Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 6 to 7 Megapixel | Casio

Interchangeable LensNot Interchangeable Lenses
    35mm Zoom Lens38 - 114 mm
    Digital Zoom8x
    Focus TypeAutofocus & Fixed Focus & Manual
    Focus Range15.75 in. to Infinity (w)
    Macro Focus Range3.94 - 15.75 in. (w)
    Focal Length7.9 - 23.7 mm
    Image Resolutions640 x 480 • 3072 x 2048 • 2560 x 1920 • 2048 x 1536 • 1600 x 1200 • 3072 x 2304
    Video Resolutions320 x 240 (QVGA) • 640 x 480 (VGA)
    Video Speed30 fps
    Max Movie LengthWithout Limit (Depends on the camera free memory size)
    Video FormatAVI • MPEG-4
    Aperture Rangef2.8/f4 (w/t)
    Shutter Speed1/8 - 1/1600 sec
    White BalanceAuto • Manual
    Memory TypeBuilt-in • MMC Card • SD Card
    Built-in Memory Size8.3 MB
    Compression ModesFine • Normal
    Compression TypeJPEG
    File Size (High Res.)4.4 MB (29 images on 128MB card)
    File Size (Low Res.)0.09 MB (about 1,422 images on 128MB card)
    ISO SpeedsAuto • 50 • 100 • 200 • 400
    Flash TypeBuilt-In
    Flash FunctionsFlash Off • Auto Flash • Fill-in Flash • Red-eye Reduction Flash
    ViewfinderOptical
    Interface TypeUSB 2.0
    Battery TypeProprietary Lithium
    Battery Life325 Images
    Self Timer2 Sec. • 10 Sec.
    Mp3 Built In
    Included AccessoriesSoftware • USB Cable • Video Cable • Cradle / Docking Station • Lithium Battery • AC Power Adapter • Strap
    Release DateApril, 2005

The EX-Z750’s 7.2 megapixel CCD delivers superior image quality, while the 3X optical zoom lens and large 2.5-inch LCD offer enjoyable operation. Besides manual operation, the camera offers a versatile range of shooting options for a variety of effects. Using MPEG-4 format, high quality VGA-size movies can be captured at 30 frames per second.

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Review

by Photo-John

One of four cameras in Casio's Exilim Zoom series, the Casio Exilim EX-Z750 is a pocket-sized, 7-megapixel compact digital camera with a 3x optical zoom lens, 2.5-inch LCD, a full range of exposure controls, and MPEG-4 movie capabilities.

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Pros and Cons

Price: $400-450 US

Pros
  • Truly pocket-sized
  • Big LCD
  • Best Shot mode with illustrative images and descriptions
  • Fast start-up and quick shutter response
  • Accurate, saturated color
  • Awesome battery!
    Cons
  • Exposure control a bit awkward
  • LCD hard to see in bright sunlight
  • Awkward, two-button playback control
  • Somewhat harsh, contrasty image quality
  • No ISO info in EXIF data
Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Studio Test Images

Casio Web site >>

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 - front and back
Introduction
Casio Exilim EX-Z750 - truly pocket-sized
Let me start out by saying that I loved using the EX-Z750. The small size, speed, and 7-megapixel CCD add up to a more than competent package. Casio was one of the first camera manufacturers to realize that they needed to improve camera responsiveness. They've built a niche for themselves with fast, compact cameras with great features. I'd been hearing great things about Casio digital cameras for a couple of years and I've been anxious to try one. The EX-Z750 was my first chance.

I used the Exilim EX-Z750 for about a month, in a variety of situations, including a mountain bike trip to the Austrian Alps. I took all kinds of pictures with it, from tourist snapshots and party pics, to mountain biking and product photos. Some of the photos I took in Austria with the EX-Z750 were even published in a magazine article about the mountain bike event I attended.

