Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 4 to 5 Megapixel | Fujifilm

Interchangeable LensNot Interchangeable Lenses
    35mm Zoom Lens28 - 91 mm
    Digital Zoom3.6x
    Focus TypeAutofocus & Manual Focus
    Focus Range24 in. to Infinity (w)
    Macro Focus Range1 - 31.2 in. (w)
    Focal Length4.7 - 15.1 mm
    Image Resolutions640 x 480 • 2304 x 1728 • 1600 x 1200 • 1280 x 960
    Video Resolutions320 x 240 (QVGA) • 160 x 120
    Video Speed10 fps
    Max Movie Length180 Seconds
    Video FormatAVI
    Aperture Rangef8/f8 (w/t) - f2.9/f5.5 (w/t)
    Shutter Speed2 - 1/2000 sec
    White BalanceAuto • Manual • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Incandescent (Preset) • Shade (Preset)
    Memory TypexD Picture Card
    Compression ModesFine • Normal
    Compression TypeJPEG
    File Size (High Res.)1.98 MB (65 images on 128MB card)
    File Size (Low Res.)0.13 MB (about 985 images on 128MB card)
    ISO SpeedsAuto • 100 • 200 • 400 • 80
    Flash TypeBuilt-In
    Flash FunctionsFlash Off • Auto Flash • Fill-in Flash • Red-eye Reduction Flash • Slow Sync
    ViewfinderOptical
    LCD Panel Size2 in.
    Interface TypeUSB
    Battery Type2 x AA Batteries
    Self Timer10 Sec.
    Mp3 Built In
    Built-in SpeakerWith Built-in Speaker
    Tripod MountWith Tripod Mount
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS 9 • Microsoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows 98 • Microsoft Windows 98SE • Microsoft Windows ME • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition • Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Width4 in.
    Included Accessories2 x AA Batteries • Software • USB Cable • Video Cable • Hand Strap • 16 MB Memory Card
    Release DateAugust, 2004
    Product ID22521984

4 megapixel compact digital camera with thin metal body, 3.2x wide optical zoom lens, 2 inch LCD, and movie recording with sound.

Submitted by John Pearson a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2006

Strengths:    1. Optical viewfinder.
2. Sensible choice of battery type and size.

Bottom Line:
My Fuji E500 has proven to be an excellent point-and-shoot compact camera having features which enable progression towards more user-controlled exposures when needed.
It is good to find a modern digital compact which still offers an optical viewfinder in addition to the ubiquitous LCD display.
Potential users should however be made aware that only one shutter delay self-timer setting is available (10 seconds). Some reviews mention an additional time setting of 2 seconds but this is not available on the E500.

Submitted by ac633 a Casual

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2006

Strengths:    This camera is easy to use. It is the first digital camera I've had and haven't really had any trouble. I'm not much on reading instructions, but I could figure it out pretty well. I only had to look up specific topics in the manual. I also like the fact that the button is not terribly delayed. When taking pictures of the kids with other cameras, I've missed "action shots" because of the shutter delay. But, I'm getting pretty good with this one since it's not as long.

I feel this camera would be perfect for people like me.......the average person enjoying kids and vacations. As mentioned, this is my first digital camera and being a stay at home Mom, I'm not very techno-savvy (I just figured out how to listen to messages on my cell phone!). But, you can't really screw it up. It tells you when your flash should be on and gives you the "safety" before doing anything permanent (ie: are you sure you want to delete this picure?).

Weaknesses:    Because I didn't read the manual thoroughly, I'm not great at utilizing all the features. The one thing that is annoying to me is how long it takes the flash to be ready. I feel like my old Aunt Millie waiting for the light to turn green!

Bottom Line:
I absolutely love my camera! My old 35mm camera was on the fritz, and I purchased this Fuji camera on a whim. It was on clearance at K-Mart and semed like a decent deal. I mainly take pictures of my kids. I even keep the camera in my diaper bag.

Purchased At:   K-Mart