Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 8 to 10 Megapixel | Canon

Family LineCanon PowerShot
    Interchangeable LensNot Interchangeable Lenses
    35mm Zoom Lens38 - 114 mm
    Digital Zoom4x
    Focus Range12 in. to Infinity (w)
    Macro Focus Range1.2 - 3.9 in. (w) / 1.2 - 19.2 in. (t)
    Focal Length6.2 - 18.6 mm
    Image Resolutions640 x 480 • 3264 x 2448 • 2592 x 1944 • 2048 x 1536 • 1600 x 1200 • 3264 x 1832
    Video Resolutions640 x 480 (VGA) • 160 x 120 • 320 x 240
    Video Speed30 fps
    Max Movie LengthWithout Limit (Depends on the camera free memory size)
    Video FormatAVI • Motion JPEG
    Aperture Rangef2.8/f4.9 (w/t)
    Shutter Speed15 - 1/1500 sec
    White BalanceAuto • Manual • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Cloudy (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Tungsten (Preset)
    Frames Per Second1.3 Frames
    Memory TypeMultimedia Card • SD Card • SDHC Card
    Compression ModesFine • SuperFine • Normal • Uncompressed
    Compression TypeJPEG • Raw Image • EXIF 2.2 • DPOF 1.1
    ISO SpeedsAuto • 100 • 200 • 400 • 800 • 1600 • 80
    Flash TypeBuilt-In
    Flash FunctionsFlash Off • Auto Flash • Fill-in Flash • Red-eye Reduction Flash • Slow Sync
    ViewfinderOptical
    Interface TypeUSB 2.0
    Battery TypeRechargeable Li-Ion Battery
    Battery Life240 Images
    Self Timer2 Sec. • 10 Sec.
    Warranty1 Year
    Included AccessoriesUSB Cable • Video Cable • Hand Strap • Lithium Battery • Battery Charger
    UPC13803090154
    Release DateMarch, 2008

Color communicates. It introduces you before you say a word, making the Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS Digital Elph the ultimate image-maker. Five fashion-forward hues expressed in pure aluminum add a new burst of excitement to Canon’s Perpetual Curve design. Of course, a camera that brings out the best in you also delivers Canon’s most advanced technology features. Call it style with substance, for a new level of picture taking pleasure.

Submitted by mspawsholly a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2009

Strengths:    small if you want small, cute colors if you want cute, lots of icons if you want icons.

Weaknesses:    it;s so subjective, see above.

Bottom Line:
Based upon reviews I finally broke down & purchased a "real" digital camera vs. things I bought at on line auctions that I still can't use...
So, after all that research from Staples retail to on line purchase I was disappointed in this camera. First, if you're over 45 and your close up vision is starting to wane you will need your glasses to read the icons and text on camera.
You will also need a magnifying glass and a lot of time to peruse the instruction booklet which is tiny and every set of instructions refers to another page further in the book which refers you to other pages. It's like reading the telephone book.
I photograph animals and I just don't have time to dash about searching for my glasses etc etc. I also have cuts on my fingers from dry skin and washing constantly, so the teeny buttons were painful to operate. I'm not full of patience and need to get the shot when it happens and for me, this camera was not a good option. I"ve ended up with an older Panasonic DMC-TZ series (#1) which for me, is far superior for ease of use. I got ti for $100 at a Ritz Camera store closing.
It's bigger and bulkier (good - I'll be able to find it) but the screen is huge, the manual is easy to read and follow, and it's easy on the fingers and hands. For $50 less I have a camera I will use.

Purchased At:   Amazon