Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 3 Megapixels and Smaller | Canon

Camera TypeCompact
    Interchangeable LensNot Interchangeable Lenses
    35mm Zoom Lens35 - 70 mm
    Digital Zoom2.5x
    Focus Range22.44 in. to Infinity (w)
    Macro Focus Range3.9 - 10.6 in. (w) / 1.6 - 22.44 in. (t)
    Focal Length5.4 - 10.8 mm
    Image Resolutions640 x 480 • 1600 x 1200 • 1024 x 768
    Video Resolutions320 x 240 (QVGA) • 640 x 480 (VGA) • 160 x 120
    Video Speed20 fps
    Max Movie LengthWithout Limit (Depends on the camera free memory size)
    Video FormatAVI • Motion JPEG
    Aperture Rangef7.2/f10 (w/t) - f2.8/f4 (w/t)
    Shutter Speed1 - 1/1500 sec
    White BalanceAuto
    Frames Per Second2.5 Frames
    Memory TypeCompactFlash Card Type I
    Compression ModesFine • SuperFine • Normal
    Compression TypeJPEG
    File Size (High Res.)1 MB (128 images on 128MB card)
    File Size (Low Res.)0.09 MB (about 1,422 images on 128MB card)
    ISO Speeds100
    Flash TypeBuilt-In
    Flash FunctionsFlash Off • Auto Flash • Fill-in Flash • Red-eye Reduction Flash • Slow Sync
    ViewfinderOptical
    Interface TypeUSB
    Battery TypeProprietary Lithium
    Battery Life270 Images
    Self Timer10 Sec.
    Mp3 Built In
    Built-in SpeakerWithout Built-in Speaker
    Tripod MountWith Tripod Mount
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS 8 • Apple Mac OS 9 • Microsoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows 98 • Microsoft Windows ME • Microsoft Windows NT
    Warranty1 Year
    Included AccessoriesSoftware • USB Cable • Video Cable • Hand Strap • 8 MB Memory Card • Lithium Battery • Battery Charger
    Release DateJune, 2001
    MPN10030108

• Resolution: 2.1 megapixel CCD
  • Lens: 0.4-10.8mm f/2.8-4 (35mm equivalent: 35-70mm)
  • Exposure: Program AE w. +/-2.0 exposure compensation
  • Memory: CompactFlash

Submitted by ben a Casual

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2002

Strengths:    Small, durable metal case, 2.1 megapixels, takes movies, manual mode is there.

Weaknesses:    Comes with 8meg memory, which is entirely inadequate. 64meg is great. Haven't been able to fill that much memory w/o going thru batteries. Battery life is short if you use LCD to postview pics.

Bottom Line:
    Great small digicam that takes great pix. Bought a 64meg card for it, and sent in the rebate for the extra battery. Fairly easy menu system. One drawback is how fast it eats battery power if you like to review your pics after you take them. Its better just to shoot a few extra and sort them out at home than to use the LCD to sort them. The extra battery helps, but for long trips, bring the recharger.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Elph (non digital). Pentax SLR's

Submitted by christopher a Expert

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2002

Strengths:    size, size, size!!!

All the software loaded very simply.
    It also comes with great photostitch software - for seamless panoramic shots.

Great battery life - & quick recharge.

Weaknesses:    resolution, longer video length - these are not really weaknesses, but more a wish list. I printout everything on 8.5x11, and everyone's impressed by the results, but naturally I'm greedy for more.

You have to hold down the ON switch for a long time - a minor thing, but slows down your start-up time for no reason.

No lense adapters, filter rings, etc. - again, wish list items.

Bottom Line:
    Having always travelled with an SLR & a small idiot camera (which I'm NEVER without), SIZE DOES MATTER. The smaller it is, the less likely it'll be left behind. The small size does mean that it jiggles more when you're trying to take a photo though. I've also found the movie feature fun, although, I haven't figured out how to print these yet.

I also bought the waterproof case - handy for those marginal conditions (sailing, beach, etc.).

I upgraded the CF to 256M, although I think that 64 or 128 would have been fine. 8 meg is not.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Kodak 3500

Submitted by dereckwillis a Expert

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2002

Strengths:    -Extremely small
    -Excellent Pictures for a 2MP camera
    -Battery life is good for 50-70pics
    -Great Pictures in Low Light using Flash
    -Durable Metal Construction
    -Movie mode works great
    -Panoramic Function

Weaknesses:    -2x optical zoom
    -8MB included memory card
    -no battery gauge

Bottom Line:
    You have to see this camera in person to believe it's small size. It actually fits in the palm of my hand! I mainly bought this camera for my wife, b/c it easily fits in her purse.

The quality of the pictures has been amazing! This was my first digital cam with an "autofocus assist" light. What it does is shoots out a beam of blue light (when the flash is needed), which helps the camera focus on the subject before flash. It works great! Flash pictures are much better with this camera than my old Nikon Coolpix 800.

As most other reviewers have stated, this is mainly a "point and shoot" camera. This is what most people want anyway.

The 2x optical zoom works great, but more zoom would have been better. The S300 model has 3x optical zoom.

I picked up an extra battery at Buy.com for $35. They also have the soft case for about $10. Very nice complements to this camera.

I have some sample pictures posted at my website www.dereckwillis.com , check them out!

Purchased At:   Crutchfield.com

Similar Products Used:   Nikon Coolpix 800, Olympus C-2100uz, Olympus C-2500, Canon D30, Olympus C-700

Submitted by DrHog a Casual from Las Vegas

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2002

Strengths:    Size: The portability is supreme. My best pictures are the ones that I get to take when I normally wouldn't even have a camera on me.
    Picture quality: I was expecting great pictures, and it delivers.
    Photo-stitch: This is a great way to get good panorama shots without having a wide angle lens. Canon software "merges" photos that have overlap to create a larger shot.
    Controls: Fairly easy to understand. I didn't have to spend a day with the manual to figure things out.

Weaknesses:    Low memory: Only a weakness until you buy a bigger card; just factor it into your purchase cost.
    No battery gauge: While using the camera, you can't monitor the battery level, so you never know when it is going to die. The batteries are small, so I am going to get a spare to work around this problem.

Bottom Line:
    A winner! I did a lot of research before springing for the S110, and I was sold on the size (you will start taking it with you almost everywhere), the all-metal case, the reported picture quality, and the movie mode. Since I got it, I have upgraded it with a 128 meg flashcard, and still want to get a spare battery and case. While it didn't come up in my research, I was impressed with the panorama/photo-stitch feature, the ease of connecting and downloading to the PC, and the ability to upload pictures from the PC. I have also used the analog output for putting slide shows onto a TV on quite a few occasions. I've yet to try the movie mode.

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   None.

Submitted by Greg a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2002

Strengths:    Small Size, Large image output, Movie capability, and really fun underwater case is available for this unit. Point and shoot heaven!

Weaknesses:    Rubber flap on side which protets the slot for USB download cable. Needs cleaning as dust particals can get inside and fog viewfinder. Flash length is limited to a few feet in low light.

Bottom Line:
    What a great little camera. I looked at many before I made my purchase and this one won out on many levels. I've had the camera for many months now and I'm still glad I bought it.