Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 3 Megapixels and Smaller | Canon

Camera TypeCompact
    Interchangeable LensNot Interchangeable Lenses
    35mm Zoom Lens35 - 70 mm
    Digital Zoom3.2x
    Focus Range18.5 in. to Infinity (w)
    Macro Focus Range3.9 - 18.5 in. (w) / 10.6 - 18.5 in. (t)
    Focal Length5.4 - 10.8 mm
    Image Resolutions640 x 480 • 2048 x 1536 • 1600 x 1200 • 1024 x 768
    Video Resolutions320 x 240 (QVGA) • 640 x 480 (VGA) • 160 x 120
    Video Speed15 fps
    Max Movie LengthWithout Limit (Depends on the camera free memory size)
    Video FormatAVI
    Aperture Rangef2.8/f4 (w/t)
    Shutter Speed15 - 1/1500 sec
    White BalanceAuto • Manual • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Cloudy (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Tungsten (Preset)
    Frames Per Second2 Frames
    Memory TypeCompactFlash Card Type I
    Compression ModesFine • SuperFine • Normal
    Compression TypeJPEG • EXIF 2.2 • DPOF 1.1
    File Size (High Res.)1.56 MB (82 images on 128MB card)
    File Size (Low Res.)0.08 MB (about 1,600 images on 128MB card)
    ISO SpeedsAuto • 50 • 100 • 200 • 400
    Flash TypeBuilt-In
    Flash FunctionsFlash Off • Auto Flash • Fill-in Flash • Red-eye Reduction Flash • Slow Sync
    ViewfinderOptical
    Interface TypeUSB
    Battery TypeProprietary Lithium
    Battery Life150 Images
    Self Timer2 Sec. • 10 Sec.
    Built-in SpeakerWithout Built-in Speaker
    Tripod MountWith Tripod Mount
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS 8 • Apple Mac OS 9 • Apple Mac OS X • Microsoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows 98 • Microsoft Windows 98SE • Microsoft Windows ME • Microsoft Windows XP
    Warranty1 Year
    Included AccessoriesUSB Cable • Video Cable • Hand Strap • 16 MB Memory Card • Lithium Battery • Battery Charger
    Release DateOctober, 2002
    MPN8185a001
    Product ID20256624

Compact Digital Still Camera with Built-in Flash, 2x Optical Zoom
  • Sensor: 3.3 megapixel CCD
  • Max resolution: 2,048 x 1,536 pixels
  • Lens: Autofocus 5.4-10.8mm f/2.8-4 optical (35mm film equivalent: 35-70mm) w. 3.2X digital zoom
  • Exposure: Program AE w. Exposure Compensation
  • Storage media: CompactFlash Type I
  • Interface: USB

Submitted by a Intermediate from Toronto

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2003

Strengths:    It's small size meant that you could take it anywhere - you could put it in your pocket (but sometimes I'd forget it was there)

Weaknesses:    The opening/closing of the lens makes the worst sound, you'll know what I mean. Thank god it was the last day of my trip, but I got some sand in the lens mechanism and the camera became FUBAR, it wouldn't even turn on or let me review any pics. I got an estimate to get it fixed, but more than half the price I paid for the camera, so now it is a piece of junk sitting on my desk.

Bottom Line:
    I bought this camera to take with me to New Zealand and Australia and it was amazing - small, easy to use, durable (for the most part - more on that later) and user-friendly. Battery life was great as well, and the vivid mode made pictures really stand out.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by njs93 a Beginner from Mountain View

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2003

Strengths:    Ease of use, portability, design, easy to upload images

Weaknesses:    Zoom, shutter speed

Bottom Line:
    This camera was recommended to me by a beginner as well as a pro-level photog for different reasons. Size and design make this camera attracive and easy to use anywhere in most any situation. Images up to 2x zoom are clear. There is a healthly sized user-manual for those who like to tinker with the manual settings. As previous reviewers have mentioned, the digital zoom gets a little blurry when exceeding 2x and the shutter speed is a little slow. But considering that I'm finding weaknesses means that I'm learning about the art of photography and adds to the fact that this camera has sparked my interest in photography more-so than ever. I'm delighted with this camera given my experience level and I feel like I can grow into it. Purchasing this camera has inspired and enabled me to take more photos than I ever have in the past.

Purchased At:   B&H Photo online

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Submitted by Derrick Kngiht a Intermediate from Ft Lauderdale , FL USA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2003

Strengths:    Size, durability, picture clarity, battery life, and overall design style.

Weaknesses:    No case, low memory, no A/C Adaptor

Bottom Line:
    I generally like to exercise my Nikon N90(35mm)because of the picture quality. However, my need was for a very small, durable, compact camera that is pocket friendly. This unit is just that! It takes outstanding pictures for a unit that size; at times the pictures look almost as good as my 35mm. I also love the fact that I now have the ability to catch more spontaneous photos of people and various situations. For that, this camera is worth it’s weight in gold! I highly recommend this camera, besides, you cannot go wrong with Canon!

Purchased At:   Click for Digital

Similar Products Used:   Sony DSP-7 and DSP-9, Olympus Stylus 300

Submitted by Tim a Intermediate from Florida

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2003

Strengths:    menu's are easy to get to, 9 point auto focus, capable of long shutter (good for low light and fire works!) decent pictures with full digital zoom, quick playback zoom, great videos and pictures on your tv for showing family,and last but not least, it's Really small!!

Weaknesses:    kinda slow start up, plastic cf card door and battery door, slow shutter speed when flas isn't on,

Bottom Line:
    I've owned this camera for a couple of weeks, I've had many other digital cameras in teh past, but I am verry pleased with this one. It takes great macro shots and you can get verry close to your sybject (around 3/4 inches) I'm impressed in the acuarcy in colors with the pictures. the 640x480 videos are great and have a high fps, only 30 seconds (wish there was a way bipass that one) like the sony dsc-p32 you can take unlimited amount of video at 640x480 but the quolity is'nt as good.

Purchased At:   BestBuy