Home | Reviews | Camera Cases | Backpacks | Lowepro

Lowepro Orion Trekker Backpacks

3.59/5 (17 Reviews)

Perfect for carrying small to medium 35mm systems or compact Video 8 Camcorder, the Orion Trekker is a combination backpack/belt pack.

Submitted by PHD-S a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2014

Strengths:    Sturdy, doesnt look like i am carrying expensive camera equipment, Ok for daytrips but dont take too much stuff

Weaknesses:    Just too small for 4 lenses, camera body & flashunit in te lower compartment. no storage for tripod, no rainmac, weak zippers (zip on top compartment needed replacing), no external pocket / netting for waterbottle.

Bottom Line:
10 years of use for daytrips

Purchased At:   HAFO - Den Haag Neth

Submitted by beltandbraces a Expert

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2011

Strengths:    comfortable to wear
well made
good for carrying your lunch and a sweatshirt.

Weaknesses:    No all weather protection
padded camera equipment storage area far too small for DSLR use
waist/chest strap too short (and I am midium build only)
no extenal tripod/monopod storage

Bottom Line:
Although well made as all Lowepro products, in my opinion this isn't really a camera bag at all. It is a day rucksack with a camera compartment at the bottom and nothing else.
The top section is not much use for camera equipment as it does not offer any protection at all, although OK for a sweatshirt and your sandwiches.
The bottom compartment will carry a DSLR with medium zoom lens, one spare lens and little else.
OK, so it looks like and ordinary rucksack and may not attract thieves, but that's about it.

There are significant design faults too.
First, the waist strap is too short for anyone over a medium build unless you want to develop a strangulated hernia.
Secondly, no external tripod/monopod holder.
Third, in this model there is not a retractable waterproof cover as with other Lowepro models…why?

So in a nutshell, if you want a day rucksack you can put a small amount of DSLR camera equipment in, a sweatshirt and your sandwiches in (no drinks though in case they leak into the camera bit underneath) then this may me for you. I otherwise assess that the Lowepro Orion is an ill though out design and certainly isn’t for me for everyday use. For photography only days, I will stick to my Lowepro Slingshot camera bag, which is a most excellent product indeed and highly recommended.

Purchased At:   present

Similar Products Used:   Lowepro Slingshot

Submitted by Kace a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2004

Strengths:    Carries your camera in a padded pocket.
Doesn't immediately look like a camera bag.
Fits into airline "hand baggage" no worries.

Weaknesses:    Small
Uncomfortable
Slow access

Bottom Line:
I loved the idea of this bag, it should be versatile and it's not as immediately appealling to theives as a more conventional/obvious camera bag. However, having used it for a year or so, I can't recommend it at all. The non-camera compartment is too small to be any real use (won't even hold A4 paper unfolded), and use of any of the pockets eats into the space further.
It has very little stiffness, shape or support making it uncomfortable and sweaty in use. Anyone over about 5 ft tall will find the waist band too high, which only exacerbates the problem.
Surprised to read good reviews of the camera compartment, I find that a 35mm SLR and one spare lens fill it completely (OK, you can fit in a change of filter but not much else).
It takes seemingly ages to get the camera out - even with a friend to help! I guess this is good for security again, but I've missed a few animal shots while I fought with the zips and buckle.
A nice idea that nobody bothered to think through.

Similar Products Used:   "Ordinary" (non-photo) backpack

Submitted by Paul a Casual

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2003

Strengths:    You can fit A LOT of gear into the bottom section if you pack carefully. I regulary carry my Pentax ZX-M (with winder, in everready case, 35-80mm zoom attached), a 16mm lens, a 24mm lens, a 50mm lens, a 80-200zoom lens, Sunpak flash, 10 filters, film, etc. If I don't want to haul my SLR it also does of nice job holding my camcorder & accessories and my point & shoot.

Weaknesses:    The upper pocket is decent for day trips but I would have liked something a little bigger for longer trips. As it is, it will hold a (thin) windbreaker, my organizer, a few snacks/candy bars, keys, etc. I would have like a few easily accessible mesh pockets on the outside. As others have mentioned, you can't access your gear quickly - I am currently shopping for a more compact waist pack (probably the Off Trail) to carry when hiking.

Bottom Line:
I have had my Orion for about a year and a half, and have been very pleased. It has been through 5 states with me and has held up beautifully.

Purchased At:   B&H

Submitted by carr32 a Casual

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2003

Strengths:    Cheap and versatile. Well padded photo compartment.

Weaknesses:    Quality is so-so. Stitching on mine has started to come apart after a 2 week trip. Slow access to camera. No attachment straps for tripod.

Bottom Line:
The product is a compromise. Its great for travelling where there's room for photo gear, travel documents, food, water etc. However room for additional lenses and flash is limited. Longer zooms will have to go into the upper compartment. Weight distribution is far from ideal and not at all comfortable compared to a proper backpack.

Purchased At:   Cathay Photo