Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 6 to 7 Megapixel | Pentax

Interchangeable LensNot Interchangeable Lenses
    35mm Zoom Lens38 - 114 mm
    Digital Zoom4x
    Focus TypeAutofocus & Manual Focus
    Focus Range15.72 in. to Infinity (w) / 19.68 in. to Infinity (t)
    Macro Focus Range0.36 - 23.64 in. (w)
    Focal Length6.3 - 18.9 mm
    Image Resolutions640 x 480 • 2592 x 1944 • 2304 x 1728 • 2048 x 1536 • 1600 x 1200 • 1024 x 768 • 3072 x 2304
    Video Resolutions320 x 240 (QVGA) • 640 x 480 (VGA)
    Video Speed30 fps
    Max Movie LengthWithout Limit (Depends on the camera free memory size)
    Video FormatQuickTime • Motion JPEG
    Aperture Rangef3.3/f4 (w/t)
    Shutter Speed4 - 1/2000 sec
    White BalanceAuto • Manual • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Tungsten (Preset) • Shade (Preset)
    Memory TypeBuilt-in • SD Card • SDHC Card
    Built-in Memory Size21.9 MB
    Compression ModesFine • SuperFine • Normal
    Compression TypeJPEG • EXIF 2.2 • DCF • DPOF
    File Size (High Res.)0.14 MB (914 images on 128MB card)
    File Size (Low Res.)3.74 MB (about 34 images on 128MB card)
    ISO SpeedsAuto • 100 • 200 • 400 • 800 • 1600 • 3200 • 64
    Flash TypeBuilt-In
    Flash FunctionsFlash Off • Auto Flash • Fill-in Flash • Red-eye Reduction Flash
    ViewfinderWithout Viewfinder
    Interface TypeUSB
    Battery TypeRechargeable Li-Ion Battery
    Battery Life210 Images
    Self Timer2 Sec. • 10 Sec.
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS 9 • Apple Mac OS X • Microsoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows ME • Microsoft Windows XP • Microsoft Windows Vista
    Warranty1 Year
    Exterior ColorSilver
    Included AccessoriesSoftware • USB Cable • Video Cable • Lithium Battery • Battery Charger • AC Power Adapter • Strap
    Release DateMarch, 2007
    MPNOPTIOW30

Take your underwater images to a new depth With an enhanced waterproof design, the compact Optio W30 performance capacity has more than doubled and now allows photographers to capture images underwater up to 10 feet for 2 hours. The generous 2.5 inch LCD monitor offers an LCD Bright Mode that can adjust the brightness of the screen as necessary for improved viewing in the sunlight. Ever the perfect camera for capturing adventure in the outdoors, the Optio W30 also features both Digital and Movie SR modes to reduce blur in both image and video capture. The Optio W30 also features the Face Recognition function and Macro Photography mode to allow image capture at under half an inch for stunning close-ups of photography subjects such as flowers, insects, jewelry and much more.

Read The Complete Pentax Optio W30 Pro Review >>

The Pentax Optio W30 is a weatherproof, 7-megapixel compact consumer digital camera. The metal body is sealed from dust and is designed to be waterproof to a depth of 3 meters (9.8 ft.) for underwater photography. The Optio W30 also features face detection technology, digital shake reduction (not image stabilization), and a 3x 38mm-114mm optical zoom lens (35mm equivalent).

Pentax Optio W30 Review Contents:

Pentax Optio W30 - front and back

Read The Complete Pentax Optio W30 Pro Review >>

Submitted by basyedad a Casual

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2009

Strengths:    Durable, waterproof, very good pictures, NO moving lens. Has many mode settings (Have only used a few).

battery lasts a pretty long time.

Bought an aftermarket extra battery that I take on trips.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Purchased camera about 3 years ago on a cruise ship after Casio Exilm was broke. Was very afraid of putting anything electronic near water. We have used on many vacations to the Keys, on boats, in the ocean and in pools.Last summer while rafting the Nantahala, the camera cord broke and the camera was lost in the bottom of some rapids. A few days later we received a call from a guide in the area who was looking for his lost sunglasses in the bottom of the river and he found the camera. He viewed the pictures and called our number (I had gone to a trophy shop and had labels made). He sent the camera back to me in Florida and I still use it today. I have another digital camera but prefer this one. Very good pictures. Camera is very sturdy. Am going to buy 1 for my son who has broken 2 other digital cameras.

