Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 4 to 5 Megapixel | Fujifilm

Camera TypeStandard Point and Shoot
    Interchangeable LensNot Interchangeable Lenses
    35mm Zoom Lens39 - 234 mm
    Digital Zoom3.4x
    Focus Range31.2 in. to Infinity (w)
    Macro Focus Range3.9 - 31.2 in. (w)
    Focal Length6 - 36 mm
    Image Resolutions640 x 480 • 2272 x 1704 • 1600 x 1200 • 1280 x 960
    Video Resolutions320 x 240 (QVGA) • 160 x 120
    Video Speed10 fps
    Max Movie LengthWithout Limit (Depends on the camera free memory size)
    Video FormatAVI
    Aperture Rangef8.2/f8.7 (w/t) - f2.8/f3 (w/t)
    Shutter Speed2 - 1/1500 sec
    White BalanceAuto • Manual • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Incandescent (Preset) • Shade (Preset)
    Memory TypexD Picture Card
    Compression ModesFine • Normal
    Compression TypeJPEG
    File Size (High Res.)2 MB (64 images on 128MB card)
    File Size (Low Res.)0.13 MB (about 985 images on 128MB card)
    ISO SpeedsAuto
    Flash TypeBuilt-In
    Flash FunctionsFlash Off • Auto Flash • Fill-in Flash • Red-eye Reduction Flash • Slow Sync
    ViewfinderDigital
    Interface TypeUSB
    Battery Type4 x AA Batteries
    Self Timer10 Sec.
    Mp3 Built In
    Built-in MicrophoneWithout Built-in Microphone
    Tripod MountWith Tripod Mount
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS 9 • Apple Mac OS X • Microsoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows 98 • Microsoft Windows 98SE • Microsoft Windows ME • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition • Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Height3 in.
    Included Accessories4 x AA Batteries • Software • USB Cable • Video Cable • Shoulder Strap • 16 MB Memory Card • Driver • Lens Cap
    Release DateAugust, 2004
    MPNS3100
    UPC074101410006
    Product ID22521980

Four megapixel digital camera with 6x optical zoom, PC camera and movie mode.

Submitted by D. Berg a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2013

Strengths:    I prefer a "handfull" of camera. Makes handling a camera easier. I prefer a 'SLR' focus...makes bright light shooting easier. Living the the deserts of NM very handy. If you shot a film SLR you feel right at home. Easy to carry all day long...lens cap povides protection and safety.
The large lens shade gives the considerable protection to the lens from light and physical damage.

Weaknesses:    Slow shutter response.....not a problem with fixed subject material....action....is hit the shutter button and wonder what you might have....?
When you change batteries the camera requires resetting day/date and time.....not fond of such.

Bottom Line:
I own three of them all bought from ebay used none at retail never have not had an problem with any of them. For a knock about camera in good light quiet acceptable....low light shots I miss not having an anti shake feature,
Want to be a pro leave the camera at home...want something simple to use...take it.

Submitted by TWBanner a Casual

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2009

Strengths:    Great picture quality
LONG zoom (6x)
Easy to use
Never a glitch or problem
Uses easily found AA batteries
Makes a great web cam
Fantastic pictures!!!
Viewfinder in addition to screen (makes lining up pictures with sun at my back easier)

Weaknesses:    Kinda slow between pushing the button and capturing the picture. This sometimes makes getting action shots a little tricky.

Larger and bulkier than pocket varieties
No sound with movies
Movie resolution is poor (but, who cares, I bought it to take pics)
Small viewing screen

Bottom Line:
Let me start by saying that, having bought the Fuji S3100 before any other digital camera has spoiled me. The few drawbacks are more than made up for by the quality of the pictures taken. If I'd never owned this camera, I'd have been perfectly satisfied with any of the other cameras I've since purchased (except the Olympus).
After owning and using the S3100 for somewhere around six or more years now I guess (since I can't find the original box or receipt and am looking back at pictures taken that long ago that I'm pretty sure I took with this camera), I can only say that it continues to impress me. With a larger lens than pocket digital cameras, that's to be expected, but to be able to take pictures with better resolution and color than ANY of the pocket cameras I've tried in the 8 to 10+ megapixel range has been a surprise to say the least.
I've spent the last three years trying to find a camera that my wife could carry in her purse and use regularly and have gone through many different pocket digital cameras (Canon, Olympus, Fuji and another that I can't remember) only to be dissappointed by each and every one of them and only because I end up comparing the end result pictures that she's taken to the ones that I've taken with my S3100 at the same time. We both attend our son's soccer games and tennis matches and both take our own cameras. Whether on the automatic settings or any of the specialized presets, mine has always taken a better quality picture than hers on the same, or similar, settings. WE'VE COMPARED!!!
Long story short, similar conditions, settings, etc., and the S3100 takes a better picture than any other camera I've been exposed to.
For what it's worth, despite being larger, bulkier and heavier than a lot of other cameras I could carry, I take the s3100 backpacking with me just to ensure the best pictures possible. I've taken my wife's smaller cameras, which take good pictures by-the-way, but have never been as happy with the color and quality of the pictures taken.

Purchased At:   Don't remember, it's

Similar Products Used:   Olympus fe-170 (was replaced by retailer 3 times due to the same defect on all three. NO SATISFACTION FROM olympus even after contacting them multiple times. Will NEVER even consider an Olympus product again.

Canon Power Shot (I think it was a 2000?) - Nice camera, good quality pics, easy to use, but wife needed something with better image stabilization.

Fujifilm A820 - Wife's present camera. Good picture quality and movie quality (her primary use any more). She likes it better than the Canon.

Submitted by Brien Blankenship a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2009

Strengths:    Easy to use, lightweight, average battery life, simple controls, good results.

Weaknesses:    Limited control for more advanced operators.

Bottom Line:
I bought this as a closeout at a very good price. I have found it to be handy and quick to learn, a grab and go digital. Simple to use and have not experienced any problems with it. Battery life seems to be about average, I use Nmh rechargeable AA's. Its light and easy to handle, the controls being intuitive and well placed (for me anyway). I have others but this one seems to get the most use for just average situations and random carry. I would recommend it to the casual user.

Purchased At:   Wolf Camera