Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 3 Megapixels and Smaller | Nikon

Flash TypeBuilt-In
    Battery Type4 x AAA Batteries

Submitted by Rany Chesson a Intermediate from Richmond V.A. 23228

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2003

Strengths:    This camera takes exellent still pictures

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
I have two different cameras. Nikon coolpix 100 and a more recent Hp Photosmart 320. Iv'e taken picture with both cameras and i still use the nikon more than my newer camera. My problem is that two days ago i had my nikon on the bed and my dog knocked it off and now i have a problem turning it on. I know that this model is discontinued and i would love to get it fixed. Can someone direct me to were i can send it off to get it repaired.

Purchased At:   21000

Similar Products Used:   Hp photosmart, I get a lot of red eye when i use the flash and what ever i do even with the program that came with it doesn't seem to get rid of it

Submitted by Cheryl Mizusawa a Expert from Pearl City, HI

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2002

Strengths:    Perfect compact camera to fit in my purse and light carry. Battery life is last long for a couple month or take up to 500 images.

Weaknesses:    still difficult to print to 5X7 or 8X10 images to come out a little bit spear but looks good. So far I'm satisfied with the print when it is only 4X6 images.

Bottom Line:
Coolpix 100 is very easy to carry when I'm in a hurry. It always carried in my purse in case I need it. Very helpful to have lot of evidence when my friend had a car accident. Good thing I had it in my purse and able to take picture every details before the police and ambulance arrive. I have other sony digital video camera that I took picture which I'm not very satisified. Lot of pictures come out too bright, blurry and many other ways. You will not regreting if you have buy a nikon coolpix 100 digital camera.

Purchased At:   Gift by friend

Similar Products Used:   Never had experience

Submitted by John Riebli a Beginner from Southworth, Washington, USA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2000

Strengths:    This camera is a nice companion. It is pocketable, downloads quickly with a PCMCIA slot, battery life is not an issue, and images are exceptional and compact.

Weaknesses:    I still have difficulty knowing when the shutter will actually take which aggravates shooting active pets or people.

Bottom Line:
I researched digital cameras for about a year. I kept getting swept up in the pixels game. As resolution increased I would always price myself out of a purchase. And I kept coming back to this review site and the images posted with the coolpix 100.
I wanted a camera to create candid shots of students, to create digital portfolios of student design work, and to post family pictures and events on the web. When I resolved what I actually wanted to do with the camera the Coolpix was an easy choice.
I love this camera. It is constantly available as it lives in my jacket pocket. I can shoot up to 42 images in low resolution mode and 21 in fine mode. Feedback is as quick as sliding the pcmcia card in to the laptop. I can feel myself becoming a better photographer because the camera is in daily use. And there is nothing extra to carry.
Batteries should last for a very long time since there is no lcd preview screen to power and downloads are powered by the laptop. Another concern of mine was storage space for images. I get about thirty in fine mode on a floppy and twice that in the lower resolution. I do still admire the images created by high resolution cameras, but I know my classic coolpix 100 is more limited by the skills of its operator than the technology within the case.
Last week I bought one for my daughter at college who is equally enthusiastic about hers.

Similar Products Used:   I have only used film cameras previously.

Submitted by K. WIlson a Beginner from Nanaimo, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2000

Strengths:    East to use, fun.

Weaknesses:    None

Bottom Line:
I really enjoy using this camera - it is a new experience and quite fun for myself and my kids. A bonus to be able to see the image right away, and not wait for processing.

Similar Products Used:   None

Submitted by F. L. Beaver a Expert from Huntsville, AL

Date Reviewed: January 29, 1999

Bottom Line:
In my work I sometimes need to take snapshots of equipment assemblies that I can reference back to later for documentation purposes. This small and easy to carry camera is very handy for that. It also takes perfectly adequate pictures for posting on the web, especially if you do some post-processing. It takes good macro shots and the batteries seem to last forever. The Coolpix 100 is a great value if you can still find one.See some sample pictures and further comments in the link below.