Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 8 to 10 Megapixel | Canon

Image Sensor TypeCCD
    Interchangeable LensNot Interchangeable Lenses
    35mm Zoom Lens28 - 105 mm
    Digital Zoom4x
    Focus Range2 in. to Infinity (w) / 12 in. to Infinity (t)
    Macro Focus Range2 - 19.2 in. (w)
    Focal Length6 - 22.5 mm
    Image Resolutions640 x 480 • 2816 x 2112 • 2272 x 1704 • 1600 x 1200 • 3648 x 2736 • 3648 x 2048
    Video Resolutions320 x 240 • 640 x 480 (VGA)
    Video Speed30 fps
    Video FormatQuickTime
    Aperture Rangef2/f4.9 (w/t)
    Shutter Speed15 - 1/1600 sec
    White BalanceAuto • Manual • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Cloudy (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Tungsten (Preset) • Flash (Preset) • Underwater (Preset)
    Frames Per Second0.9 Frames
    Memory TypeMultimedia Card • SD Card • SDHC Card • MMC Plus
    Compression ModesFine • SuperFine • Normal • Uncompressed
    Compression TypeJPEG • Raw Image • EXIF 2.2 • DPOF 1.1
    File Size (High Res.)15.03 MB (9 images on 128MB card)
    File Size (Low Res.)0.08 MB (about 1,600 images on 128MB card)
    ISO SpeedsAuto • 100 • 125 • 160 • 200 • 250 • 320 • 400 • 500 • 640 • 800 • 1600 • 3200 • 80 • 1000 • 1250 • 2500 • 2000
    Flash TypeBuilt-In
    Flash FunctionsFlash Off • Auto Flash • Red-eye Reduction Flash • Slow Sync • Forced On
    ViewfinderWithout Viewfinder
    LCD ScreenWith LCD Screen
    LCD Screen Size3 in.
    Interface TypeUSB 2.0
    Battery TypeRechargeable Li-Ion Battery
    Battery Life220 Images
    Self Timer12 Sec.
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS X • Microsoft Windows XP • Microsoft Windows Vista • Apple Mac OS X 10
    Warranty1 Year
    Family LineCanon PowerShot
    Included AccessoriesSoftware • USB Cable • Neck Strap • Driver • AV Cable • Battery Pack
    Release DateSeptember, 2009

Canon's storied S Series gets a revitalized new leader in the slimmer, lighter, new PowerShot S90, the perfect everyday camera for people who are serious about great photography. Image quality is superb thanks to the new High Sensitivity System and higher ISO speeds, plus an exceptionally bright f/2.0 lens that makes portraits and low-light shots come to life. Photography enthusiasts will love the new control ring at the base of the lens barrel, designed for intuitive, pro-style manual control.

Submitted by Aputure a Professional

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2011

Strengths:    durable, good IQ, front control dial, WB trim, good colors out of the camera, sharp, very customizable, fast lens, good zoom range, fun to use

Weaknesses:    limited zoom range, only 15s long exposures, AV mode only allows 1s shutter speed, slippery finish, rear control dial spins easily

Bottom Line:
Overall, this is probably the best pocket camera on the market for the money. If you need/want the manual controls and best possible image quality in a compact camera, this is the one for you. If you don't need all those controls, get one anyways - you'll love the output from this camera. Both my parents and a friend recently got this model (and didn't really need it nor use the controls) but they all love it. Personally I can't imagine being much happier with a pocket camera. Now that the new Olympus XZ-1 is on the market, you might want to take a look at that one (but it is bigger and heavier)

Read my complete review here: http://www.aputure.com/blog/2010/05/21/canon-s90-review/

Purchased At:   Hong Kong (Mongkok C

Similar Products Used:   Canon 860 IS, Panasonic FX-38

Submitted by jonpratt a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2010

Strengths:    Fast Lens
Size
Picture Quality
Durability

Weaknesses:    WIthout the custom grip and Lensmate control dial this camera just doesn't work. It's impossible to tell which way the camera is situated in your hand without looking, and you can't just pull it out of a pocket and start shooting. Much more comfortable with both add-ons.

Bottom Line:
I've always struggled with finding the right camera for my needs. I'm an avid mountain biker, hiker, cross country skier, among other outdoor activities. I need a camera that can be kept in a pocket, easily accessed and take great pictures.
My requirements are RAW, manual controls, a fast lens, and pocketability.

I've used several Canon's from the S400 through the A710, all failed when I pixel peeped, or when I tried to take more creative photographs.

The S90 has, so far, been the ultimate choice for me. I can take photos with one hand while riding or skiing without having to fiddle with controls, or I can stop and go full manual. The low light qualities aren't as good as my Lumix DMC-LX3, but they are close. And the Lumix was not usable as quick shot camera because of its size and lens cover.

