Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 3 Megapixels and Smaller | Canon

Interchangeable LensNot Interchangeable Lenses
    35mm Zoom Lens35 - 105 mm
    Digital Zoom2.5x
    Focus TypeAutofocus & Manual Focus
    Focus Range18 in. to Infinity (w)
    Macro Focus Range2 - 18 in. (w) / 10 - 18 in. (t)
    Focal Length5.4 - 16.2 mm
    Max Movie Length180 Seconds
    Video FormatAVI
    Aperture Rangef2.8/f4.8 (w/t)
    Shutter Speed15 - 1/2000 sec
    White BalanceAuto • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Cloudy (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Tungsten (Preset) • Flash (Preset)
    Frames Per Second2.6 Frames
    Memory TypeCompactFlash Card Type I
    Compression ModesFine • SuperFine
    Compression TypeJPEG
    File Size (High Res.)0.98 MB (131 images on 128MB card)
    File Size (Low Res.)0.08 MB (about 1,600 images on 128MB card)
    ISO SpeedsAuto • 50 • 100 • 200 • 400
    Flash TypeBuilt-In
    Flash FunctionsFlash Off • Auto Flash • Red-eye Reduction Flash
    ViewfinderOptical (Through-the-lens)
    Interface TypeUSB
    Battery Type2 x AA Batteries
    Battery Life350 Images
    Self Timer2 Sec. • 10 Sec.
    Mp3 Built In
    Built-in SpeakerWith Built-in Speaker
    Tripod MountWith Tripod Mount
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS 9 • Apple Mac OS X • Microsoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows 98 • Microsoft Windows 98SE • Microsoft Windows ME • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition • Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Width4 in.
    Warranty1 Year
    Included Accessories4 x AA Batteries • Software • USB Cable • Video Cable • Hand Strap • 16 MB Memory Card
    MPN000664206

• Interface: USB

Submitted by Kerby a Casual

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2006

Weaknesses:    E 18 error

Bottom Line:
    When I first got this camera I was thrilled! The clarity of the photos I took wer amazing for only being 2.0 megapixels. I was more than happy with my camera for almost three years, untill all of a sudden my shudder started acting up. It either wouldn't close or open and a message saying E18 would appear on the screen. I researched this error and found that it is apparently a common problem in many models of canon cameras....and canon would not take responsibilty for it. They say that it is due to owner misuse or abuse of the camera. I can assure you that I have never been anything but careful with my camera so that really isn't possible. Now my camera is very temperamental and will work only on occassion. Do not by this camera or any other power shot camera. Because of my experience with this camera I will never buy another canon product.

Submitted by Lisa Jochelson a Beginner

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2003

Strengths:    Digital zoom, and movies with sound

Bottom Line:
    This camera is an improvement over the last 2.0 megapixel canon I owned. Comes with a higher memory card, however I had bought a bigger one so I was just able to use it in the new camera. The improvement on the digital zoom is wonderful.

Submitted by reptyl4u a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2003

Strengths:    Image quality, weight, cost

Weaknesses:    battery life

Bottom Line:
    Big bang for the buck on this one. No need to spend a lot to get a high quality photo. Canon is a top quality product and if for any reason that you do have a problem, their customer service cannot be beat.

Submitted by Lisa a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2003

Strengths:    I love everything about this camera besides it's average lagging shutter speed...to be expected.

Weaknesses:    Lagging shutter speed
    LCD is easily scratched
    Dust/the like easily wedged behind LCD

Bottom Line:
    I am extremelly pleased with this digital camera. After having researched nearly 50 cameras that were disirable to me, this one stood out. I purchased it from a Canon Dealer at a local show, and they were more than eager to help me.

My main concern was whether to get the A60 or bump up to the A70, for the extra optical zoom and MP's. After talking to them, I realised for my purposes I did not need anything larger than a 2MP.

The A60's sleek build and the ability for it to be held very easily was a major thing. I am VERY impressed with this camera, and hope to purchase possibly another Canon when the 5MP come to the price 2MP are.

Purchased At:   Local Robinson's Cam

Submitted by Jake Richards a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2003

Strengths:    -Aperature and shutter priority modes
    -Full manual mode
    -Exposure compensation
    -Flash output adjustability
    -Macro mode
    -Extra lens attachments available
    -Excellent auto focus (even in low light)
    -Adjustable film ISO speeds

Weaknesses:    Battery consumption. Invest in the good rechargeable Ni-MH batteries and charger.

Bottom Line:
    After owning several high end 35mm SLR cameras, I decided to venture into the digital world. I really would haved liked to have bought a digital SLR, but the budget did not allow. Enter the Canon Powershot A60.

With awesome features such as, exposure compensation, control of aperature and shutter speeds, program modes for easy point and shoot and movie mode, the Canon Powershot A60 was the clear choice.

This camera takes great pictures. At only 2.0mp, images are decently sharp (although not comparable to a 5mp camera) and true to colour. I have not printed any photos yet, so I cannot comment on that.

Overall this camera is a great entry level digital with options and flexability so even the most advanced photographer will have fun with it.

Purchased At:   Futureshop Canada

Problem with LCD on Cannon A60 Powershot

My brother has a Cannon Powershot A60. The camera works with the exception of the LCD screen. If he wants to use it for framming the sceen for taking a picture the LCD has lines in it and is jumping around. I have looked on line and also looked through the manual and still don't see an answer so ... Read More »