Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 8 to 10 Megapixel | Nikon

Family LineNikon COOLPIX
    Interchangeable LensNot Interchangeable Lenses
    35mm Zoom Lens36 - 180 mm
    Digital Zoom4x
    Focus Range13.78 in. to Infinity (w)
    Macro Focus Range3.94 in. to Infinity (w)
    Focal Length6.3 - 31.5 mm
    Image Resolutions640 x 480 • 2592 x 1944 • 2048 x 1536 • 1024 x 768 • 1920 x 1080 • 3648 x 2736
    Video Resolutions640 x 480 (VGA) • 160 x 120 • 320 x 240
    Video Speed30 fps
    Video FormatAVI
    Aperture Rangef3.3/f5.6 (w/t)
    Shutter Speed1/2000 - 4 sec
    White BalanceAuto • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Cloudy (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Incandescent (Preset) • Tungsten (Preset) • Flash (Preset)
    Frames Per Second1 Frames
    Memory TypeBuilt-in • Multimedia Card • SD Card • SDHC Card
    Built-in Memory Size50 MB
    Compression ModesNormal
    Compression TypeJPEG • DPOF • EXIF 2.21 • DCF 2.0
    ISO SpeedsAuto • 100 • 200 • 400 • 800 • 1600 • 64 • 2000
    Flash TypeBuilt-In
    Flash FunctionsFlash Off • Auto Flash • Fill-in Flash • Red-eye Reduction Flash • Slow Sync
    ViewfinderWithout Viewfinder
    Interface TypeUSB 2.0
    Battery TypeRechargeable Li-Ion Battery
    Battery Life200 Images
    Self Timer2 Sec. • 10 Sec.
    Tripod MountWith Tripod Mount
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS X • Microsoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows XP • Microsoft Windows Vista
    Included AccessoriesSoftware • USB Cable • Driver • Lithium Battery • Battery Charger • Strap • AV Cable
    UPC718122203925

10.0 Megapixels, 5x Optical Zoom-NIKKOR Glass Lens, Electronic VR Image Stabilization, Incredible, Bright 2.5-inch High Resolution LCD, Auto adjusts up to ISO 2000, In-Camera Red-Eye Fix, Face-Priority AF, D-Lighting and an All New, Stylish, All-Metal Design slips right into your shirt pocket or purse!

Submitted by denny purtee a Expert

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2008

Strengths:    It's a good quiet camera that fits in a shirt pocket. the photos are sharp.
I use mine when I don't want to carry my DSLR with me . I also carry it with my DSLR as a backup. lots of modes and adjustments.

Weaknesses:    wish it would use standard batteries. I use just a few of the different modes.
had to carry the manual with me the first few times.

Bottom Line:
I needed a small camera to travel with and be able to take photos of people, places, and objects. Some times there is a story on the way to a story.
So I can use my mane camera for the mane story and my small pocket camera for other events.

Purchased At:   Meijer inc

Similar Products Used:   I used film cameras about the same size. I like the digital ones better.

Submitted by icespur a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2008

Strengths:    Small Size. If you like the soft focus effect no need to use PhotoShop with this camera

Weaknesses:    Pictures are not sharp and the color saturation is not is not up to the standards of most digital s on the market. I have never used face recognition technology before, therefore I cannot compare this feature to other cameras. Basically it picks out the brightest point in the picture and uses that for the metering & focus point. One strange thing about the camera is the offering of a party mode which blurs and streaks the pictures. I have to wonder if Nikon is outsourcing the design and manufacture of their consumer cameras; definitely not up to Nikon standards..

Bottom Line:
Nikon missed the boat on this one. I use a Canon Digital Rebel and I bought this camera to replace my wife's Canon A540 with a broken LCD screen. The first thing she noticed was the pictures were not sharp. If you don't set the ISO to high when taking pictures of people indoors the background will be substantially underexposed. I tried to set the camera up so all she has to do is press the shutter, and she was able to get decent exposures, however the pictures just don't come close to pictures taken with a Canon. Her old PowerShot S330 with 2 Mega Pixels actually takes better pictures.

She uses the pictures mainly for making photo books of the grand kids, so I have to run the pictures through Focus Magic to clean them up. With the PS A540 Focus Magic does not indicate any adjust is necessary. With the Nikon it indicates an out of focus of 2 pixels. Looks like I will soon be buying a replacement for this one.

Purchased At:   ABE's online