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Key Features
  • 7.2 megapixel CCD
  • Exilim Image Engine for fast image processing
  • 2.5-inch LCD
  • Best Shot Mode with 30 scene modes and scene mode descriptions
Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Features
Casio Exilim EX-Z750 - Best Shot ModeThe main components of the Casio Exilim EX-Z750 are the 2.5-inch LCD display, the fast processor, and the 7.2-megapixel sensor. The camera has lots of other useful and fun features but the sensor and speed were most important to me. The EX-Z750 has a very wide range of exposure controls including full manual and excellent, consumer-friendly exposure modes. The Best Shot mode includes 30 different "scene modes." These are preset programs for photo subjects like Portrait, Children, Pet, Scenery, Night Scene, and Fireworks. Each one has an illustrative image and description to give the photographer an idea of what it will do. The Casio Best Shot Mode offers photographers creative options for taking better pictures as well as helping them understand how the camera works. There's also a Best Shot mode for video recording.

The EX-Z750 lens is a standard 3x optical zoom with a variable aperture of f/2.8-5.1. There are three auto focus options. Spot AF uses one focus point in the center, Multi uses nine focus points to identify the subject and focus for you, and Free allows you to move one focus point to any part of the frame that you want. I had the camera set for "Quick Shutter" which allows the photographer to take a picture without achieving perfect focus. This allows you to shoot quickly, even if the camera hasn't been able to focus yet - another example of Casio's attention to camera speed. For low-light shooting the Auto focus Assist light helps ensure you get your subject in focus. In Manual or Snapshot mode, exposure variables are selected with the "Set" button and controlled with the zoom lever.

Normally I ignore gimmicky software features. But I really like the Exilim EX-Z750s neat calendar. In playback mode there's a button that allows you to browse your photos with a calendar. If you save a lot of images on one card, the calendar makes it really easy to find photos. I don't know how much I'd actually use it. But it's a creative idea and I enjoyed playing with it. It also demonstrates Casio's "think-outside-the-box" design approach.

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 - LCD Display
Casio Exilim recording display, with live histogram on

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 - LCD Display
Casio Exilim play display, with histogram and image info on
Casio Exilim main menu

Casio Exilim EX menu
Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Design
All of the Casio Exilim cameras are truly compact. I love the fact that the EX-Z750 really is a "pocket-sized" camera. It never felt bulky or uncomfortable when I carried it in my front pants pocket. The EX-Z750 has a sturdy, aluminum case with a huge, 2.5-inch LCD display that takes up most of the back of the camera. The Casio design engineers compromised on the optical viewfinder in favor of the big LCD. Most casual digital photographers just use their camera's LCD and probably won't mind the tiny viewfinder. However, I like to use an optical viewfinder for panning, when I shoot action photos. I found the tiny optical viewfinder on the EX-Z750 to be pretty unusable.

The camera control layout is pretty good. Most of the time I didn't have to look at or think about the controls. The shutter-release and zoom lever are in the standard location, on the right side of the top of the camera. The mode dial is at the top right corner of the rear, within easy reach of the photographer's thumb or index finger. The EX button, which offers quick access to basic functions like ISO, white balance, and resolution, is on the left side of the camera body, as is the drive button. I found the EX button a little awkward to push. But it's faster than using the menu to change the same settings.

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 - Controls
Left: Casio Exilim EX-Z750 mode dial, menu button, display button, etc.
Right: EX and Continuous shutter button

They've packed a lot into this little camera and overall I think the design is very nice. I had one problem with the camera construction. After my trip to Austria I discovered a dent in the front of the camera's aluminum body. I'm not sure if I did it or it came that way. It hasn't been a problem. But don't assume that a metal body means the camera is indestructible. Remember, plastic flexes and metal dents. Both materials have their pros and cons.

Camera Experience
As I said in my introduction, I really liked shooting with the EX-Z750. The Exilim Image Engine ends up being the standout feature for me. I have no doubt that the fast processing helped me get mountain bike photos where other compact cameras would have failed. More than once I got a picture I didn't expect the camera to be quick enough to catch. Of course, good technique is still important. Don't expect the Exilim EX-Z750, or any other camera, to take the picture for you. But if you prefocus and plan your shots well, this camera will likely surprise you.

