Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 8 to 10 Megapixel | Canon

Interchangeable LensNot Interchangeable Lenses
    35mm Zoom Lens28 - 200 mm
    Digital Zoom3.2x
    Focus TypeAutofocus & Manual Focus
    Focus Range19.2 in. to Infinity (w) / 39.6 in. to Infinity (t)
    Macro Focus Range3.9 - 19.2 in. (w) / 12 - 19.2 in. (t)
    Focal Length7.2 - 50.8 mm
    Image Resolutions640 x 480 • 3264 x 2448 • 2272 x 1704 • 1600 x 1200 • 1024 x 768
    Video Resolutions320 x 240 (QVGA) • 640 x 480 (VGA) • 160 x 120
    Video Speed15 fps
    Max Movie Length180 Seconds
    Video FormatAVI
    Aperture Rangef8/f8 (w/t) - f2.4/f3.5 (w/t)
    Shutter Speed15 - 1/4000 sec
    White BalanceAuto
    Frames Per Second2.5 Frames
    Memory TypeCompactFlash Card Type I • CompactFlash Card Type II
    Compression ModesFine • SuperFine • Normal • Uncompressed
    Compression TypeJPEG • Raw Image
    File Size (High Res.)9.02 MB (14 images on 128MB card)
    File Size (Low Res.)0.08 MB (about 1,600 images on 128MB card)
    ISO SpeedsAuto • 50 • 100 • 200 • 400
    LCD Protected PositionWith LCD Protected Position
    Interface TypeUSB
    Battery TypeProprietary Lithium
    Battery Life420 Images
    Self Timer2 Sec. • 10 Sec.
    Mp3 Built In
    Built-in SpeakerWith Built-in Speaker
    Tripod MountWith Tripod Mount
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS 9 • Apple Mac OS X • Microsoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows 98 • Microsoft Windows 98SE • Microsoft Windows ME • Microsoft Windows XP
    Warranty1 Year
    Exterior ColorBlack
    Included AccessoriesSoftware • USB Cable • Video Cable • Neck Strap • 64 MB Memory Card • Lithium Battery • Battery Charger • Remote Control • Lens Cap

The Pro1 has an extraordinary 8 Megapixels of imaging power, a superb Canon L-series 7x zoom lens, and a host of professional-level capabilities. Yet with all its advanced technology, the Pro1 retains the ease of use that PowerShot cameras are famous for.

Submitted by Canon a Professional

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2005

Strengths:    Compact size ang intuitive design (hand and interface), easy to use from professional or fully amateurs, Hi-Qu Lens series L, large range accessories included on set, high quality of image, firmware can be updated via web, unique property - ND filter, distance control of zoom, auto (with sensor)orientation (hor. or vert.), Perfect display 213000 px, sound note for easy image, owner name on EXIF, very sharplens macro and supermacro mode, exactly color space, speed RAW write.

Weaknesses:    Not image stabillizer, clatter lens, shade from flash if shooting 28 with

Bottom Line:
I very low speak english and d'ont write about technical parameters of Canon Powershot Pro 1.
I (and ?? childrens, 9y & 10y.) take over 14000 images (85% ~ 100ISO, 2% ~ 200ISO; 13%~400ISO) with full lens ring (28~200 eqv.) thoroughly Large size and Superfine ~99%.
With images from PSPro 1 sending (printed or uploading) entering of photocontests.
For 1 year we winning 5 awars:
2005 son - 10?, UNEP 2005, World;
2005 daughter 9?,- Bulg?rian ring of EU photo experiments for historical monument, EU;
2005 Best 100 shots of Konica-Minolta,
2005 Photography-Unlimited.com Japan;
2004 Roshe -Bulgaria.
For 1 year we winning 5 awards:
2005 son - 10?, UNEP 2005, World;
2005 Best 100 shots of Konica-Minolta Bulgaria,
2005 Photography-Unlimited.com, Japan;
2004 Roche -Bulgaria.
I'ts not boasting. It is result from fully complex of characteristics and propertyes. PSP 1 come this what is necessary in the moment of shooting immediately, for full age ring of consumers from 9 - 50 years, professional or fully amateurs.

Purchased At:   Boston

Similar Products Used:   Minolta Dimage A1, Olympus 8080, Ricoh (old), Nikon 8700.

Submitted by kev_my a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2005

Strengths:    I can't stop saying how awesome the picture quality is. The L lens really does make a difference! It's also great for macro ... it's super macro mode gets you even closer shots!

Weaknesses:    Rather slow focus but you can always use manual with a twist of the ring.

Bottom Line:
This is the second camera I bought after using Powershot S1 IS. What a big difference it was ... I mean ... BIG. In a positive way of course. The Pro 1 has to be the best prosumer camera out there. I bought this camera after a canoeing mishap that took my S1 IS into the water with me and was too costly to repair. I decided to go for the Pro 1 at the time because I wasn't ready for an SLR and it came with features that were important to me - swivel lcd screen, movie mode,etc. And I never regretted it! The L lens really captures amazing quality photos. I now own a digital SLR but refuse to part with this one, so it's always with me as a backup. I highly recommend this camera to anyone who is ready to move on from a low-end consumer camera but still feels uncertain about SLR cameras. You won't be disappointed at what it has to offer you.

Purchased At:   Futureshop

Submitted by obe a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2005

Strengths:    image quality, zoom lens, ease of use,compact size. swivel LCD.

Weaknesses:    it was the low light focusing, but has none now.

Bottom Line:
i bought this camera a few weeks ago,its an excellent camera, i had lots of problems with low light focusing, until i found out that their is a do-it-yourself update called "firmware"that can be downloaded from canon.com. it salves the problem completely. i recommend this download for all the pro1 users.

Purchased At:   costco.com

Submitted by Stephen Lutz a Expert

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
Update of earlier review (see below). With the firmware upgrade, this cameras AF performance is now slightly above average. Nothing spectacular, but it is now acceptable for general photography.

My overall grade for this camera has gone from C- to B. So, get the new firmware, if you own this camera.

Purchased At:   B&H

Submitted by Getu a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2004

Strengths:    Lens

Weaknesses:    too slow to focust on low light, focus lock is annoying.

Bottom Line:
I like the camera since it's compact and the l lens other than that my G2 is better than the pro 1

Purchased At:   Local store