Home | Reviews | Cameras | Camcorders | Digital Camcorders | JVC

Filter Diameter37 mm
    Recording SpeedSP • LP
    Image StabilizerWith Image Stabilizer
    Audio Format12/16 Bit PCM Digital Stereo/Audio Dub
    Memory Card TypeSD Card • Multimedia Card (MMC)
    Digital Still Shot ModeWith Still Shot Capability
    Max Still Image Size1024 x 768
    MPEG Movie ModeWithout MPEG Movie Mode
    Output InterfacesS-Video • Composite (Video) • Audio (RCA) • FireWire / DV / i.Link • USB
    Input InterfacesFireWire / DV / iLink
    Microphone TypeInternal
    Battery TypeProprietary Lithium
    Battery Life1.25 Hours
    Warranty1 Year
    Included Accessories2 x AAA Batteries • Software • USB Cable • A/V Cable • Shoulder Strap • 8 MB Memory Card • Lithium Propriety Battery • AC Power Adapter • Remote Control • Lens Cap
    Product ID20250444

• Sensor: 680,000 Pixel, 1/4" Interlace CCD
  • Lens: 10x f/1.8 Optical Zoom w. 700X Digital Hyper Zoom with Spline Interpolation and Digital Image Stabilizer
  • HG Digital Stills (1024x768/ 640x480)
  • MultiMedia Card/ SD Memory Card compatibility
  • Variable-speed Shutter, Manual focus, Exposure, and White Balance modes
  • Interface: USB and i.Link Digital Input/Output (IEEE 1394 compliant) DV in/out
  • S-Video Output

Submitted by txgirl a Casual

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2005

Strengths:    Memory Card, built-in flash/light, small, lightweight, sturdy, GREAT!!

Weaknesses:    none yet!

Bottom Line:
    I got this camera for graduation from college...it has been incredible! I use it mostly for pictures. The memory card is VERY convienient. The quality is great too! I would reccommend it to anyone!

Submitted by sdsmith a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2004

Strengths:    Gets the job done. Not too small. Accessories are widely available.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't appear to be constructed as well as I'd like for applications such as backpacking. I'd be very concerned about dropping it or allowing children to use it given how delicate the view screen feels.

Bottom Line:
    Given what I bought the camera for I'm pleased. I've been working with it a bit and find that it fits my hand well. A fact that appears to be lost on the "ever smaller" focus is that many of us have much larger hands and fingers...than the buttons and even bodies of the newer cameras.

For personal, fun and vacation use this camera is fine. When I need better zoom or sound I use a better camera but if you don't need it, why pay for it? There are only so many ways to watch the darling children on holidays and no one really wants to see that drivel outside of you and, on occassion, them. Buy only what you need and this is a decent buy for that.

Purchased At:   Local Pawn Shop

Similar Products Used:   Canon Optura, Sony, Sharp

Submitted by Michael Jones a Casual

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2004

Strengths:    sturdy. Mini DV

Weaknesses:    Small Screen Size, 700x digital zoom is worthless. More than a 20-30 digital zoom is pointless. Sound quality is somewhat poor

Bottom Line:
    Overall this is a satisfactory camera. It has all the right ports for connecting to the computer. The sound quality is not tha great but I have yet to see good sound quality on a small camcorder.

Purchased At:   Costco

Submitted by shsinha a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2003

Strengths:    This is a good camcorder for consumer. Built-in light is useful. small shape, recording quality is good.

Weaknesses:    The still picture has two mode
    640x480 and 1024x768 but the second one is just done using interpolation, sucks :( . Bad fuse design (read above), flimsy LCD display, digital zoom is pretty bad (10x is optical and useful) and picture comes out digitized (no-smoothening).

Bottom Line:
    I had terrible experience with it. After the warranty is over, this stopped working (no power up). Took it a JVC dealer repair shop (George Meyer, Santa Monica). He tried to rip me by asking me to pay $275 for labor and $22.00 for parts. I did not repair it from that guy. Finally, I bought the repair manual ($16) and opened the stuff myself. A microfuse on the main board was gone, which I replaced it myself and costed me 59 cents for a new microfuse. Though there is competetion in getting the thing smaller, there is no need to put a fuse soldered on the main board which most people can't even identify/access. If it fails often, let the consumer access it from outside (using a glass molded fuse). I assume that companies do it intentially to help the dealers rip you as soon as it breaks or you will end up buying a new item.

Submitted by Shana Ervin a Casual from Washington, DC

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2003

Strengths:    Works for about 11 months with no problem.

Weaknesses:    E01 REMOVE AND REATTACH BATTERY error msg happens right after warranty and cost over $100 to fix. I think JVC knows about this as a product default but continues to manufacture and take advantage of the consumer. RIDICULOUS!!

Bottom Line:
    After having this camera for a year. I now get an error message, "E01 UNIT IN SAFEGUARD MODE REMOVE AND REATTACH BATTERY". I removed and reattached battery and I still get this error message. I searched online and found that there are others that have gotten the message; had to pay $100 or so to fix and a few months later the problem happens again. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!

Purchased At:   BuyDig.com