The EX-Z750 has more than enough exposure options for most people, including me. I tend to stick with manual exposure when I use SLRs, and aperture or shutter priority when I'm using compact cameras. In this case, I all three options were available, as well as Snapshot mode (full auto) with exposure compensation. Most of the time I used aperture priority, controlling exposure by changing the aperture and exposure compensation

Other than initial camera setup and formatting the memory card, I hardly ever had to use the menu. All of the controls I needed to shoot - exposure, white balance, flash, and exposure compensation - have controls on the camera. That means you don't have to waste time going through menus to change settings when you're trying to take a picture. This is another example of the good planning that went into the Exilim EX-Z750 camera design. It also helps you get more and better pictures because you can adjust most settings almost instantly.

One downside, for me, is the tiny optical viewfinder. I've found that optical viewfinders are really the only way to do good panning photos with compact digital cameras. Using the LCD almost always results in missed shots. But the EX-Z750's viewfinder was too small to really use. It's ok for still shots, but too hard to use for action, which is where I really need it. The big LCD was better than I'm used to. I was to pan with it, although not as well as if I could with a decent optical viewfinder. Also, in very bright sunlight I had a hard time seeing the LCD display.

Image Quality
The Exilim EX-Z750's resolution is excellent. I believe the current crop of 7-megapixel compact cameras is the best yet. Seven megapixels is more than enough resolution for prints up to 11x14 inches and it's enough to make 8x10 prints with almost no interpolation. Handled correctly, a 7-megapixel file will easily make good enlargements of 16x20 inches and larger. However, there's a lot more to image quality than pixel-count. Image quality is a combination of white balance, optics, image processing, exposure, and resolution. For the casual photographer, the EX-Z750's image quality is probably very good. However, after careful and close evaluation, I found it a bit contrasty and oversaturated. The photos look great on the LCD display and right out of the camera. However, if you have an underexposed photo or any image that could use some selective adjustment, the contrast and saturation can be a problem. Generally, images that look good right out of the camera offer the least overall potential. While I liked the photos I took with this camera, they didn't allow me much room for adjustment or "optimization."

I also noticed a bit of haloing in between areas with lots of contrast - like the edge of a mountain with blue sky in the background. Take a look at the edges of objects in the studio samples to see what I mean. I can't remember exactly when, but at some point I changed the camera's sharpness setting to "-1". I found the default setting was making my images appear a bit harsh and "crunchy." I'd prefer to have them come out of the camera a little soft and then sharpen them to my own satisfaction with the Photoshop Unsharp Mask filter. For further evaluation, I printed a couple of unadjusted EX-Z750 files on our HP Photosmart 7960 printer. Color and contrast was pretty good right out of the camera. However, even with the sharpness set to "-1" I had a bit of haloing between mountains and blue sky.

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 mountain bike action sampleCasio Exilim EX-Z750 - Austrian mountain villageCasio Exilim EX-Z750 flower closeup
Click on thumbnails to view sample photos.

If I owned this camera I'd set the in-camera contrast, saturation, and sharpness to "-1". As I said earlier, the overall look of the photos was a bit overdone for me. On the other hand, most casual photographers, who don't want to make their own adjustments, will probably like the way the default settings look. It's nice to have options. In this case, they make a big difference.

As far as noise goes, this camera is in keeping with other 7-megapixel cameras we've tested. It delivers the best image quality at its lowest sensitivity setting. At ISO 50 my studio test was essentially noise-free. At ISO 100 some noise becomes apparent, although it even close to enough to disturb me. The noise really starts to appear at ISO 200, and at 400 it starts to get a bit nasty. Digital cameras have made us all a bit oversensitive about image quality, though. Even though there is visible noise at ISO 200 and 400, I wouldn't hesitate to use those settings if it helps me get the shot. Especially since the 7.2 megapixel sensor will effectively hide a lot of noise in the huge number of pixels. Still, you'll get the cleanest files from the EX-Z75 at its lowest ISO setting of 50.

