Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 3 Megapixels and Smaller | Sanyo

Built-in SpeakerWith Built-in Speaker
    MPNVCPG200

Submitted by Frank McGroary a Intermediate from Long Branch, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: November 30, 1999

Strengths:    low cost, film clip and sound recording, rugged, small enough for coat pocket.

Weaknesses:    Limited resolution of 640 x 480, poor battery life when using LCD. No zoom.

Bottom Line:
Great beginning digital camera, good for snap-shots for email or home web page. Fair to disappointing results when printing using photo capable printer & photo paper (HP720 or Epson 640). Lack of zoom limits flexibility. Bought for $199 about 1 year ago. Better choices today at same price point, such as Fuji MX1700 with rebate. Camera was good enough for me to have digital camera bug, and I'm considering the Canon S10, which may give a performance plateau which may keep it from obsolescence for perhaps 3 years or more?

Similar Products Used:   first digital camera, have full feature 35 mm slr.

Submitted by Janene Meents a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: July 18, 1999

Bottom Line:
First, I am no expert in photography, and have used only this digital camera. So, I have nothing to directly compare it with.I read all the reviews before this one, and they have just about said all there is to say about the Sanyo G-200. I will just add my opinion.All that said, I really, really like my camera. I loved the price, the size, the weight...I really like the fact that it was easy for me to learn. My pictures are great. I've had lots of compliments about the quality of the pictures. They add, "And you paid WHAT?"I can take photo after photo after photo...sit for a minute and delete the ones I don't want...and take some more. Easy!The MGI software is adequate and was easy enough to learn.My wishes:I wish it included a zoom function. I wish I could upload photos to the camera to "take" with me.Other that those two things, I'm very satisfied.

Submitted by Gary Dion a Intermediate from Starkville, Mississippi

Date Reviewed: November 14, 1998

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased a Fisher FVD-V1 on an auction site for about $180 and have not yet regretted the decision one bit! I've already taken well over one hundred pictures and can say this camera is very kind to batteries, and the photo quality is great. This camera is identical to the Sanyo VPC-G200 (American version) and the Sanyo DCS-V1 (Japanese version) internally, with the only difference being the plastic packaging. Operation is pretty simple with all the controls available through the small LCD and buttons on top, which means you rarely have to turn on the LCD viewfinder unless you care to review your photos or frame them for close-ups. This is a handy choice to have since many cameras either don't have an optical viewfinder or don't provide an option to turn the LCD viewfinder off.After some pretty extensive research (before I bought the camera) and through my own experience, I can honestly say this camera produces some of the best 640x480 pictures I've seen. The Olympus D-220L produces slightly sharper images if you look closely, but the minimal increase in quality does not, at least for me, justify the increase in cost. The difference in quality is undoubtedly due to the compression, since the file size of most photos I take hovers around the 55K-byte mark. And even though the memory is not expandable, I have yet to fill up the 60-image capacity. I carry this camera with me everywhere I go since it's lightweight and isn't any bigger than a normal camera. Adding sound to the images is also a lot of fun, though I haven't used the feature very often. I intend to use this camera in documenting some research I'm doing, and I can already see the benefits of annotating photos.Criticisms:Others have mentioned that the flash is pretty harsh for close-ups. I found this to be the case as well. To cure the problem, I simply use as much ambient light as possible and turn off the flash. Also, for close-ups the LCD viewfinder is a necessity since the optical viewfinder does not give a clear indication of whether the object is centered or not. This naturally eats the batteries much more quickly, but when I'm doing close-up shots I'm typically in my office and can use an AC adapter. Speaking of - the camera runs from a voltage source anywhere from 5-7 volts, which makes finding an adapter much easier. Also, don't buy this camera if you are doing so since it can create AVI's. The resolution is very low, and it's grainy. I think the feature was a last minute add-on which admittedly makes for a cool gimmick, but one I'll seldom use.Miscellaneous:On a more technical note, this camera is well supported by the programming community. Programs are available to take and download pictures from the camera in dos and windows if you choose not to use the supplied software. And even though I haven't had the camera much over one week I have already built a small device which plugs into the serial port connector to take time lapse photography. This camera can take photos as fast as one shot every 4 seconds in low-res mode and one shot every 6 seconds in hi-res mode.For more information and more sample photos, you can visit my website. The following sample is posted as it came directly from the camera (the photos are stored as jpg within the camera):

Submitted by Mark a Beginner from Canada

Date Reviewed: November 13, 1998

Bottom Line:
I have had my Sanyo VPC-G200 for several months now and I am enjoying it very much. The camera does not have a removable memory card but the 60 pics in the highest setting is more than I need for casual picture taking. My use is strictly recreational and the canera is great for that purpose. I use the force flash most of the time and the closer to your subject the better the photos. I picked up 4 Nicad batteries from Radio Shack and they last very well even at get togethers, when everyone wants to view the photos just taken. I can store about 25 pics on a standard floppy after downloading into the Photo Suite which comes with the camera. Great little camera for the price!

Submitted by richie a Intermediate from Sydney Australia

Date Reviewed: May 21, 1998

Bottom Line:
Celebrating 50 years of operation, Sanyo has released a digital still camera, the VPC-G200, which it claims is the first ever to provide for the transfer of both images and sound directly to a TV or VCR. It has an optical view-finder and two inch colour LCD screen, while the macro mode enables close-ups to 12 ems. Images are recorded to the built-in flash memory and can be deleted and re-recorded countless times without loss of image quality. Any image can be deleted at any time or in any order, and the flash features redeye reduction.With 4 mb of storage memory the camera can record up to 120 images at standard resolution,320x240 dpi, or 60 images at maximum resolution, 640x480 dpi. Three 'on screen' functions allow the user to view nine images simultaneously, to erase unwanted images (thereby saving memory space), or to protect valued shots.Sanyo's multiple pictures function also allows you to take 16 sequential pictures at 1/16 normal size and save them as a normal size picture. The function has two modes; 1:16 pictures can be taken at 0.1 or 0.2 second intervals, making it ideal for analysing, say, a golf swing or tennis shot.The VPC-G200 also boasts a six-second audio function that allows the user to actually talk the viewer through the pictures as they appear on screen.It is powered by four AA batteries and comes complete with a software package that includes image editing, a catalogue function that allows you to catalogue pictures into albums, and communications video e-mail.This sound feature gives those boring holiday "slide shows" something extra!