I love this camera, but two additional purchases need to be made to make it perfect.
1. Richard Franiec's custom grip. This should be standard on the S90 http://www.kleptography.com/rf/#camera_s90
2. The Lensmate S90 Control Dial Solution. Stops the rear wheel from being engaged when you don't want it to. http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/S90ControlDial.php

Purchased At:   DELL

Similar Products Used:   Lumix DMC-LX3
S400
SD780 among others

Submitted by lennox_tpc a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2010

Bottom Line:
So far, this is the best compact prosumer I have ever owned. Never used a Canon before, now, I am a believer!

Vivid colors, great details, very fast processing engine, and amazing at low-light conditions!

5 out 5 for me!

-lennox

Purchased At:   Philippines

Submitted by JL LEE a Beginner

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2010

Bottom Line:
Bought a canon S90 at arond $770/- in end Nov 09 to bring along for a trip to NZ. After the 13 days trip, i notice the camera was not functioning properly and sent it to the service center. They said that it is badly corroded and wanted to charge me S$450 for the repiar. I was no where near the sea for my whole trip, how could corrossion occur. I suspect the product is already corroded before I purchase it. Corrosion does not happen overnight as it takes some time before the deterioation takes place. Not in 13 days. They refuse my appea, any suggestion?

Purchased At:   an authorised dealer

Submitted by alisontravels a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2010

Strengths:    Great picture quality

Bottom Line:
I spent all day yesterday printing a few pictures from my travels. I am not the best at organizing my photos so it took a while to go through and sort out a few that I liked. I still have more to go through, but I chose a few to put up for sale on my Etsy site. You can see the pictures I put up on the right of the blog.

As you might know, I dropped and killed 2 Canon Powershot cameras during my travels. Recently, I purchased a new camera after I received a gift certificate from Amazon.

Buying a new camera is not an easy task since there are so many makes and models to choose from. Then you have to read the reviews and think about what is best for you. I decided to buy a Canon Powershot s90 camera. It's still a point and click and since I prefer the Canon brand, I chose this one. I am pleased so far with the results.

Most of my pictures I've taken on the road are with my Canon Powershot SD 1200 IS. After printing some of the images, it really is a good camera. I didn't have any complaints with it, besides it slipping from my hands a few times(of course that's the Camera's fault). I still have it and will continue to use it. However, I do love shooting with my s90 now.

Last week I went to a free photography group meeting to listen to a professional speak about their business. I thought, "why not? It's free and I will be able to meet like minded people who also share the same passion for photography." The group organizer asked everyone to introduce themselves and say what their first camera was and what their "dream" camera is. I listened as everyone rattled off numbers and names with the crowd smiling and nodding their heads knowing full well the cost, model, and performance of the camera that they were describing. To me, it was just a number. I mean...I know they are beautiful quality cameras but since I don't have a SLR, I couldn't relate.

It came to my turn to talk. I introduced myself...said that I quit my job to travel across the country with my dog in a tent. A lot of people in the group smiled at me with some applause in the room. Then I said I used a point and click and that I didn't really have a "dream" camera since I was pretty happy with what I had. The smiles I had at the beginning turned to confusion and for second, I could hear crickets chirping in the room. It's as if I lost all credibility at that moment. I then stopped talking and looked at the person next to me to continue the introductions (as I sunk lower in my chair). Once again, the camera model numbers came flowing with a collective sigh of relief amongst the group that there were more of "them" in the room.

Don't get me wrong, I would love the opportunity to push a button with a very large and expensive camera, but I don't have one and I think that anyone can take an amazing photo with what they have. After all, it's just a tool to capture what you are looking at in that point in time. However, I am not opposed to owning one in the future if the opportunity presents itself.

I feel that I almost have to apologize for the size of the camera I have. When people see large cameras, I think the automatic assumption is, "wow, they must be an excellent photographer!" When I see those cameras I automatically think that the photos must have amazing clarity but then my mind thinks: "wow, they have to lug that around with them the entire day...I wonder if their shoulder hurts. I wonder if they bang it on walls walking into a room or what would happen if they dropped it." Most likely, that would be my experience.

I was going to do a side by side comparison of my two cameras but I thought I would show you some of the pictures I have taken with each. If you are thinking of purchasing a Canon s90, I found this review helpful...including pictures. CLICK HERE for review.

Here are some pictures I took with both "point and clicks." Which one do you think I took with my less expensive 1200 and which one with my new s90?

Can you tell a difference? The first 5 images (excluding the camera photos) are from my lesser expensive Canon Powershot 1200IS and the last 4 pictures are from the new Canon s90. In my opinion, it's the picture you take that's the best photo. Don't let the equipment intimidate you or discourage you from taking a picture you love. The one you take that you cherish forever is the most important shot, no matter what camera you have.

More Here: http://alisontravelsblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/does-size-matter-cannon-powershot-1200.html