Purchased At:   on cruise ship

Similar Products Used:   Our family has 5 Casio Exilm (various models), 2 Fuji digital (don't use anymore, 1 is to old and 1 is to big)

Submitted by Never Again a Beginner

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2009

Bottom Line:
I purchased this camera as a gift February 2008. We had problems with the memory card from the beginning and admit we should have sent it right back. Since we were on vacation we worked around the reloading issue of the memory card and were otherwise happy. We then started to have problems with the battery not holding a charge. We sent it away under warranty and have since been battling with Pentax for any kind of satisfaction. There is apparently internal water damage on what was suppose to be a water-proof camera. We have no children, this camera has only been handled by adults. My conclusion is talking pictures with this camera seems to exceed normal wear and tear -- not a great quality in a camera...

Purchased At:   Blacks

Submitted by woodrat a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2008

Strengths:    PROS:
Obviously the waterproof feature is hugely beneficial. I have so far had no troubles with water damage, but when I come home from a wet day, I rinse and dry off the camera, open up both little doors, look for any moisture, blow out and dust or moisture, clean the gaskets and let the camera sit in a warm, dry place and dry out if it was at all wet. If you close these doors on a grain of sand or something like that, I'm sure it would get wet inside. I think that if you are scrupulous about keeping the gaskets clean and dry, you should be alright as far as waterproofness goes. This camera does awesome macro shots! I was very pleasantly surprised by this. I like that the lens does not stick out or move in and out when turning the camera on. I think that this camera would survive the abuse of my youngest daughter reasonably well, not that I let her use it! This camera has a lot of useful features that I haven't even touched yet, in terms of settings and modes and so forth. Battery life has been very good.

Weaknesses:    CONS:
The auto focus is awfully slow and therefore has a hard time with action shots. I found that if I just use the panorama focus setting, I have better luck. The biggest thing that annoys me when shooting in wet environments are the water droplets on the lens. I have screwed up a lot of good shots like that, and I have found no way to solve this. I suppose something like Rain-X on the lens cover might help, I haven't tried that yet. I don't like the lack of a viewfinder. I am not really used to using the LCD for composition, and this screen is not easy to see well when you are outside or in bright light. When wearing paddling gloves, it is really hard to hit the buttons on the back correctly, and I often push the wrong one. Oh and did I mention the really really slow auto focus?

Bottom Line:
I have had pretty good luck with this camera. I have been using it for close to 6 months, and frequently in very wet situations, as I am a kayak guide and instructor. I have taken a few underwater pictures, but only just a few inches deep. I have taken a few movies with it too. I like having a camera that I can stick on a pocket and have it wherever I go, and this one seems to take that kind of abuse pretty well. I like its simple form and small, compact size and shape. And of course, I have never had a camera before that I could take kayaking and in other wet environments.

Purchased At:   local camera store

Similar Products Used:   older olympus point and shoots.

Submitted by Pamina a Casual

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2008

Strengths:    I can't complain for the pictures the camera took for the very short terms of its life. But I will never buy it again because of horrible experience described above.

Bottom Line:
I'd like to alert all customer about problems I had with this camera. I owned it for 6 months than it start getting foggy on the front lens and on the screen.
Since there are no shops able to repair it (not even in New York Ciry), I had to send it in Colorado to Pentax headquarter. They keep it for 3 weeks and than they send it back to me with a short message that I report here:
"A pressure test on the camera indicates the waterproof seals are intact, indicating the product exceeded the unit's waterproof capabilities.Extensive water damage exceeds the price of a new Pentax Product".

Now I am a kayaker. I never NEVER deep into water the camera, but of course it get wet when I take it out from the case. I think this kind of customer service is UNACCPETTABLE. Beside that since they send me the camera back, it does no longer store the pictures in the 1g memory card bought.

so now rather than sending it again to colorado, I am going to buy the Olimpus waterproof camera, hoping in better luck with the product and better customer service.

Purchased At:   amazon

Pentax Optio A30 and Optio W30 Digital Cameras - Press Release

[CENTER][B]PENTAX ANNOUNCES OPTIO A30 and OPTIO W30 COMPACT DIGITAL CAMERAS[/B][/CENTER] GOLDEN, CO. (February 21, 2007)…PENTAX Imaging Company has announced two compact digital cameras in advance of the Photo Marketing Association International Trade Show (PMA 2007). The PENTAX Optio A3 ... Read More »