Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 3 Megapixels and Smaller | Epson

Epson PhotoPC 550 3 Megapixels and Smaller

• Resolution0.31 Megapixel
    Camera TypeStandard Point and Shoot
    Image Resolutions640 x 480
    Aperture Rangef2.8 (w) - f8 (w)
    Memory TypeBuilt-in
    LCD PanelWithout LCD Panel

Submitted by Harry a Intermediate from Kailua, HI

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2002

Strengths:    Very sharp & clear resolution (if you hold it steady or use the timer. Light. Easy to use.

Weaknesses:    No flash.

Bottom Line:
An excellent digital camera for beginners to get their feet wet. This camera is light and handy to use, and I've done some beautiful work with it.

Similar Products Used:   Nikon

Submitted by The best Digital Camera I've had a Beginner from Berkeley

Date Reviewed: August 25, 1999

Bottom Line:
This is an amazing little camera. I've had bigger DC's with more res, but this is the one I always take with me. You can record 6 seconds of sound for every pic (don't use much), the two batteries last FOREVER, I mean FOREVER, the software is good... All around very togather package and the colors click with my taste, even at low light! It doesn't have a flash so its more of a daytime camera. It was the best deal for the price and everyone who has it loves it... You can't even find these anymore, even in auctions or used stores!

Submitted by Jay a Intermediate from California

Date Reviewed: June 5, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have had the Epson Photo PC 550 for a year now. and it is wonderful(I've seen a friend with a Mavica and the image quality was terrible!) The image quality on this camerea is great! It has Voice adds you can add on your pictures, long lasting battery. I had this camerea for a year now and only had to change it once. Simple setup and The Price is Right!!! also. The only drawback is the lack of LCD. Instead, of seeing if you like it from the camera right after you take it, you have to go on your computer and download it and see if you like it. But Overall, the Epson Photo Pc 550 is great for pioneers in digital photography!

Submitted by Ajay Jindal a Expert from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 1999

Bottom Line:
Wow this camera is tiny! Easily fits in your pocket so you can take it anywhere and never have to think about whether you want to lug along a camera or not. Contrary to the official specs it will take an 8 MB smart media card (but not 16 MB). While it only has a small number of features they are all very useful - voice annotation, self-timer. The biggest thing missing is a flash (see below).The photos are great! Outdoors or in bright lights they are excellent (who needs a megapixel cam?). I prefer to use the S-Hi mode (640x480, low compression). Indoors under average light it takes really good shots too BUT since it needs to use a longer exposure it is very sensitive to movement. Be sure you have a steady hand or brace the camera on some furniture AND that your subject isn't moving. This is the biggest downside to the camera - a flash would easily solve this.The voice annotation feature totally rocks! I took the camera on a road trip and it was great to be able to attach a voice note about what the picture was all about ("Here is my wife petting a 6 month old lion cub whose name is Asha.", or capturing the noises that hooting Simiangs make at the zoo) It makes such a huge difference when you watch the slide show later. Ideally, I would like my next digital camera to have this feature as well but it is rare.I still have a 35mm film camera to use for indoor and low light conditions or when I need a zoom lens. I plan on going completely digital when I can find a digital camera that does everything my film camera can do for under $500.

Submitted by Robby Stanley a Beginner from California

Date Reviewed: November 20, 1998

Bottom Line:
This is a great Camera and after talking to everyone who posted on this site I went and purchased one. I am very happy with it, It does shoot pretty good in low light and with the 8mb flash card I can keep on taking pictures. My very first Camera was an Apple Quick take 100 what a big difference from that to the Epson 550. Also CNET had a great review of this camera and some graet comparative sample pictures.The only draw back is make sure and get the extra memory. It would be nice to have an LCD or play it through the VCR but the batteries go a long time without this stuff. Also if you want to buy one goto http://www.pricescan.com/ I have seen this Camera for $165 NEW and the 8mb card for $30 What a deal compared to some of those Auction prices.