Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 8 to 10 Megapixel | Nikon

Camera TypeStandard Point and Shoot
    Interchangeable LensNot Interchangeable Lenses
    35mm Zoom Lens36 - 126 mm
    Digital Zoom4x
    Focus Range12 in. to Infinity (w) / 28 in. to Infinity (t)
    Macro Focus Range1.6 in. to Infinity (w) / 16 in. to Infinity (t)
    Image Resolutions640 x 480 • 2592 x 1944 • 2048 x 1536 • 1280 x 960 • 1024 x 768 • 3648 x 2736 • 3648 x 2432 • 3648 x 2052
    Video Resolutions320 x 240 (QVGA) • 640 x 480 (VGA) • 160 x 120
    Video Speed30 fps
    Aperture Rangef5.3 (w) - f2.7 (w)
    Memory TypeBuilt-in • SD Card
    ViewfinderOptical
    Interface TypeUSB
    Battery TypeRechargeable Li-Ion Battery
    Battery Life250 Images
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS X • Microsoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition • Microsoft Windows XP Professional • Microsoft Windows Vista
    Warranty2 Years
    Exterior ColorBlack
    Included AccessoriesSoftware • USB Cable • Video Cable • Lithium Battery • Battery Charger • Strap
    Release DateMarch, 2007
    MPNCOOLPIXP5000

High performance and outstanding image quality are the hallmarks of the COOLPIX P5000. With 10.0 megapixel resolution, you’ll have the power to capture the finest details, perform creative cropping and produce beautiful enlargements. The COOLPIX P5000 incorporates 3.5x optical zoom capability and a 36-126mm Zoom-Nikkor lens (35mm equivalent) for tight compositions or zooming out to capture sweeping vistas.

Submitted by Bob Todrick a Expert

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2007

Strengths:    Size
Manual control
Low light capability
Build quality
Ease of use
Images are upto snuff

Weaknesses:    The only weakness I can see is the lack of RAW capability. I don't really need it so it doesn't bother me personally.

Bottom Line:
I've been searching for a number of years now for a color camera (digital) to supplemant my Leica CM. My requirements were minimal lag time (I do a lot of documentary work), a 'real' manual operation (not exposure compensation), low light capability, ruggedness and an easy to use menu...I'm a luddite and pride myself on not being a computer expert.
The P5000 does exactly as I require. It's lag time, especially with the flash shut off is minimal. It gives excellent prints, both in color and in the B&W mode...I've printed 8x10 that are as good as I can get in the darkroom.
So far the highes ISO setting I've used is 800, but at that setting the noise was minimal...no worse than what grain would look like with 800ISO film.
The big thing for me however was its ease of use. I've owned a couple of digitals in the past...an early Agfa and a Minolta Z5. Both of them required extensive time with their manuals to understand the funtions of the menus on the cameras.
The day I arrived home with the P5000 I had it out of the box, converted to a high ISO setting, in B&W mode, on manual control...all with in minutes after a quick look at the manual. Within 30 minutes I was downloading an image to see how it looked as a print.
So far I'm very impressed.