Home | Reviews | Cameras | Camcorders | Digital Camcorders | JVC

Night ShotWithout Night Shot
    Audio FormatPCM Digital Stereo
    Digital Still Shot ModeWith Still Shot Capability
    MPEG Movie ModeWithout MPEG Movie Mode
    Output InterfacesS-Video • Composite (Video) • Audio (RCA) • FireWire / DV / i.Link
    Input InterfacesFireWire / DV / iLink
    Microphone TypeInternal
    Battery TypeProprietary Lithium
    Battery Life1 Hours
    Warranty1 Year
    Included AccessoriesSoftware • Shoulder Strap • Lithium Propriety Battery • AC Power Adapter • Remote Control
    MPNgr-dvf21

• Resolution: 680K pixels
  • Optical/Digital Zoom: 16X/400X
  • LCD Screen: 2.5 inches
  • Image Stabilization: Yes

Submitted by Robert M. a Beginner from Galveston, Indiana, USA

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2001

Strengths:    I think the strength of this product is the ease of use. It took me only a few minutes to figure out all of the buttons and capabilities.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness that I found was that you could not put titles(Happy B-day,Happy Holidays,etc.)while you taped.

Bottom Line:
    When I first used this digital camcorder and saw the amazing picture clarity I knew this was the coolest thing since I bought my DVD player. The picture makes you feel that you are actually there.

Submitted by Greg Evans a Beginner from Helena, AL, USA

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2001

Strengths:    Cost and performance for general digital filming of family events.

Weaknesses:    Lack of support for an external microphone.

Bottom Line:
    This purchase represented my first experience with digital video. I have been impressed with the quality of the image produced by this camera and its ease of use. The footage imports perfectly into my Windows PC for video editing. I have had no problem sending the editied vido (with titles, soundtrack, and captions) back out to the camera. I have also recorded the edited DV tapes to VHS with no problem. The biggest drawback that this camera has (in my opinion) is that it does not have a jack for an external microphone.

Submitted by Norman a Intermediate from Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2000

Strengths:    Easy to use with single wheel button accessing all functions on screen
    16x optical zoom

Weaknesses:    DV-in fuction is so limited, it is effectively non-functional.
    This camcorder should not claim to have a DV-in function.

Bottom Line:
    Bought JVC GR-DVL20 AUD$1700 and Sony TRV11 AUD$2150 at the same time. JVC is far easier to use with all functions being able to be accessed on screen with the wheel/button, i.e. no fumbling around trying to look for buttons while concentrating on shooting footage.
    Sony also has Wheel/button along with 10 other buttons scattered all over the camcorder. The Wheel/button on the Sony is in an arkward position.
    To compare the two camcorders I used 1 DV tape which I swapped between the two and watch the tape to see the differences. JVC with 16x optical zoom prove far more useful than the 10x optical zoom on the Sony. When shooting a black book cover that filled 1/3 of the screen, the Sony recorded the book cover with specaled colour spots. Digital effects on the JVC are far more effective that the Sony.

BIG FLaw on the JVC. Although the specifications may say it has a DV-in function, the camcorder will only record (via firewire cable) footage that has not been edited with titles, scene transitions. This has been confirmed to me by the technical staff at JVC Australia.

I was so happy to have been to the Sydney Olympics 2000 and shot lots of footage. At home I imported the footage to my Apple Mac G4, edited it, added titles, scene transitions and a sound track. When it came time to export my "Olympics imove masterpiece" back to the JVC camcorder(planning then to record the imove to a VHS tape), the camcorder abruptly shut down.!!!!!!!!@#$%!!!!!

Can anyone help me. Is the some way to fix this problem???