Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 8 to 10 Megapixel | Canon

Camera TypeStandard Point and Shoot
    Interchangeable LensNot Interchangeable Lenses
    35mm Zoom Lens35 - 140 mm
    Digital Zoom4x
    Focus Range18 in. to Infinity (w)
    Macro Focus Range0.39 - 18 in. (w) / 9.8 - 18 in. (t)
    Focal Length7.3 - 29.2 mm
    Image Resolutions640 x 480 • 3264 x 2448 • 2592 x 1944 • 2048 x 1536 • 1600 x 1200
    Video Resolutions320 x 240 (QVGA) • 640 x 480 (VGA) • 160 x 120
    Video Speed30 fps
    Max Movie Length3,600 Seconds
    Video FormatAVI • Motion JPEG
    Aperture Rangef2.8/f4.1 (w/t)
    Shutter Speed15 - 1/2500 sec
    White BalanceAuto • Manual • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Cloudy (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Tungsten (Preset)
    Frames Per Second1.8 Frames
    Memory TypeMMC Card • SD Card
    Compression ModesFine • SuperFine • Normal
    Compression TypeJPEG • EXIF 2.2 • DPOF 1.1
    File Size (High Res.)3.44 MB (37 images on 128MB card)
    File Size (Low Res.)0.08 MB (about 1,600 images on 128MB card)
    ISO SpeedsAuto • 100 • 200 • 400 • 800 • 80
    Flash TypeBuilt-In
    Flash FunctionsFlash Off • Auto Flash • Red-eye Reduction Flash • Slow Sync • Forced On
    ViewfinderOptical
    LCD Protected PositionWith LCD Protected Position
    Interface TypeUSB 2.0
    Battery Type4 x AA Batteries
    Battery Life350 Images
    Self Timer2 Sec. • 10 Sec.
    Built-in SpeakerWith Built-in Speaker
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS X • Microsoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows 98SE • Microsoft Windows ME • Microsoft Windows XP
    Included Accessories4 x AA Batteries • Software • USB Cable • Video Cable • 16 MB Memory Card • Strap
    Release DateOctober, 2006
    MPN1288B001

PowerShot A630 not only boasts show-stopping 8.0 megapixel resolution, but is packed with a full range of high-performance features previously found only on Canon's higher-end cameras. The result is an affordable camera that produces truly superior photography. The high resolution is complemented by a 4x optical zoom that brings the world up close, and you'll see it all clearly on the big, bright 2.5-inch Vari-Angle LCD monitor. The 21 shooting modes make photography easy, fun and creative, and are joined by great functionality like expanded ISO settings that let you shoot in low light without blur.

Submitted by sherryjewett a Casual

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2008

Strengths:    Looks pretty

Weaknesses:    The whole camera. Would not recommend

Bottom Line:
I too bought this camera. Within months it started acting up and going blank during trying to take pictures. It works one minute and goes blank. This is one of the worst cameras I ever owned.

Purchased At:   target

Similar Products Used:   Kodak is better

Submitted by titrisol a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2008

Strengths:    Quality of lens/sensor
Flip=LCD

Weaknesses:    Low light performance
AF/AE gets fooled

Bottom Line:
Very good camera, quite pricey when I got it but full of features and produces good images.
Battery life is good

Purchased At:   DigitalStreet.nl

Submitted by joe electronics a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2007

Strengths:    Looks good. Packages and advertised very well. Features when read will entice your impulse but beware my firend!

Weaknesses:    Many including the warranty repair services!

Bottom Line:
I purchase the Canon Power Shot A630 over the internet. I liked the features specially with the ability to flip the LCD fro protection from scratches. I liked that it used regular batteriies and not the expensive kind. Problem is I was only able to take a few pictures before the camera broke. It stopped taking images and instead gave blank (black) images. I immediately shipped the camera to Canon for repair. They turned it around in ten days. One month later Iafter sitting in my closet I was again taking pictures why vacationing in the islands. While in the middle of taking pictures this camera again stopped capturing images and instead gave only blank images. Once I returned from my trip I again sent this camera back to Canon. This time they would not repair my camera unless I paid them $100.00 dollars. They calimed that there was a foreign substance on my camera that could possibly cause this failure. I know that when the camera was in my possession that is was well cared for and that nothing was ever spilled nor came into contact with my camera. I didn't pay for the service because I know in my heart this was either a design inherited flaw or I ended up with a lemon. Canon was more then happy to take the camera off my hands which I did not let them do. I will not buy from Canon again!

Purchased At:   Internet

Canon PowerShot A710 IS, A640 and A630 Digital Cameras - Press Release

[CENTER][B]Canon's New PowerShot A710 IS, A640 and A630 Digital Cameras Offer Consumers Feature Packed Options at Reasonable Price Points [/B][/CENTER] LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 24, 2006--Canon U.S.A., Inc. (NYSE:CAJ): New PowerShot A-Series Cameras Bring Such Sophisticated Techno ... Read More »