Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 3 Megapixels and Smaller | Konica Minolta

Konica Minolta Dimage V 3 Megapixels and Smaller

3.07/5 (28 Reviews)

Submitted by ASmileyGuy a Expert

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2004

Strengths:    Absolutely none. It is more than 5 years old and obviously designed before the industry standardization of digital photography technology. It's design deserves merit. For all the trouble it gives, it'd design and features remain unique and attractive.

Weaknesses:    Five years out of date and designed before even the SmartMedia card became the industry standard. Can't find Memory cards that fit this model now. Can't find software updates. Never got original software to work. Basicly, a great camera for anyone who wishes to use the camera as the primary viewer. Home and car power adaptors are recommended. It sucks the juice from 4 Duracells faster than it can full a 2MB memory card. Does not live up to the Minolta reputation.

Bottom Line:
This was the coolest digital camera with unique features no others had, when I purchased it..in 1998. A monkey can operate this camera. I signed on to AOL one day and a pop-up advertisement appeared and it was exactly what I was looking for in a digital camera. To date, I NEVER managed to link it to my computer and this has made it useless. Since purchasing it, I have regurlarly updated my computer and currently have 3 extra PCs I built from spare parts as I upgraded. This camera had proven incompatable with every one. I still have pics of my son's highschool graduation IN THE CAMERA and he is a Junior in college now. Adding insult to injury, I couldnt fine any information online about this specific model. The Minolta website didnt even show this model in their digital camera products list. Everyone has a digital camera now and I got the idea to put my SmartMedia card in a friend's camera to download the contents. The cards are different. SmartMedia was a selling point when I purchased my camera, but the SmartMedia card in this unit is physicly incompatible with every other SmartMedia card I have seen. The clipped corner insures that the card can only be inserted one way. The card with this model has contacts on the opposite side. SmartMedia cards DO NOT fit and this card DOES NOT fit anything else. I actually got excited when film processing places added digital card readers. Any type of memory card from any digital camera, just pop it in and it reads it. Any type but this one. I still have photos in the camera I wish to download to my PC. This site is the first I have ever found with that acknowledges the existance of this relic. I still have the box it all came in so if anyone can tell me how to connected it to a PC and get it to work will be my hero. Until then, I will continue using those disposable 35mm cameras.

Purchased At:   America Online

Similar Products Used:   Never purchased another Digital Camera or webcam. This camera is a rare and unique creation of misfunction and in no way does it represent the industry of digital photography today. But personal experiance has dulled my sense of enthusiasm

Submitted by Ayanna a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2004

Strengths:    The swiveling lens and the extension cable are a genious idea. That's what attracted me to it in the first place.

Weaknesses:    The 5V memory cards are no longer in production. They have to be hunted down like ancient treasure.

Bottom Line:
I love this camera. It was very old when I bought it, but it is still in perfect working and cosmetic condition.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Polaroid digital camera. Don't love it much.

Submitted by James Bailey a Intermediate from Gainesville, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2001

Strengths:    Fast turn-on, ready to shoot within 2 seconds.
simple controls, easy to use.
extremely reliable from taking photos through downloading into computer.

Weaknesses:    Poor quality of dark interior photos (weak flash).
slow download times.

Bottom Line:
Overall a very good camera for certain types of applications. Appraisers of real estate (such as myself) including insurance appraisers will like it. It turns on & sets up to use almost instantly and has simple controls. The lack of fine detail is not a problem for these types of photos, and the file sizes of the photos are small (for e-mailing). I have used one for over three years & been very satisfied with the reliability of the camera. The photo quality is good in outdoor lighting, but dark interiors are murky, and the flash is too weak. Download times (into the computer) are a little slow, with about 30-40 seconds per photo if you are connected via serial port cable.

Submitted by Tim Rudolph a Beginner from Perrysburg

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2000

Strengths:    easy to use
detachable lens unit
takes good photos

Weaknesses:    hard to find memory
flash is a little weak
software is a little difficult to use

Bottom Line:
I received the camera for christmas, it was just what I wanted, a medium camera (at the time) at a good price. We found out quickly that the rumor of it eating batteries was not an overstatement. Luckily my gift also included NmH batteries, and I was quick to purchase a backup set. The software that came with the camera was a bit difficult to get working with my computer, had to move a few things around to get it to work. The other difficulty that we are incurring, is that the smartmedia cards are 5 volt which is difficult to find, and that a lot of the card readers don't work with the 5 volt cards. Other than those problems, the camera has been good and easy to use.

Similar Products Used:   None

Submitted by david blaza a Beginner from san francisco

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2000

Strengths:    Nice design

Weaknesses:    battery life is horrible
software from Minolta is poor
ac adpater was not included

Bottom Line:
Very disappointing experience all around, the software was not well integrated with Adobe and the things eats batteries. AC adapter was overpriced.

Minolta DiMAGE Z10 v. Slave Flash

Ok, I am new here. I am a news photographer (video) for a Houston Independent New Service, and come from a still background, but I havent used a Pro still rig in a few years (the last one was an...F5). This past Christmas, I received a Minolta DiMAGE Z10 and absolutely LOVE it. I leave it in my news ... Read More »