Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 8 to 10 Megapixel | Olympus

Camera TypeCompact
    Interchangeable LensNot Interchangeable Lenses
    35mm Zoom Lens38 - 114 mm
    Digital Zoom5x
    Focus Range19.68 in. to Infinity (w) / 19.68 in. to Infinity (t)
    Macro Focus Range7.87 in. to Infinity (w) / 11.81 in. to Infinity (t)
    Focal Length6.7 - 20.1 mm
    Image Resolutions640 x 480 • 2560 x 1920 • 2048 x 1536 • 1600 x 1200 • 1280 x 960 • 1920 x 1080 • 3648 x 2736
    Video Resolutions640 x 480 (VGA) • 320 x 240
    Video Speed30 fps
    Max Movie LengthWithout Limit (Depends on the camera free memory size)
    Video FormatAVI • Motion JPEG
    Aperture Rangef3.5/f5 (w/t)
    Shutter Speed1/4 - 1/1000 sec
    White BalanceAuto • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Tungsten (Preset) • Overcast (Preset)
    Frames Per Second5.4 Frames
    Interface TypeUSB 2.0
    Battery TypeRechargeable Li-Ion Battery
    Battery Life200 Images
    Self Timer12 Sec.
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS X • Microsoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows XP • Microsoft Windows Vista
    Included AccessoriesSoftware • USB Cable • Hand Strap • AV Cable • Li-Ion Rechargable Battery
    Release DateSeptember, 2008

Beneath its elegant exterior, the Stylus 1050 SW is Shockproof, Waterproof, Freezeproof and overall Lifeproof. Plus it’s loaded with breakthrough features like Tap Control that lets you operate the camera simply by tapping it. Great for extremely cold temperatures where gloves are a must. Rugged metal body and revolutionary shock-absorbing construction are designed to withstand a 5-foot drop, bump, or other mishap. A revolutionary system of waterproof seals and gaskets keeps water out so you can take pictures as deep as 10 feet underwater. Boldly enter that winter wonderland without worrying about your camera. The Stylus 1050 SW is winterized to perform at below-freezing temperatures.

Read The Complete Olympus Stylus 1050 SW Pro Review >>

I’ve been using the Olympus Stylus 1050 SW for a few months now. It’s a 10-megapixel pocket-sized point-and-shoot that’s also waterproof and shockproof, making it a great outdoor camera. It was also the first digital camera to feature Tap Control, which allows you to access a few camera features simply by tapping on the camera. This is supposed to make the camera easier to use for people who are wearing gloves - snowboarders, skiers, cyclists, etc.

Olympus Stylus 1050 SW Review Contents:

Olympus Stylus 1050 SW - front and back

Read The Complete Olympus Stylus 1050 SW Pro Review >>

Submitted by mjhicks a Casual

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2010

Strengths:    Good pics, easy menus, can go virtually anywhere I want to take it.

Weaknesses:    Sliding lens cover protects lens, but can cause issues if not kept perfectly clean at all times.

Bottom Line:
This was out third waterproof point and shoot camera. The first one (a Pentax Optio) is somewhere being scrubbed by the sand of Lake Michigan, and apparently some one wanted the second one (an Olympus Stylus SW720) more than we did. This one, (the Stylus SW1050) was also stolen along with my wife's purse. We seem to have bad luck in that respect with these cameras! That being said, if you are going to use your camera in a lake or the ocean, be sure the strap is adjustable so that it fits tightly around your wrist, ot but one of the floatation devices available for these cameras. All three cameras took decent pictures, but the 1050 did take the best ones. Its response time was acceptable, and the menus were very intuitive.
We had a couple of minor problems with it, we got sand or something in the lens cover mechanism and had to send it back for repair. Also, my daughter took it on a trip to Hawaii, took wonderful pictures, but must have gotten a grain of sand on the lens and scratched it when the lens cover closed. Oh well. Just make sure the camera is clean of any debris when you turn it on or off, and keep that in mind if looking at one with a sliding lens cover.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Similar Products Used:   Pentax Optio P10 (I think that was the model)
Olympus Stylus SW720

Submitted by JerryK82 a Expert

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2009

Strengths:    - Waterproof and shock resistant

Weaknesses:    - Painfully slow
- Sliding face plate
- Too many preparatory items
- Only record video for only a few seconds and cannot use the in camera panoramic feature with microSD adapter
- Loose megapixels while shooting in 3:2 ratio

Bottom Line:
As a semi professional photographer, I am extremely disappointed with the Stylus 1050 SW. For a camera that is supposed to be used in active conditions it is painfully slow to auto focus and has major shutter lag. I bought it because some days I don't feel like lugging my DSLR and a bunch of lenses mountain biking and snowboarding.

