Home | Reviews | Camera Cases | Backpacks | Lowepro

Lowepro Photo Trekker AW Backpacks

4.75/5 (8 Reviews)

The versatile Photo Trekker AW is one of our best-selling Trekker packs. The roomy interior will take up to 2 large pro SLRs with lenses attached plus 6-8 other lenses (including a 400 mm/f2.8 lens), a flash and accessories. The bottom portion of the pack can be arranged to hold medium format equipment, including a large 6 x 7 camera or 4 x 5 field camera system. The Photo Trekker AW comes with the Trekker Tripod Mount and SlipLock loops for Street and Field stuff.

Submitted by mjs1973 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2005

Strengths:    Lots of room.
Built to last.
Customizable interior.
Cumfy sholder straps.
Top of the line bag.

Weaknesses:    non

Bottom Line:
I love this bag! I have been able to carry two complete systems in this bag. One film, and one digital, with room for all the extras that go along with both. This bag has tons of room, and is build to last. I have two LowePro bags and they are both top notch in my book. The padding system works very well, and you can customize the interior to whatever meets your needs. I had mine filled with about 30lbs of gear and never once questioned the integrity of the bag. The shoulder straps have lots of padding and are designed for comfort. A great bag in my book.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Targus backpack

Submitted by Polonius a Casual

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2004

Strengths:    Great build, fit, holds a lot of gear.

Weaknesses:    Perhaps not the best choice if you don't have a lot of gear.
Conspicuous.

Bottom Line:
I wanted to bring my camera along on hiking day trips. Equipment: SLR, a few lenses, Gitzo 1228 tripod, lunch and spare clothes.

I bought the Mini Trekker first, but it didn't feel quite comfortable enough (waist strap too high up), and the tripod holder on the Mini Trekker made the tripod flop around too much (since tripod is somewhat taller than that bag).

So I brought the Mini back and bought this Photo Trekker AW (would have gotten the slightly smaller & cheaper Nature Trekker AW, had it been in stock). The problems mentioned above are completely solved. I am 6' and after adjustment it fits great. The neat torso length adjustment system should also accomodate ppl several inches taller than I am. Revi

There is of course plenty of space to hold my photo equipment. However - as with all other photo backbacks I have seen - there isn't much space for non-photo stuff. This makes me wonder whether it would have been wiser to get a shoulder bag and place it in a regular backpack (for me, hiking with a shoulder bag is out of the question - not comfortable enough).

Similar Products Used:   Mini Trekker

Submitted by Brent a Intermediate from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2003

Strengths:    Quality construction
Tons of room
Comfortable

Weaknesses:    Tripod mount is designed for mini-tripods, not full-size pro tripods.

Bottom Line:
I just received this pack yesterday, and have already loaded all my gear into it. I am very pleased with it overall. Very well designed, they haven't missed anything as far as I can tell. I don't have enough gear to fill up the pack, maybe someday. My big reason for purchasing this particular pack was to carry my current gear, as well as my usual dayhiking gear, like a first aid kit, food, water, extra clothes. This pack should fit the bill nicely. I was happy to see the enormous pockets. I figure I can store my 100 oz. Camelback bladder in there. I also like the design of the AW cover, and the fact that the straps can be hidden for travel. Very disappointed in the tripod mount, though. My Bogen 3021PRO does not fit. Well, I can get one leg in the pocket, but it's not very stable. And the little elastic bands don't hold a heavy tripod like this very steady. I will be buying some nylon straps shortly. And even with the tripod mount at it's lowest on the pack, the tripod is still a "tree catcher", rising high above my head. Still need to figure out how to solve this one.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   LowePro Off Trail 1. Love it, but I'm starting to outgrow it for some of my trips.

Submitted by Dennis Darby a Intermediate from UK

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2001

Strengths:    Large, deep, high quality, every thing you dreamed of in a photo backback and more (including a top zipper pouch for passport/tickets/sunglasses). Carries an amazing amount of gear, and seems to always have room for one more lens. Wonderfully comfortable straps, and a handle in the perfect place when the straps are zipped in for air travel. I like the tripod holder for my Glitzo G1228. Perfect! One side pouch is padded for quick access to a lens, the other isn't padded and holds my water bottle. The integrated All Weather cover is an absolute requirement, and is much lighter than the backpack covers I've had to carry around for years.

Weaknesses:    Well it could be somewhat less expensive.
I'd like a velcro pull off for the LowePro name, so it doesn't say "Rob me" in Narobi.
If I had a CF pouch on the strap, I'd think I'd died and went to heaven!!

Bottom Line:
If you need a large comfortable world class backback for a lot(!) of equipment (that will still fit in an airplane overhead), this is it. Buy it. It cost less than any single lens I carry, and protects them all very, very well.

Purchased At:   robertwhite.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Numerous backpacks and camera bags which wore out my shoulder and skinned up my cameras.
Lowerpro Minitrecker (Well build, but gets crowed with too many lenses.) I'll never give it up for short trips!

Submitted by Tom Davis a Expert from Pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2001

Strengths:    Size: It carries EVERYTHING, including my Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 in its monster CL-43A carrying case. I didn't think that was possible.
Comfort: Despite the weight of the bag (it's no lightweight), it is very comfortable - even when fully loaded.
Padding: Provides excellent protection for your expensive gear.
Fits in Airline Overheads: You look at it and you say "No way." Measure it - it works. Stuff it in the carry on compartment - it works. I carry a little card in my wallet that compares the bag's dimensions to the airline rules just in case I run into an aggressive flight attendant. (By the way, it doesn't make it with the tripod attached.)

Weaknesses:    I never could get the hang of the Lowepro tripod straps. I always feel like an apprentice juggler at the circus. My Bogen 3221 with a 3047 head just doesn't feel right back there. I finally bought an Op/Tech tripod strap ($20 or so)and just throw the tripod over my shoulder.

Bottom Line:
The perfect bag for me. I almost went for the Nature Trekker. Glad I didn't. The bag is always packed and ready to go. I grab it and "organize" in the field. When I'm not carrying it, I use it as my primary storage unit.

I used to own a Mini Trekker. My wife "moved it," and broke the eyepiece on my primary camera. The Photo Trekker AW has proven to be spouse proof.

At first I thought that the bag was a little pricey. Now that I own it and use it, I feel that "quality costs." If Lowepro didn't already make this bag, I'd be bugging them to invent it.

Purchased At:   eBay