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 party flash sampleCasio Exilim EX-Z750 bicycle trials photoCasio Exilim EX-Z750 mountain landscape
Click on thumbnails to view sample photos.

Just to qualify my image quality evaluation, all photos were shot at the highest resolution and highest quality setting that the camera offered. Making any kind of resolution or quality change results in diminished image quality. I recommend always shooting at the maximum resolution and highest quality your camera offers. Why buy a 7-megapixel camera if you aren't going to take advantage of what it has to offer?

Conclusion
As I said in my introduction, I really enjoyed using the Casio Exilim EX-Z750. I've even thought about buying one for myself. It has a great list of features, including a lot of manual controls as well as great point-and-shoot functionality. But what really sets this camera apart for me is the combination of speed and size. I love that I can drop it in my pocket and take it everywhere. And I am very, very impressed with the quick startup and minimal shutter-lag. Image quality may not be the best. But I'm willing to trade a little image quality for portability and functionality. In the end, it's a point-and-shoot that doesn't feel like an unreasonable compromise to this SLR user. If I make the decision to leave my digital SLR at home and take the Casio in my pocket, I don't worry that I've made a big mistake. Because I know the EX-Z750 delivers.
Who Should Buy The Casio Exilim EX-Z750
I think I can safely say that anyone who wants a fast, pocket-sized, point-and-shoot digital will be happy with this camera. If you want the coolest, tiniest digital camera ever, the Exilim EX-Z750 may be too big - even though it fits in a pocket easily. If image quality is your top priority, you probably shouldn't be reading this review or considering compact digitals at all. I like it as a carry-everywhere compliment to my digital SLRs. Anyone who wants an actual pocket-sized compact with lots of features should be more than happy with the EZX-Z750.

-end-

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 box contents
Contents of the Casio Exilim EX-Z750 box.

• Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Digital Camera
  • Rechargeable lithium ion battery
  • USB cradle
  • 2 CD ROMs
  • USB cable
  • AV cable
  • Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Basic Reference (manual)
Note: SD memory card not included

Other Resources:
Casio Exilim EX-Z750 User Reviews >>
Write a Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Review >>
Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Sample Gallery >>
Casio Web site >>

Did you find this review useful? Click below to share it!
del.icio.us del.icio.us
tag it!
Add to Technorati Favorites
Professional Reviews:

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Pro Review >>

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Review at Imaging Resource

Submitted by mtbjohn a Casual

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2006

Strengths:    Battery Life
Image Quality
Compact Size
Light Weight

Weaknesses:    Limited optical zoom
Flash can over-power close subjects
Proprietary battery, can't use AAs in a pinch

Bottom Line:
A great pocket camera. Compact, light, excellent battery life and outstanding image quality. I purchased this camera just before Christmas last year. I've been very happy with the image quality. I use a 256 meg card in it and can take a couple hundred shots on the highest quality setting. The battery lasts long enough to fill up the card 2 or 3 times. On our vacation to the east coast of the US last spring I shot hundreds of pictures and took a few short video clips and never had to recharge the battery.

Purchased At:   Costco

Similar Products Used:   Minolta Dimage F100

Submitted by matt12 a Casual

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2006

Strengths:    Video quality, image quality, size, weight, ease of use, and more.

Weaknesses:    The built in memory card will only hold about 5 pictures. Definitely replace that when you get the chance. I have a 1GB card.

Bottom Line:
I bought this camera for a mountain bike trip to BC this summer, and got rush delivery on it. Off the bat I was impressed with the camera's size, since it is a definite plus to have something small and compact when riding on a bike with the camera.

I've used the camera a lot (for me) in the time I've had it, and it does great for what I need it to do. I'm not an advanced camera user, so I stick to the auto focus, and stock settings rather than choosing to alter them, but if you are so inclined, it seems this camera has a ton of manual options that you can adjust.