A major issue is that the sliding face plate turns the camera on while in your pocket; killing your battery, even when you have the auto turn off feature on. Also, I never had an accurate reading from the battery meter. And had my camera die on me in the middle of the day. So, I have to make sure I charge the battery every evening.

Olympus uses too many preparatory items on the camera. The port to transfer files is not a mini USB so that is one more cable you'll need to carry and make sure you don't loose. XD cards are only used in Olympus and Fujifilm cameras. So, most media card readers do not have a XD card slot. If you use the microSD adapter, you can only record video for only a few seconds and you cannot use the in camera panoramic feature. Another, reason not to buy.

The image dimensions are pretty limited. I shoot 3:2 ratio (standard 35mm size). To shoot in this ratio with the Stylus I have to loose megapixels. So, I shoot in 4:3 and crop in post to maximize image quality. Another annoyance.

This camera is an expensive paper weight me. If you are some what serious about photography don't even think about this camera and I wouldn't even recommend this camera to a novice. Save your money and buy something else.

Purchased At:   Costco

Submitted by gmaheu a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2009

Strengths:    Small compact size. On/Off slider is nice feature.

Weaknesses:    Not as durable as they claim

Bottom Line:
Not even close to what its cracked up to be. Was dissapointed that after 29 days my camera picked up this ugly black spot that showed up on all images and video. Was an internal problem that needed to be fixed at the factory. I sent it in and was told that I would need to pay for the repair even though the camera was less than a month old. Very unhappy. Will not purchase Olympus products in the future.

Purchased At:   hogosalesshop

Submitted by evansdave a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2009

Strengths:    The two features I appreciated most were the bright, large display screen and the thin physical profile of the camera. In bright sunlight most cameras will take a decent picture: the challenge is seeing (on the screen) what you are shooting when ambient light levels are very high. On this camera, it was easy. I am just over 50, so anything that makes it easier for me to see things clearly is appreciated!

Equally, the camera was fairly simple. For the most part it was point and shoot, and the images it produced looked great. Color correction, important for high-altitude shooting, was easily accomplished. Standard control were easily accessible through the hardware (button) interface.

As a test, we tossed the camera in a snowbank: The black body made it easy to find. We blew the snow off the lens, let it dry for a minute and were back in business. In real-life, this happens.

Weaknesses:    Ironically, one of the features that attracted me to this camera turned out to pose a challenge. The 1050SW has a slide-open case: This seems like a great idea as is keeps snow and other stuff off the lens. However, with gloves, a jacket, etc. it is very easy (too easy) to inadvertently "open" the camera (thereby turning it on) when slipping it into your pocket. More often than not, when I took the camera out of my ski shell the cover was already open.

The other issue that I had was the tapping and the menus. I've SLRs for years: If I want complexity I know where to find it! In a camera like this one, and for this specific application, I want simplicity. Being able to set preferences in advance of course helps, but I still occasionally found myself is a menu or facing a choice that I neither needed nor consciously asked for.

Finally--and this is perhaps a nit related to gloved sports (like skiing) -- a hand-held remote or bulb that could slipped inside your glove would be an awesome add-on. Imagine a ring or similar device that when "squeezed" would trip the shutter. With that, I could pull out camera--in my gloved hand--aim, and shoot. In sports like skiing, the less time spent futzing with gloves the better: it's just too easy to drop your gear. That's a story for another day, but believe me when I say we tested that too.

Bottom Line:
Overall I really liked this camera. I got to try this as part of the 2009 Tahoe Snowcial, hosted at Heavenly Valley in Lake Tahoe. The weather was incredible--full sun, lots of (highly reflective) snow and plenty of action and stunning scenery. I have been using a slightly larger and older Nikon pocket camera so this is my basis for comparison. We were part of a photo scaveger hunt organized by the Reno-based marketing firms Twelve Horses and Boot Leg Courier. We definitely put this camera through its paces.

Purchased At:   Provided as Demo for