Home | Reviews | Camera Cases | Soft Case | Tamrac

Tamrac 5202 Photo Explorer 2 Soft Case

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

This slim camera bag is designed to carry a 35mm or APS SLR camera with attached lens up to 6" long, an extra lens up to 7" long plus a flash and accessories. . Remove the padded shoulder strap and this shoulder bag quickly converts to a convenient hip pack for hands free action photography.

Submitted by ugi a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2004

Strengths:    great size
economy of space
price
reliability

Weaknesses:    none, though I would like to see a version where the flap opens away from you and doesn't overhang as much, which would give quicker access (like a holster bag).

Bottom Line:
I have three of these. Tamrac seems to make a hundred different iterations based on the same basic frame and size. Everytime i need a bag for a camera I decide that I want something new, but I always walk out of the store with one of these. They look compact on the outside but are very roomy inside. The boxy shape is key. It's like one of those takeout boxes from a Chinese restaurant that looks tiny but will fit a whole meal inside. Well, these bags won't fit a whole meal, but they'll fit one SLR with a regular lens attached, plus maybe one flash unit. A good quickie day pack. Very useful and portable. Good padding without becoming too thick that it's obstrusive. Good basic, reliable construction. Good price. Reliable in every way.

Similar Products Used:   Lowepro, F64, Crumpler

Submitted by tagger a Casual from Frankfurt, Germany

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2002

Strengths:    - good size, good materials, good finishing
-looks good
- inexpensive

Weaknesses:    - no rain protection

Bottom Line:
You think this bag is small?
- It realy is and that's why I like it so much. It's just perfect to take my EOS 30
(ELAN7e) with battery-pack and zoom-lens, 2 filters, a few films and something to write. And that's exactly what I need most of the times, nothing more! This is the perfect bag to have with you ALL the time as it is small enough to be taken everywhere everytime and large enough to take the most essential things with you. Carrying comfort is great and I'm using it as my everyday bag, no matter where I go.

Similar Products Used:   Lowepro:
- Pro Mag 2 AW
- Orion Trekker
- Orion Mini

Submitted by Rinat Bikineyev a Intermediate from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2001

Strengths:    Very good size

Weaknesses:    Not enough protection from rain.

Bottom Line:
Recomendet

Purchased At:   adorama.com

Similar Products Used:   LowePro Orion - too big for my equipment

Submitted by ryan a Beginner from san francisco

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2000

Strengths:    Made from sturdy yet soft fabric which feels good to carry around. Held up to a sudden downpour in Montreal.

Weaknesses:    No good mechanism to add features.

Bottom Line:
A good quality bag that can easily fit my large SLR body (Nikon 2020), zoom lens (tamron 28-105) as well as an external flash (Promaster 7000M which is a bit of a squeeze since it's so long). I don't know that you would be able to cram much more into the main compartment of the bag. I wish it had some straps on the side that would be suitable for attaching accessories -- ie a water bottle, or an extra lense case. The bag is large enough that I would like it to also carry around things like a map, or a book, but there really is no good place for stuff like that.
I carried it around for several days, and it was very comfortable. I found when it got tiresome to shoulder it, I could put on the waist straps and it spread the weight out great.

Similar Products Used:   Smaller Loweprowe (TLZ Mini) which fits only my camera and lens - no flash.

Submitted by I. Peters a Casual from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2000

Strengths:    Very compact and slim; love the hip belt; the bag does not feel heavy even when fully packed and carried as shoulder bag. Holds a lot more than you'd think.

Weaknesses:    I find the velcro-fastened dividers a little tedious to deal with. Then again: you pretty much do it only once anyway, to arrange it for your personal preferences...

Bottom Line:
A very nice bag for a reasonable price. Has the look and feel of a quality product. Great compact, slim size for air travel carry-on if you are like me - always traveling with a good-size purse, a carry-on bag AND a photo bag - now I simply stash theTamrac 5202 into my carry-on and don't have to deal with any more bags than I have hands! Recommended!!

Similar Products Used:   Just looked at a similar LowePro; didn't buy it because I found the Tamrac bag to be more flexible; also, with the

Type of photography:   Landscapes