Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 3 Megapixels and Smaller | Canon

Interchangeable LensNot Interchangeable Lenses
    35mm Zoom Lens35 - 105 mm
    Digital Zoom3.2x
    Focus TypeAutofocus & Manual Focus
    Focus Range18 in. to Infinity (w) / 10 in. to Infinity (t)
    Macro Focus Range2 - 18 in. (w) / 10 - 18 in. (t)
    Focal Length5.4 - 16.2 mm
    Image Resolutions640 x 480 • 2048 x 1536 • 1600 x 1200 • 1024 x 768
    Video Resolutions320 x 240 (QVGA) • 640 x 480 (VGA) • 160 x 120
    Video Speed15 fps
    Max Movie Length180 Seconds
    Video FormatAVI
    Aperture Rangef4.8/f16.2 (w/t) - f2.8 (w)
    Shutter Speed15 - 1/2000 sec
    White BalanceAuto • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Cloudy (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Tungsten (Preset)
    Frames Per Second2.2 Frames
    Memory TypeCompactFlash Card Type I • CompactFlash Card Type II
    Compression ModesFine • SuperFine • Normal
    Compression TypeJPEG
    File Size (High Res.)1.56 MB (82 images on 128MB card)
    File Size (Low Res.)0.08 MB (about 1,600 images on 128MB card)
    ISO SpeedsAuto • 50 • 100 • 200 • 400
    Flash TypeBuilt-In
    Flash FunctionsFlash Off • Auto Flash • Fill-in Flash • Red-eye Reduction Flash
    ViewfinderOptical (Through-the-lens)
    Interface TypeUSB
    Battery Type4 x AA Batteries
    Battery Life250 Images
    Self Timer2 Sec. • 10 Sec.
    Mp3 Built In
    Built-in SpeakerWith Built-in Speaker
    Tripod MountWith Tripod Mount
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS 9 • Apple Mac OS X • Microsoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows 98 • Microsoft Windows 98SE • Microsoft Windows ME • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition • Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Warranty1 Year
    Exterior ColorSilver
    Included Accessories4 x AA Batteries • Software • USB Cable • Video Cable • Hand Strap • 16 MB Memory Card
    MPN000664198

• Storage media: CompactFlash Type I
  • Interface: USB

Submitted by frank2 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2004

Strengths:    uses std AA batteries, easy to use, durable, manual override controls, good multi-frame speed, cost vs. features is hard to beat.

Weaknesses:    the control dial moves when taking it in and out of the case, it did have to go in for service because of the lens retract problem but Canon fixed it no charge

Bottom Line:
    It's a great camera for what bought it for. Throw it in a jersey pocket or backpack and it there when I need it. I've taken several thousand photos with it over the last couple years. It's light enough, easy to use, and the controls allow for different photo types.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Similar Products Used:   Fuji

Submitted by Las B a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2004

Strengths:    Zoom
    Different settings when taking pictures, such as black and white, sephia.
    Battery life

Weaknesses:    The memory card door and the battery door looks flimsy.

Bottom Line:
    We decided to buy this camera after a lot of research on the internet. Almost all the reviews were that this was a great camera and i've been pretty happy with it. It took great pictures and I loved the little video mode. Get a bigger memory card because the 16mb will do nothing.

Purchased At:   Office Max

Similar Products Used:   Kodac DC3200

Submitted by Richard a Expert

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2004

Strengths:    Features for the price

Sharp lens

Pretty solid for a "plasticam". It's not all metal as the ads would lead you to believe

I love the fact that it takes AA batteries and that it seems not to be very battery-hungry. I'm using NiMH rechargeables and highly recommend them. Try the ones from Powerex

Weaknesses:    The battery and CF card doors don't look like they're going to last very long

It's a little on the heavy side due to the 4 AA batteries but that's just a tradeoff for getting the battery life and easily available replacements

The crummy little 16mb card that comes with the camera is pretty much useless. Get yourself at 256mb and never look back

Software is just so-so. Pretty much the same as all the others

Bottom Line:
    I've been using Nikon film SLRs for nearly 30 years but this is my first digital camera of any kind.

After much research, I decided on this model due to its features and price.

Although a Nikon user, I couldn't find anything from Nikon that offered as much as this Canon model did for anywhere near the price.

I've had it about a month and taken several hundred shots. Given it's limitations, I have to say that I'm very satisfied with the results.

The pictures are sharp enough to go to 8 1/2x11 although 5X7 is a lot sharper.

While I don't plan on going entirely digital (at least not yet) I've given up shooting print film and using the Canon A70 as my basic point & shoot camera for family photos, etc.

Purchased At:   B&H

Similar Products Used:   First digital but was using an Olympus Stylus Epic 80

Submitted by Merle a Beginner

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2004

Strengths:    Fully manual capable
    Ability to use canon lenses (Although I haven't yet, so don't know how well they will work.
    AA batteries
    video mode

Weaknesses:    Easy to bump the shooting mode dial when pulling camera out of case. I have ruined a few pictures when the camera was not in Auto as I expected.

Bottom Line:
    I looked at a lot of cameras before narrowing it down to this one. I really like the manual features, although I don't use them much yet. The purchase price was excellent ($408 CDN)

The macro mode is excellent, provided you manually focus. Auto focus has a hard time locking on if you are much closer than 5 inches. In manual focus, I found I could get within 1 inch. You have to manually turn off the flash for such close pictures.

Pictures are very clear. One word of warning, don't use portrait mode on young children, as the childs movements blur the picture. Better use action, or fully automatic.

The batteries are great. 4AA will easily fill 128M card, even if deleting a lot of pictures that you don't like.

My previous camera was fixed focus, so I have had a hard time getting action shots in focus. When I got the camera to focus, my timing with shooting was off, and I missed my moment. I'm not sure if this is a problem unique to this camera, or all auto focus cameras, since I haven't used them.

Purchased At:   Visions Electronics,