In the time I've had it, it has been used for action mountain bike pictures, and has done great! Even at high speeds, everything seems to come out in focus, even in the stock settings, and the camera works great. I couldn't be happier.

I was also impressed by the relatively high video quality it had... I expected it to shoot poor quality, pixelated video.

I would recommend this camera to anyone. It is easy to use, compact, light, and has a wide range of adjustments for the more advanced and those who are technically inclined.

Purchased At:   eBay (New)

Similar Products Used:   Canon Powershot A300

Submitted by VinnyP! a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2006

Strengths:    Size, build quality, speed of start up and handling, battery life, picture quality (at ISO 50, 100 and 200). movie quality, past movie mode, shutter priority, aperture priority and manual modes. Quick access to ISO WB shutter priority and focus modes, unlimited user setting memory groups.

Weaknesses:    The flash is very underpowered, noise is high at ISO 400, no auto bracketing.

Bottom Line:
This is my go anywhere camera and it's very near perfect for my needs. I either have it in my case or in my pocket. I carry it in a slip in plastic case which came with a card reader so it's always ready. If you want to read an excellent review which sums up how I use my 750 and that goes into painful detail about what the camera can do then read http://www.kenrockwell.com/casio/exz750.htm. For me the camera needed to be pocketable, have decent manual overrides and most importantly take good quality photographs. This meets al those criteria. Considering it has a telescoping lens it's incredibly fast to start up so you don't miss a picture, it has a large clear bright usable 2.5" screen, accurate and flexible metering and focuses well. It also has a just about usable optical viewfinder and a very weak flash which is disappointing. It is small enough to pocket easily but quite weighty with a solid all metal construction, this gives it a quality feel..

The lens is very sharp and good to the edges its 35-105 equivalent and I would much prefer it if it was 30-90 or even 27-81, the default contrast and sharpening in camera are too high for my taste but these are easy to turn down. It's quite slow at the maximum zoom being 2.8-5.1 but that's the price you pay for it being a compact. It is a 7.2mp camera which produces really excellent results.

What I want to highlight is how easy this is to use, it has lots of the usual "scene modes" (called best shot by Casio) a couple of which are actually useful e.g. one for photographing a page of print that corrects for distortion in camera. But these are not to be overlooked even for serious photographers because you can create your own and have a picture to preview their effects. So for example if I want to take a picture hand held under Tungsten light on the screen I see a picture I took of an A4 sheet of paper explaining the mode and I am automatically into aperture priority with the camera wide open, ISO400, flash off and Tungsten white balance. When shooting a separate button gives you quick access to quality, ISO, WB and AF area. The four way controller buttons can be adjusted but the default is fine: flash mode, focus mode (inc manual focus) and exp comp. Picture noise is only average on this camera above ISO 100 200 and 400 are not unusable by a long way but there are better cameras out there for high ISO. This is more of a problem with compacts because of the slow lenses. It has 3 continuous modes, 2 gimmick modes and one very slow continuous mode, it’s so slow you are unlikely to use it. The other modes give 30fps for 25shots but only at 640x480 which it saves to one file like a contact sheet. The last mode takes a picture then immediately takes a partial crop which it saves as separate file. I’d rather have 3fps at say 4MP and instead of the zoom mode auto bracketing which is a glaring omission.

I have a spare battery for this but never carry it, this goes for weeks without the battery level moving and you can take hundreds of shots between charging.

I will touch on the movie mode this is very impressive for such a small camera although like most compacts you can't zoom whilst shooting. This also has scene modes and also has 2 other modes short movie and past movie. Short movie lets you decide how much time before and after you press the shutter release it will record; this is not so useful for me but the past movie mode is great. It’s used for those waiting for the dolphin to jump moments. You just keep the camera pointed at the scene then when what you want happens you press the record button and it starts recording with the previous 5 seconds of activity already recorded. It’s not time travel it’s constantly recording 5seconds of activity to the buffer. It doesn’t get used that often but it’s there in my pocket for if I do.

It also has a sound recording mode which again is useful in a device you have with you always but I use my phone for that.

