Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 6 to 7 Megapixel | Fujifilm

• MPN43860830
    Product ID20691314
    Memory TypexD Picture Card
    Battery TypeProprietary Lithium
    Included AccessoriesSoftware • USB Cable • Video Cable • Cradle / Docking Station • Hand Strap • 16 MB Memory Card • Driver • Lithium Battery • AC Power Adapter
    Exterior ColorSilver
    Release Date2003
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS 8 • Apple Mac OS 9 • Apple Mac OS X • Microsoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows 98 • Microsoft Windows 98SE • Microsoft Windows ME • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition • Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Optical Zoom3x
    Battery Life270 Images
    Image Sensor TypeCCD
    Interchangeable LensNot Interchangeable Lenses
    Aperture Rangef14 (t) - f2.8/f4.9 (w/t)
    ISO SpeedsAuto • 200 • 400 • 800 • 1600
    ViewfinderOptical (Through-the-lens)
    Interface TypeUSB
    Self Timer2 Sec. • 10 Sec.
    Video Resolutions320 x 240 (QVGA) • 640 x 480 (VGA)
    Flash TypeBuilt-In
    White BalanceAuto • Manual • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Incandescent (Preset) • Shade (Preset)
    Video FormatAVI
    Shutter Speed3 - 1/2000 sec
    Digital Zoom2.2x
    Compression ModesFine • SuperFine • Normal • Uncompressed • Basic
    Mp3 Built In
    Video Speed30 fps
    Camera TypeCompact
    Focus TypeAutofocus & Manual Focus
    Max Movie LengthWithout Limit (Depends on the camera free memory size)
    Compression TypeJPEG
    35mm Zoom Lens35 - 105 mm
    File Size (High Res.)12.9 MB (10 images on 128MB card)
    Focal Length7.7 - 23.1 mm
    Image Resolutions2832 x 2128 • 2048 x 1536 • 1600 x 1200 • 1280 x 960
    Built-in SpeakerWith Built-in Speaker
    Tripod MountWith Tripod Mount
    Focus Range24 in. to Infinity (w)
    Flash FunctionsAuto Flash • Red-eye Reduction Flash • Slow Sync
    Macro Focus Range3.5 - 21.2 in. (w)
    File Size (Low Res.)0.45 MB (about 284 images on 128MB card)

6.0 Megapixel, 3x Optical/2.2x Digital Zoom, Point-and-shoot, Digital Camera

Submitted by Bill Anton a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2006

Strengths:    Takes a big chunk out of your wallet.

Weaknesses:    Takes an even bigger chunk out of your wallet in repair costs!

Bottom Line:
After a bunch of research bought this camera shortly after its introduction by Fuji Film. At a price of nearly $800 CDN I thought I was buying a quality product that would last for years to come; boy was I mistaken. In less than one year it had to go out for a warranty repair. All was well until a few months ago when to took a picture and discovered that the F700 now had an even more severe problem in that the pictures I take are all streaky or completely white.

I sent an email to Fuji Film head office describing my camera fault and my dissatisfaction with the F700. They didn't even have the decency to reply; shame on you Fuji Film!

Submitted by antfarmer a Expert

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2003

Strengths:    Excellent quality of images, especially considering the small size and small lens.
Fast start up, fast autofocus.
Accepts tiny 512MB xD picture cards, so you can take about 1200 photos at 1MP resolution.
Blue fringing is much reduced compared to other digital cameras I've tried.
Construction is beautiful and well engineered.
Pictures in chrome mode are very film-like.
Underwater housing is available for $200... a temptation.
This camera is faster and takes better pictures than big bulky Dimage cameras of a year ago; I think if image quality in a conveniently small camera is a primary concern, this is the right camera.

Weaknesses:    I wish they had the option to take pictures at even lower resolution of 640 x 480, for those little quickie shots to email (the lowest possible resolution is 1280 x960). I wish you could pick between jpeg resolutions. I wish the tripod hole was centered. I wish the viewfinder had paralax markings. I wish I could see some exposure info in the optical viewfinder, for times when outside in the sun and the viewfinder is unreadable. I wish the manual focusing was a bit more intuitive.
I wish the "cradle" had an extra slot for a spare battery, so you could charge the one in the camera and the extra at the same time.
The instruction manual is adequate, but could be organized a little better, with more help in explaining why you would use some of the many features; I think the potential of the camera would be more obvious with better writing. I wish they would also include a mini version to travel with, with the essentials boiled down.

Bottom Line:
The F700 is a very nice camera. I wanted a digital camera with good resolution and optics, and something small enough and quick enough to grab at a moment's notice for spontaneous photography. I bought the case, and the camera stays on my belt all day, ready for use. The shadow detail is better than most other digital cameras I've used, and a bit more detail in bright areas. Easy to use as a snapshot camera, does a tolerable job in the default auto mode. If you have time to set up a shot, the various program modes, aperture prefered or shutter prefered, manual focus, exposure tweaking, white balance adjustments, and lots of other things you can't do with a film camera are there, if you can remember how to get to them in time. Coming from a background with SLRs, being used to a bright optical viewfinder with a microprism focusing, the hardest thing to get used to are the viewfinders; the LCD screen is not big, the optical viewfinder has parallax and is small and only usable with the right eye. This is a complaint in general, not directed to the f700 which isn't any worse and may be better than most in this regard. I download into the iMac using iPhoto, and it is painless. Never needed any of the software Fuji supplied.
I paid $550, and a few days after ordering I was seeing the camera elsewhere for about $500. I bought the leather case (simple, adequate, attractive), a 512MB xD picture card for $166, and a spare NP40 battery for $35 (but now I'm seeing the batteries even cheaper). On a trip, I will probably take all the pictures I want on one xD card, so I won't have to download to a laptop or anything like that, and maybe I'll get another xD card just in case.