Home | Reviews | Camera Cases | Backpacks | Domke

Domke OutPack Photo Backpack Backpacks

2.5/5 (2 Reviews)

The super smart pack that delivers a modular, compartmentalized carrying system. One that allows you to access the equipment you need without exposing the equipment you don't. And everything can be safely opened and accessed while the pack is upright -

Submitted by dhargus a Professional

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2006

Strengths:    Nice slim pack design. I was wanting this to last me many, many years after doing a lot of research on the photo packs.

Weaknesses:    Zippers are junk! Domke will not support or fix broke zipper. The enitre photopack is of no use.

Bottom Line:
This is a nice photo pack except for one thing. The main zipper broke on me while photographying in Utah's Arches National Park. I managed to get my equipment back to the car safely. However, I called Domke to inquire about getting
the pack fixed. they said they no longer manufacture the pack and sorry, will not fix it. This pack has seen minimal use, looks brand new except for the broke zipper. So I'm out some $200+ and a nice pack. I wil not be buying Domke products again!

Purchased At:   Local camera store

Submitted by RT Hasbrouck a Intermediate from Pleasanton, CA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2000

Strengths:    Lots of zipper-accessed compartments and a variety of configurations possible through use of Velcro-edged dividers. The three section lens compartment swings out. It accomodates my 100-400 Canon IS, Tamron 28-300 and Sigma 17-35 zooms, Canon 50 mm and a 2X converter. There is space behind the lens compartment where I can stash my two exposure meters and the "raincoat" Domke includes with the bag.

Other compartments allow two Canon EOS bodies, another lens, filter wallets, flash, instruction books, etc. I like the idea that you only have to open one compartment at a time---nice in rain/snow/blowing sand. It is also nice that it can be stood up, rather than laid flat, to gain access to the gear.

The suspension provides for comfortable carrying, and can be hidden away behnd a zippered cover, allowing the bag to be carried like luggage. There is a place for carrying a tripod on one side. However, without a tripod, the average crook won't recognize it as a camera bag. Stows nicely in an airline overhead rack.

Weaknesses:    None noted. However, I would have liked the material to have been Cordura or similar. I don't know how well the nylon material used will stand up to severe abuse--e.g., dragging across rocks, through heavy brush, etc. It might do just fine.

Bottom Line:
I've had this pack since Spring 2000. It has been to Europe twice plus on several photography classes (Bodie and Pt Reyes), and other trips. I've found it to be comfortable and convenient to use. I bought it after visually comparing it with a Lowe photo backpack, and hearing the positive comments of a professional photographer/friend (who owns both the Domke and Lowe packs). Aside from wondering if Cordura would have been a better material (my reason for a 4-star Overall Rating), I have absolutely no regrets.

Purchased At:   B&H Photo

Similar Products Used:   A somewhat smaller Tamrac photo backpack.