Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 4 to 5 Megapixel | Kodak

4.81/5 (16 Reviews)

• Warranty1 Year
    Memory TypeBuilt-in • MMC Card • SD Card
    Battery TypeProprietary Lithium
    Included AccessoriesSoftware • USB Cable • Video Cable • Neck Strap • Lithium Battery • Battery Charger • Lens Cap
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS 8 • Apple Mac OS 9 • Microsoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows 98 • Microsoft Windows 98SE • Microsoft Windows ME • Microsoft Windows XP
    Optical Zoom10x
    Battery Life210 Images
    Image Sensor TypeCCD
    Interchangeable LensNot Interchangeable Lenses
    Aperture Rangef8/f8 (w/t) - f2.8/f3.7 (w/t)
    ISO SpeedsAuto • 100 • 200 • 400 • 800
    ViewfinderOptical (Through-the-lens)
    Interface TypeUSB
    Self Timer10 Sec.
    Video Resolutions320 x 240 (QVGA)
    Flash TypeBuilt-In & External
    White BalanceAuto • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Tungsten (Preset)
    Built-in Memory Size16 MB
    Shutter Speed16 - 1/700 sec
    Digital Zoom3x
    Compression ModesFine • SuperFine • Normal
    Mp3 Built In
    Video Speed24 fps
    Camera TypeStandard Point and Shoot
    Frames Per Second3 Frames
    Max Movie LengthWithout Limit (Depends on the camera free memory size)
    Compression TypeJPEG
    35mm Zoom Lens38 - 380 mm
    File Size (High Res.)1.33 MB (96 images on 128MB card)
    Focal Length6.3 - 63 mm
    Image Resolutions2408 x 1758 • 2304 x 1728 • 2304 x 1536 • 1656 x 1242 • 1200 x 900
    Built-in SpeakerWith Built-in Speaker
    Tripod MountWith Tripod Mount
    Focus Range24 in. to Infinity (w) / 79.2 in. to Infinity (t)
    Flash FunctionsFlash Off • Auto Flash • Fill-in Flash • Red-eye Reduction Flash
    Macro Focus Range4.8 - 27.6 in. (w) / 46.8 - 82.8 in. (t)
    File Size (Low Res.)0.46 MB (about 278 images on 128MB card)

• Sensor: 4.23 megapixel CCD
  • Max resolution: 2304 x 1728 pixels
  • Exclusive Share button for one-touch e-mailing, printing, and transferring
  • Lens: f/2.8-8.0 6.3-63.2mm Schneider-Kreuznach Variogon (35mm equiv: 38-380mm) w. 3x digital zoom
  • Sensitivity: Auto ISO 80-160; Selectable ISO 80, 100, 200, 400, 800
  • Exposure: Program AE, picture modes, aperture priority, shutter priority, manual, w. exposure compensation, and selectable spot meter
  • White balance: auto, daylight, tungsten, fluorescent
  • Burst: 3 frames-per-second for 6 frames
  • File format: JPEG
  • Movie mode
  • Storage media: Secure Digital and Multimedia cards
  • Interface: USB 2.0 and Kodak EasyShare Camera Dock 6000

Submitted by Bolo_Grubb a Casual

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2007

Strengths:    Great color. 10X zoom. Long battery life. great quality lens. Uses SD memory cards.

Weaknesses:    Proprietary Battery

Bottom Line:
    We bought this camera because a friend of ours has it and uses it to take photo of her daughters dive meets. Awesome pictures. Great color and great detail. Very sharp action pictures.

We took this camera with us on a trip to Japan and the worst thing happened. The battery charger died and the battery lasted only about half the trip. We were taking pictures constantly.

There are no Kodak dealers in Japan :( Once we got back to the states we contacted Kodak's customer service and had a replacement charger very quickly.

Have since taken this camera on several vacations with no other mishaps. Battery last a week on vacations of taking hundreds of pictures.

Start up to picture taken seems about 3 seconds. Longer in bad lighting conditions. Light weight enough to carry in a fanny pack and not really notice it.

I still have not learned how to use most the features, works so well on auto that is what I use most the time.

Purchased At:   CompUsa

Similar Products Used:   Casio exilim ex-z850, DXG-608

Submitted by wthelenX27 a Expert

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2005

Strengths:    Great color.
    10X zoom.
    Long battery life.

Weaknesses:    None

Bottom Line:
    Great replacement for 35mm snapshots.
    I purchased this camera to take on vacation. I did not want to lug around my medium format equipment.
    I could not be more pleased with this camera's performance.
    It is fast enough for candid shots.
    Has enough manual control to get any shot that I want.
    Has great color rendition and is dead easy to use.
    Having the 10X zoom makes framing shots easy and allows me to get the shots I want without cropping later.
    The external flash sync is a great feature.
    The compression rate is not an issue with me. I get the image that I want from this camera and, to me, that is all that matters.
    I can easily print 8X10, and have even printed 20X30 with much better results than I expected.
    I still use Medium Format film for my commercial work, but I have sold some work created with this camera.

Purchased At:   CompUSA

Similar Products Used:   Kowa 6X6
    Kiev 6X6
    Canon A1
    Speed Graphic 4X5

Submitted by dmk9561 a Expert

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2004

Strengths:    Image quality is (so far) superb. Good price, excellent features and versatility, light weight, included rechargeable battery, zoom range (I could go on for a long time).

