Home | Reviews | Camera Cases | Soft Case | Lowepro

Lowepro Nova 2 Soft Case

4.63/5 (8 Reviews)

• BrandLowepro
    Photography Accessory TypeCarrying Cases and Camera Bags

This great traveller has external elastic mesh pockets, a NoDrop Pocket™ to prevent spills when you change lenses or filters, and an OverLap Zipper™ for added protection against dust, moisture and hard knocks. The Nova 2 holds a SLR with a lens attached, plus 2-3 extra lenses.

Submitted by markgoldberg a Professional

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2006

Strengths:    Great protection for its size and weight, excellent build quality and feature design

Weaknesses:    Hard to get to front pocket at times, better strap attachment hardware would be nice. Strap thing is my main gripe. Would have gotten 5 stars if not for this.

Bottom Line:
Those of us who are constantly evolving and updating our camera and lens arsenals are also in a continuous flow of new bags to hold that stuff. One writer said "You can never have enough camera bags."

This is my second Lowepro bag. I had been carrying my new (then) D70 with 18-70 and accessory flash in a small Samsonite bag. I had a very large Tamrac case designed to take the whole arsenal of bodies, lenses, and flashes to paying gigs. The older Lowepro is a beefy, heavily padded case which could carry two bodies with a few lenses and/or flashes, but was still too big for comfort when touring.

Lowepro also came heavily recommended from my Nikon School instructors, and the latest ones had very well though-out features, like front pouches designed NOT to fall open and dump the contents (a problem of my Tamrac case.) I looked at the various Nova AW models and found the Nova 2 as the optimum choice for my application. The Nova 3, while larger physically, was designed to carry more skinny lenses but were not up to holding some of the fatter zooms I used with my D70.

The Nova 2 was optimum for me because it could hold the D70 body with compartments on each side to hold two lenses, or a lens and a flash. In fact, I have been able to carry THREE lenses - one zoom on cam, two smaller lenses (28-200 and 10.5 fisheye in one pocket and my SB-800 (with dome) in another. It is most comfortable with the 18-70 on cam, but I can get away with the 17-55 if I'm carefull.

There's space in front for things like extra batteries, extra cards, lens cleaner, and transfer cables. There's a pocket in the back which can hold a manual and one of those little folding reflectors. There are mesh pocket on both sides which hold a pocket tripod and some of my advertising goodies, plus a small exterior pocket on the lid for lens cleaner pouches and pocket change.

The strap is nicely designed with two surfaces - a non slip on one side, and a gel pad on the other. The strap is contouted. My only gripes are that the strap does not have swivels, so changing shoulders is inconvenient if you want a particular side. One one or two occasions, the strap has popped off, so a nicer snap attachments would be better. There is a carrying handle on top which is great for some situations. There is also a rain cover which can be deployed if needed.

Overall, this bag holds a lot for its size, and offers very good protection.

Purchased At:   B&H

Similar Products Used:   Lowepro, Samsonite, Tamrac, Ritz, Portabrace

Submitted by Bellthecat2003 a Intermediate from Lake Hopatcong, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2003

Strengths:    Holds a lot of equipment for its size
Plenty of zippered pockets
Solid construction
Inexpensive
Well-padded
Comfortable

Weaknesses:    Shoulder strap is not removable, but that is a very, very minor complaint

Bottom Line:
The LowePro Nova 2 is a well-designed, nicely-sized bag in the Nova series. It's suitable for carrying a 35mm camera body and a couple of lenses, plus a lot of other stuff in the various zippered pockets. It comes with two padded dividers that can be moved to suit, and that stay in place with Velcro. It's comfortable to carry, with a well-padded shoulder strap and a padded handle.

Purchased At:   Denville Camera, Den

Similar Products Used:   Off-brand bag

Submitted by SG a Beginner

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2001

Strengths:    Rugged construction
Well padded

Weaknesses:    The only drawback is that the shoulder strap is not removeable.

Bottom Line:
What a great little bag! My Minolta X370 easily fits in the bag with a lens on it, an extra lens, and a flash. Plenty of room for film and instruction manuals. I don't worry about my equipment, the bag is well padded. Easy to carry, looks good too.

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   None

Submitted by j. mcintosh a Intermediate from SF/Bay CA.

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2001

Strengths:    well padded;
well balanced;
shoulder strap = comfortable

Weaknesses:    For the size...none.

Bottom Line:
The more I cram into this bag, the more I like it:
I can fit: Camera body,sb-28 flash,50mm, 24mm, 90mm macro w/ hood, filters, x-tra batteries, blower brush, lens cleaning cloths & fluid, 6+ rolls of film and w/ (not much) room to spare.

Similar Products Used:   None

Submitted by Jim Meyer a Expert from Lenexa, KS USA

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2000

Strengths:    Well-made, good padding, well thought-out, flexible.

Weaknesses:    The strap is a little short for tall guys like me. I had to buy a longer strap to put on it.

Bottom Line:
This bag is a perfect fit for my traveling kit, which consists of a Nikon F100, 28-105, and 70-300, plus hoods, film and a few other items. The dividers are very sturdy and the padding is excellent. I feel my equipment is well-protected in this bag. It is easy to open and close, and is well-balanced. Not expensive, either!

Similar Products Used:   Other Lowepro and Tamrac bags and cases.

Type of photography:   Landscapes