It has some impressive in camera picture and video editing facilities which mean if you are out and about you could crop and resize for sending via your mobile phone or PDA if it took SD cards which mine doesn’t.

This camera has now been replaced by the Z850 which has an 8MP sensor and some useful extra features. .8 of a MP doesn’t make too much difference both will print well over A4 without a problem Most importantly the flash is improved and there is a video light too; the screen which is pretty good here is much brighter on the 850. The 850 adds 800 ISO and less noise at higher ISO. As soon as it came out I got one, then exchanged it for a second and then sent it back. It is a great camera and the improvements are really useful, but (and this is not just my opinion) the 8MP CCD is not as good as the 7.2 and the images it produces are not of the same quality, and that is even more apparent in the movie mode. SO I’ll stick with this until something better comes along.

For me the improvements from the 850 would be welcome especially a better flash if they stuck with a smaller but better CCD. I’d like to see a “pro” version. Not that I am a pro but if Casio could remove some of the snappy features and add some usability. For example if the short movie and sound record were moved off the mode dial then aperture and shutter priority could have there own position instead of being a sub set under manual. Also instead of pic quality on the quick acess metering mode would be useful As I’ve said 30-90 is a much better zoom range than 35-105 especially if this could get an extra half stop out of the lens. Bluetooth would be great meaning if out and about I could transfer that money shot to my phone and send it to Reuters thereby making my millions :)

So in summary if you want a compact, well made, quick to use, versatile camera which takes great photos and is easy to use with some creative possibilities then you will not be disappointed by either this or the Z850. For me the marginally better low ISO image quality of this one pushed me this way, for a lot of people the Z850 offers more.

Purchased At:   Dixons

Similar Products Used:   Pentax 330RS, Casio EX850

Submitted by MTBROB a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2005

Strengths:    Good Pics/FAST/EASY TO WORK WITH

Weaknesses:    Better Keep it in a glass case if you want to keep it for awhile. If you actuly want to use it don't let anything hit the sceen or your done. Never stand up if it falls your done.

Bottom Line:
Well takes good pics & Vids. But what I don't know about is if it can take a hit and keep on shooting. I set my camera down stright up and it fell back onto the screen and broke it. And their telling me no Warrenty becasue the only way it could have cracked is by an outside force. LAME LAME.

Purchased At:   Sammy's

Submitted by JimsWorld a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2005

Strengths:    Wonderful camera, small, ready to shoot very fast, I caught a pic of a moose darting across the road while riding my bike. I reached into my jersey pocket, pulled it out, turned it on and shot within a few seconds. Many options to keep you busy having fun while shooting away. You can aford to play as you just delete what you don't like. I like this camera as you can see from my rating. I hope my problem with the LCD is just an isolated issue. If I continue to have problems with this LCD or have a continued delay in getting my camera back, I would most likely adust my rating downward.

Weaknesses:    Well the camera was sent back to Casio upon my return from vacation, August 15th. I was told Casio is awaiting parts, and I should wait 10 business days before contacting them again. I overnighted the camera back to Casio $40 expense, but it will be returned to me UPS ground, so another 3-5 days for shipping back. As you would assume I'm bummed about buying a new camera and having it fail within a couple of weeks and then have to wait about a month (hopefully) to get it back. I hope the problem with the LCD is just a one off and not a weak point.

Bottom Line:
I obtained this camera just before leaving for a couple of vacations the end of July. The first vacation, week long houseboat trip on Lake Powell, the camera worked fantastic. I was able to use its many options, Sunset, Twilight, etc. to create some wonderful shots. The second vacation a week long bicycle ride in the upper panhandle of Idaho and the camera again was working great, until half way into the vacation the 2.5" LCD went bad and was not usable. I was able to continue taking pictures, and found out how important it is to have a viewfinder. Upon returning home and uploading all the pictures to my computer, I was pleased to see I captured all the sites I wanted to record. I can use Photoshop to adjust and play with them, so I did not lose anything.

Purchased At:   Digital Liquidators