Weaknesses:    1. Software. Once I got it installed, it works flawlessly and easily. However, it required a service pack update to my Windows 2000 that gave me a BSOD and required a full reinstall. Ouch. That upset me a little, but I did fix it. That wasn't really Kodak's fault, but just be warned.

2. Power up takes a little longer than I would like, mostly because the lens folds itself into the body when the camera is powered down. It takes it about a second to reach shooting position. Once there, focusing and zooming do not change the length of the lens barrell.

3. Using "speeds" higher than ISO 140 gets grainy in a hurry. It looks remarkably like enlarging old high-speed film. Dark areas get a random blotchiness that averages to the right color, just like the Konica 3200 color print film used to. If you can stick to bright lights or the tiny flash. An external flash can be used for better range. Vivitar 283 fans, rejoice! It doesn't require a dedicated flash.

Bottom Line:
    First let me say that I'm an experienced 35mm photographer. Having used everything from an Exakta VX to Nikon N90s, and using a Canon EOS Elan IIe for the last several years, I didn't expect to find a digital that I could afford that I would be happy with. I saw this camera a while back at Wal-Mart, and looked at it because I thought it was an SLR. I was impressed by the price and the Schneider-Kreuznach lens, but a little disappointed that it wasn't really an SLR.

Last week, I found it on clearance at Staples for $100US less than it usually sells for elsewhere and bought it. I'm not sorry at all. In everything from convenience features to quality, I'm still thrilled. Pictures are sharp, properly-exposed, and colorful, just like they should be. The preview screen is the largest available, and excellent. The electronic viewfinder works well and is nearly as sharp as the screen on back. It's easy to use, takes great pictures, and is essentially silent if you turn off the ersatz "motor drive" sound.

Let me address the shortcomings mentioned by other reviewers.

1. Blur. Many people mention blurry pictures as a criticism of this camera. They probably don't mention that they were trying to handhold shots at full zoom. The lens is 38-380 equiv. in 35mm terms. I always used 1/focal length as a shutter speed guide. It would be bright conditions indeed for the camera to select 1/380 sec. The camera can shoot from ISO 80 to 400 with acceptable results, but 80 is by far the best and the camera does default to 80 if it possibly can make the shot that way. This might sometimes mean that you have a vivid picture that's motion-blurred. If you can keep a reign on trying to use more zoom than you have the hands for, you won't encounter blur. Also remember that focus precision is more important at longer focal lengths. It takes longer to focus when it's zoomed all the way out.

2. Bad night pictures. I've not encountered a camera that has a night mode that's better than I am. If you take over control of this camera, you can get great night pictures. I shot pictures of the stars last night, and they came out perfect. Most of that was because I knew to shoot on manual, bracket exposures, and have realistic expectations. No camera's automatic modes will let you shoot pictures like in National Geographic or the Neiman Marcus catalog.

3. Rechargable battery. Many people wish it used AA batteries so you won't be tied to a charger. Don't worry about it. It will shoot hundreds of pictures on one charge, so just remember to charge the battery after a long day of shooting. Big deal. I like that I won't have to buy AA batteries for it. The cost would add up.

4. Lack of "raw" image format. I havn't had a problem with this, and noone short of a real pro is likely to. It does store pictures only as JPG, but I havn't seen any problems one would normally associate with that. YMMV.

5. Slow movie framerate/noisy movies/no zoom in movie mode, etc. This is not a camcorder. The movie mode is like a freebie for me, and I recognize the reasons for these weaknesses. If you really want to shoot movies, buy a MiniDV camcorder instead. You'll be a lot happier with it.

6. Non-pocketable size. How could you possibly expect it to be much smaller?

7. Uncomfortable grip. I've got bear-paw hands, so it's not as comfortable as the meaty contour grip of my EOS. It's not the worst I've felt, but they could've gotten this a little better by adding a little more size to that end of the camera. I don't think that it would hurt anyone's feelings if that end were just a smidge larger. See #6

8. Controls. These are some of the best and most intuitive controls I've seen in a long time. However, it seems that way to me because they so closely mimic the controls on my EOS. I especially like the fact that the control dial is lighted. Expect to stumble through it a little if you aren't generally used to using versatile cameras, but you'll quickly find that it can do most of what you'd expect from a 35mm SLR and then some.

Purchased At:   Staples

Similar Products Used:   Kodak digital models from DC120 on up, cheap Concord digitals, Nikon Coolpix models, high-end 35mm point-and-shoots like Olympus or Pentax, Canon EOS Elan IIe.

Submitted by tsbbartholomew a Casual

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2004

Strengths:    Zoom lens from Scneider is incredible!!

Weaknesses:    Slow Auto-Focus. Expensive prints from camera.

Bottom Line:
    Great camera! The pictures are flawless as long as you allow for the focus time. Can't rush this camera. The body of the camera feels very well made. Easyshare system with printer dock is totally cool with amazing print results. Just like having a professional print studio, from camera to end result, in your home. Love it!!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Had a Sony Mavica CD250 before this.

Submitted by fuzail a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2004

Strengths:    Long enough zoom for a intermediate user
    user firendly, easy to adjust the manual settings.
    excellent pic in lowlights

Weaknesses:    Slow auto zoom
    hard to hold and shoot while on full zoom

Bottom Line:
    Bought online as it is my first digital camera as I useed slr all the time and was not a big fan of digital photography but since i got this after thinking and reading the reviews of this owsome camera i would advice that it is the bigest bank of your $$ so go for it.Printed 4X6 pic printed like 35mm camera no diffrence battery life is good.

Purchased At:   ebay