Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 4 to 5 Megapixel | Canon

Camera TypeUltra-Compact
    Interchangeable LensNot Interchangeable Lenses
    35mm Zoom Lens39 mm
    Digital Zoom5.7x
    Focus Range4 in. to Infinity (w)
    Macro Focus Range1.2 - 4 in. (w)
    Focal Length6.4 mm
    Camera Resolution4 Megapixel
    Image Resolutions640 x 480 • 2272 x 1704 • 1600 x 1200 • 1024 x 768
    Video Resolutions320 x 240 (QVGA) • 160 x 120
    Max Movie Length180 Seconds
    Video FormatAVI
    Aperture Rangef5.6 (w) - f2.8 (w)
    Shutter Speed15 - 1/1500 sec
    White BalanceAuto
    Memory TypeSD Card
    Compression ModesFine • SuperFine • Normal
    Compression TypeJPEG
    File Size (High Res.)2 MB (64 images on 128MB card)
    File Size (Low Res.)0.08 MB (about 1,600 images on 128MB card)
    ISO SpeedsAuto • 50 • 100 • 200 • 400
    Flash FunctionsFlash Off • Auto Flash • Red-eye Reduction Flash • Slow Sync
    ViewfinderWithout Viewfinder
    Interface TypeUSB
    Battery TypeProprietary Lithium
    Battery Life480 Images
    Self Timer2 Sec. • 10 Sec.
    Mp3 Built In
    Built-in SpeakerWith Built-in Speaker
    Tripod MountWith Tripod Mount
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS 9 • Microsoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows 98 • Microsoft Windows 98SE • Microsoft Windows ME • Microsoft Windows XP
    Exterior ColorBlack • Silver • White
    Included AccessoriesSoftware • USB Cable • Video Cable • Hand Strap • 32 MB Memory Card • Lithium Battery • Battery Charger
    Product ID21192516

• Ultra-thin with four color choices
  • Sensor: 4 megapixel CCD
  • Max resolution: 2272 x 1704 pixels
  • Canon Digic processor
  • Quick Shot Function for no shutter-lag
  • Lens: 6.4mm f/2.8 fixed focal length (35mm equiv: 39mm) w. 5.7x digital zoom and 5-point AF
  • Exposure: Program AE w. spot meter
  • Sensitivity: Auto, ISO 50, 100, 200, 400
  • White balance: Auto, Pre-set, and Custom
  • File types: JPEG
  • Movie mode
  • Storage media: SD Memory Card
  • USB interface
  • Batteries: Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery (NB-3L)

Submitted by gregg a Casual

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2006

Strengths:    1.) bullit proof - see summary
    2.) small size - easy to fit in a pocket, I carry this camera to more places because of it's small size
    3.) quality lens - better than my own abilities
    4.) easy to use
    5.) software is easy to use

Weaknesses:    1.) no optical zoom - but if this is a concern for you, there are other Canon models that will better suit your needs
    2.) now outdated! - Canon has newer, better models of this camera for less than I paid for this SD-10 over 2 years ago!
    3.) not actually a weakness of the camera, but Canon printing accessories and supplies can be on the pricey side

Bottom Line:
    I got this camera as a Christmas gift a couple of years ago, to replace our previous S200 that we lost on vacation.

Even though this model is two years old, I still get comments about it's size. And of course, the color is still fashionable (I got the bronze color.)

It's a great camera and I am a Canon user for life! My wife dropped this camera while getting out of the car. Fell out of her lap, onto the concrete sidewalk. Which was sloped. And it was raining. Hard.

Long story short, it was fully submerged in a puddle for about 5 seconds. I thought it was toast.

Took the battery out, dried it with a paper towel the best I could, then set it on top of the TV, as I was advised. Two days later, it's dry, but still not working. Give it one more day on top of the TV, and Voila! It works!!

Now, I don't recommend testing YOUR Canon camera in this manner, but even my old S200 took some decent abuse.

I have since bought the All Weather case for this (great price at Amazon) and have used it snorkeling in Hawaii. Even with the AW case, the SD-10 is still small enough to fit in a pocket.

Besides it's durability, the camera is very easy to use and does everything I ask of it. Yes, there are certain times when optical zoom would be handy. I notice the newer versions of this camera have the optical zoom.

The software that comes with it is very easy to use, easy to print (I print my own prints with a Canon i850 printer), and easy to store and organize.

The lense is great and takes great macro shots, too.

I use it for all kinds of shots, family photos, vacation shots, sports shots, trade shows and outdoor shots. This little camera does it all.

Purchased At:   Adorama

Similar Products Used:   Canon Powershot S200

Submitted by Denkigroove a Casual

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2004

Strengths:    Size! Looks! Image quality! Battery life! Did I say looks!

Weaknesses:    No optical Zoom, but I can live without it. No d/c adapter capability, but battery life is great!

Bottom Line:
    When I removed the camera from the package...wow, this is absolutely a beautiful camera. I needed something small to carry around and at the same time have great image quality. Canon has a great reputation and I was stuck between the Canon SD10 or the other digital elps, and then the Sony line. I got the piano black one and it is gorgeous. Pic quality is great, far better than my previous 4megpix Minolta I got, and even better than some of my friends 5megpix cameras! It loads up in a second (1.6 sec I think). This is the perfect compact camera for any beginner or casual user on the go. Great job Canon!

Purchased At:   eCost

Similar Products Used:   Canon Digital Elphs, Sony Cybershot (P7,P9, P10), Minolota Dimage (F200,F300), Camedia C50.

Submitted by dlinney a Intermediate from UK

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2003

Strengths:    Size, size, size
    Style
    Image quality
    Manual overrides
    Quick flash control (e.g. to disable the flash)

Weaknesses:    Fixed focal length - but I am happy to accept this in exchange for image quality / max aperture (f2.8) and small size.

Bottom Line:
    Great little camera - the genuine "never be without a camera" camera. Performance is outstanding for its size - no doubt helped by the use of the 4m pixel sensor of its bigger brothers and also the use of a fixed focal length lens. There is also a surprising amount of manual control available if you want to manage settings yourself. The macro mode is excellent - but does need good light since it disables the flash (the camera is far too close). I have even used the movie mode which I always think of as a gimmick!

Well done Canon - a stylish, small camera that performs well.

Similar Products Used:   Canon 10D, Canon G3, Canon Digital Ixus (original 2M pixel model)