Home | Reviews | Cameras | Camcorders | Digital Camcorders | Sony

4/5 (5 Reviews)

• Warranty1 Year
    MPNdcr-trv19
    Battery TypeProprietary Lithium
    Included Accessories1 x AA Battery • USB Cable • A/V Cable • Shoulder Strap • Driver • Lithium Propriety Battery • AC Power Adapter • Remote Control • Lens Cap
    Audio Format12/16 Bit PCM Digital Stereo/Audio Dub
    Input InterfacesFireWire / DV / iLink
    Filter Diameter30 mm

MiniDV Handycam Camcorder
  • 1/4", 680K Gross Pixels Advanced HAD™ CCD
  • Lens: Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 10X Optical zoom/ 120 X Digital zoom w. SteadyShot Picture Stabilization
  • 2.5 in. Color LCD
  • USB Streaming
  • i.LINK® DV Interface (IEEE1394)
  • USB

Submitted by dd4500 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2005

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    does not work

Bottom Line:
    I used this camera about 6 times, about 45 minutes of recording time. LCD and viewfinder went black, Bad CCD module
    Quality and customer support very poor, will not work with customer to solve problem
    Sony has bad problem with this family of cameras CCD module fails after short period of time. Cost to repair $269.00
    I will will not purchase or recommend Sony products

Submitted by Peydge a Beginner

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2004

Strengths:    small, easy to use, fits my needs and my budget.

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any so far. :)

Bottom Line:
    This is my first and I am glad I made the right choice. It took me awhile to choose but when I saw this camera I knew that this was the one for me!

Purchased At:   Ansons (Philippines)

Submitted by ferret a Casual

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2004

Strengths:    16:9 widescreen mode, B&W, sepia etc.
    frame rec., audio dubbing

Weaknesses:    TVR14 has got all the above, but the DV-in, and is cheaper. video uses 400k pixel, as opposed to 680k used by TVR33.
    wide angle is not super wide, but d'you expect

Bottom Line:
    Good & small, smart. low light filming is reputedly better than panasonic's. looks are much better than cannon. JVCs are not as durable, nor are samsungs.

Purchased At:   ASK Electronics

Similar Products Used:   (in a shop) TVR33, panasonic GSD50

Submitted by dave2photo a Casual

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2003

Strengths:    I tried ALL the top available models - Hitachi, Panasonic, JVC, Sony & Canon. Sony & Canon had the best Image Stabilization (equal) - most of the others were pretty poor.
    Sony TRV's for ergonomics, hands-down.
    Sony TRV's for low light, hands-down.
    Sony TRV-19 price lower than Canon Optura 20.
    Sony & Canon equal in terms of build quality, both very good!

The Sony TRV-19 met my stated criteria the best, and I researched and demo'd a lot! If you don't mind the extra bulk, and having less low light performance than the TRV-19, and are willing to pay a little more for a somewhat usable still shot feature, then the Canon Optura 20 would be my next choice - and the Canon comes with some extra software and a 32Mb memory stick which is a nice touch, but not enough to sway me from the TRV-19. It's a great little camera, comfortable, easy to use and performs very well for the features I stated that were most important to me.

The Sony TRV-19 won out over the Canon Optura 20 mainly because it was better for me ergonomically (I liked the smaller size), had better low light capability, and was cheaper.

Weaknesses:    Would like a built in video light.
    Would like a built in windscreen, but instead will simply glue a small piece of microphone windscreen foam over the mic holes on the body of the camera.

Bottom Line:
    What do you want your camcorder to do?

These are the features I considered most important to me:

Video quality - as good as possible for a reasonable price, digital at a minimum.
    Image stabilization - I don't generally carry a tripod around with me, and hate shaky, amateurish looking handheld shots.
    Ergonomics/portability - Other cameras may have different/better features, but if the camera is uncomfortable to hold, or the size means I'm less inclined to take it with me after the "new toy" glow wears off, then what good are those other features? I'd rather have some video than none at all.
    Low light capability - I shoot family stuff indoors, under less than ideal lighting conditions, this is important!.
    Price - I did not want a case of "buyers remorse", or feeling like I spent more than I should have unnecessarily.
    Build quality - I hate junk!

Features NOT important to me:

Analog to digital conversion - I already have a DVD recorder that does this.
    Still photo capabilities - I'm shooting video, not stills. And, since ALL camcorders do this poorly, save your money and buy a digital still camera instead.
    DVD format (instead of MiniDV) - Unless you want to have a stack (hundreds) of little DVD's lying around, you will probably be transferring the video you record to another medium anyways, so the camera media is a temporary holder - MiniDV, Digital8 or DVD format doesn't matter, it's all going to computer for editing and permanent storage elsewhere. MiniDV is fine, especially because of the smaller size.

With this criteria in mind, and based on all the reviews I've read, I narrowed my choices down to the Canon Optura 20 and the Sony TRV 19. The Canon had better video quality and a 3.5" LCD, but the extra bulk meant I'd be less inclined to take it with me hiking, and would probably use it less often just because of the larger size. The other Sony models TRV-22, TRV-33, & TRV-38 were also given consideration, but lost out mainly because the added price/features of the TRV-22/TRV-33 did not add anything in terms of my stated criteria, and although the TRV-38 has a better image quality CCD, it's smaller, meaning less low light capability than the TRV-19, and the added bulk of the 3.5" screen and battery drain made it less appealing, not to mention the hefty increase in price.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Similar Products Used:   None.

Submitted by 311girlie a Beginner

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2003

Strengths:    Great picture quality. Easy to use.

Bottom Line:
    This is a great camcorder for a novice. I thought it would take me a day or two to be able to use it. It took me about 5 minutes. It is so easy!!! I recommend this camcorder for anyone.

Purchased At:   American