Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 8 to 10 Megapixel | Olympus

2.58/5 (19 Reviews)

• MPNN3115092
    Memory TypeBuilt-in • xD Picture Card
    Battery TypeRechargeable Li-Ion Battery
    Included AccessoriesSoftware • USB Cable • Hand Strap • Lithium Battery • Battery Charger • Strap • AV Cable
    Release DateMarch, 2008
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS X • Microsoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows XP • Microsoft Windows Vista
    Optical Zoom3.6x
    ISO SpeedsAuto • 100 • 200 • 400 • 800 • 1600 • 80
    ViewfinderWithout Viewfinder
    Interface TypeUSB 2.0
    Self Timer12 Sec.
    Video Resolutions320 x 240 • 640 x 480 (VGA)
    Flash TypeBuilt-In
    White BalanceAuto • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Tungsten (Preset) • Overcast (Preset)
    Video FormatAVI • Motion JPEG
    Frames Per Second5.2 Frames
    Compression TypeEXIF 2.2 • DCF • DPOF
    35mm Zoom Lens28 - 102 mm
    Focal Length5 - 18.2 mm
    Image Resolutions640 x 480 • 2560 x 1920 • 2304 x 1728 • 2048 x 1536 • 1600 x 1200 • 1280 x 960 • 1920 x 1080 • 3648 x 2736
    Focus Range19.68 in. to Infinity (w) / 19.68 in. to Infinity (t)
    Flash FunctionsFlash Off • Auto Flash • Fill-in Flash • Red-eye Reduction Flash
    Macro Focus Range3.94 in. to Infinity (w) / 11.81 in. to Infinity (t)

The Stylus 1030 SW is one tough camera. The Shockproof, Waterproof, Freezeproof and Dustproof design gives active people the confidence to take this camera anywhere and shoot in nearly any condition. Plus, the wide-angle lens lets users capture more of what they see. Great for divers, surfers, rafters, skiers and anyone with an active lifestyle.

Read The Complete Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Pro Review >>

The Olympus Stylus 1030 SW is the latest top-of-the-line offering in the Olympus Stylus SW waterproof and shockproof digital camera line. Olympus has made a lot of improvements to the Stylus SW cameras since we reviewed the original 720 SW. Most obvious is the increased 10-megapixel resolution. The 1030 SW is also waterproof to 33 feet, can withstand drops of over 6 feet, and is crushproof and freezeproof. The wide, 3.6x optical zoom lens has a focal range of 28-102mm (35mm equivalent). Composing and image playback are done with a 2.7-inch HyperCrystal II LCD display.

Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Review Contents:

Olympus Stylus 1030 SW - front and back

Read The Complete Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Pro Review >>

Submitted by Rob a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2011

Strengths:    Tough as nails and can attest to the 33 feet depth in water. Simple to use. Macro led light comes in handy as well. Compact and easy to carry around.

Put it in your pocket and go camera, water, snow, dust, sand or occational oops it will work.

Weaknesses:    Zoom is basically useless. So if you want to take photos far away get a different camera.

You have to use XD cards for all the camera features to work. Bad Olypus.

The modes list is difficult to navigate and you have to remember to slect ok before the camera will allow shooting. Not so handy when your in a hurry.

Low light result not great but with some practice and playing with functions pertty good.

Bottom Line:
I have owned my Olympus SW 1030 for several years, I think it is 5 years old now. I have used on numerous vacations to Mexico and a number of local hiking trips. It still works perfectly and besides the decrotive lens bezel falling off have had no issues.

I love this camera, I take it to the beach, go swiming with it, snorkling with it, in the pool and in high humidity. It takes nice pics but as with most of these rugged point and shoots it is not perfect. Underwater pics are good but the more light the better. The underwater movie function is excellent as well.

I have taken photos in excess of the 33 feet depth, snorkling with no ill effects.

I like some of the added features like the macro with led light.

If you are a vacationer who likes to be spontaneous, like jump into a cenote U need one. I never worry about water, dust or being rough with this camera.

I am looking at purchasing a new one to upgrade some features.

Purchased At:   computraksystems

Submitted by sava2tth a Casual

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2011

Strengths:    Has nice options setting. Point and shoot

Weaknesses:    don't use it underwater ......risk of not having a camera to use!splash proof thats about it. Camera is on the heavy side for being so compact.Picture quality fair!

Bottom Line:
This camera has been ...lets just say a disappointment. First time of underwater use (snorkeling) water leaked in and shorted out camera. sent in in since it had only been less than 6 mths ...they reconditioned it and sent it back. 2 yrs later was snorkling again and again seals failed. Lost alot of photos opportunities. And also want to add underwater photos not very good. Sent it back to the company the told us that they no longer had parts to repair it and wanted to sell us thier latest camera. And informed us that you need to send in your camera to have seals redone at a cost 39.90 each time to maintain your camera.Come on Olympus that is rediculous!!!!! Can't even get a repair on a camera thats 4 yrs old. I will not recommed this camera to anyone in seach of what they call a underwater camera. Seriously!!!!!!!

Purchased At:   on-line through Olym

Submitted by Steve a Casual

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2011

Strengths:    Great for skiing, river rafting and snorkeling

Weaknesses:    Leaks. Bad quality indoors and average light.

Bottom Line:
Incredible underwater photos! Below average picture quality in most other settings. Handled with care, leaked after 4th trip...not worth it!

Purchased At:   Amazon

Submitted by Stuart Briggs a Casual

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2010

Bottom Line:
This is a very positive review...be warned

I purchased my Olympus SW1030 (for around AUD400 - sorry I can't remember) about 18months ago. I needed it to take pictures during my outdoor lifestyle in AK and while riding a bike across Africa. I have also since used it doing an Alpen Crossing, dolomites wandering and hiking through Turkey.

I have crashed on my bike and physically landed on my camera, I have dropped it a metre or more (while falling myself) and have clumsily dropped it. While riding through Africa it was in the outer non-waterproof pocket of my camel back for easy access, and, yes it does rain hard in Africa!!

Needless to say that I don't take my camera underwater anymore for fear I have now ruptured any seal, (there is visible physical damage to the casing) but it still takes all the pictures I need. It has plenty of functions and I experiment with them all in different conditions. I will admit that the pics are not as crisp as some point and shoots I have seen, and not as cheap, but I wouldn't bet a dollar on other cameras handling the same abuse.

I am looking for a new camera now (I am mving to warmer climes and anticipate diving) and am looking to the 1050SW. I believe that says it all. Thanks

Submitted by Kevin a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2010

Strengths:    works under all adverse conditions

Weaknesses:    picture quality

Bottom Line:
I hate anything that doesn't work especially when I pay a lot for it. I am writing this as a service to anyone who needs a rugged camera. Buy the olympus, it works as advertized. It takes pictures in salt water, fresh water and in freezing conditions. I've backpacked it from coast to coast and it has never failed to work just fine. It probably doesn't have the image quality you might want in a digital camera but it takes great pictures in conditions that it is designed to work under.

Purchased At:   online