Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 8 to 10 Megapixel | Olympus

Family LineOlympus Stylus
    Interchangeable LensNot Interchangeable Lenses
    35mm Zoom Lens38 - 114 mm
    Digital Zoom5x
    Focus Range19.7 in. to Infinity (w) / 19.7 in. to Infinity (t)
    Macro Focus Range2.76 - 19.68 in. (w) / 11.81 in. to Infinity (t)
    Focal Length6.7 - 20.1 mm
    Camera Resolution8 Megapixel
    Image Resolutions640 x 480 • 3264 x 2448 • 2560 x 1920 • 2048 x 1536 • 1600 x 1200 • 1280 x 960 • 1920 x 1080
    Video Resolutions640 x 480 (VGA) • 320 x 240
    Video Speed30 fps
    Video FormatAVI • Motion JPEG
    Aperture Rangef3.5/f5 (w/t)
    Shutter Speed1/4 - 1/1000 sec
    White BalanceAuto • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Tungsten (Preset) • Overcast (Preset)
    Frames Per Second6.9 Frames
    Interface TypeUSB 2.0
    Battery TypeRechargeable Li-Ion Battery
    Battery Life190 Images
    Self Timer12 Sec.
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS X • Microsoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows XP • Microsoft Windows Vista
    Included AccessoriesSoftware • USB Cable • Video Cable • Driver • Lithium Battery • Strap • Audio Cable
    UPC50332162655

Tough enough for everyday life. The Stylus 850 SW is designed for active people who want a tough camera that can keep up with their on-the-go lifestyles. Incredibly durable, sleek and stylish, the Stylus 850 SW is a must-have vacation and party accessory.

Submitted by nayolympus a Beginner

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2011

Strengths:    I really did enjoy the landscape feature and the use of making a calendar. I don't know if that is a common feature with most cameras these days

Weaknesses:    From the very first day I've had problems when taking photos at night time. It takes a long time for the camera to actually take the photo which is a bad thing when you've asked someone else to take a photo of yourself and they expect the camera to behave like most. Just in general it seems to be slower than most cameras.

Bottom Line:
I an Olympus Tough for the days when work takes me away to the Great Barrier Reef and the outer islands. So far the boths times that I have really wanted to use it underwater the battery casing has taken on water. The first time I sent it back as it was under warranty and they offered no real warranty period after it was repaired and warranty was almost expired. Now the second time I tried to use it the same problem happened to me again. Due to the salt in the ocean it will now be totally unrepairable

Purchased At:   JB HiFi

Similar Products Used:   Camera previous to this was a Sony but wasn't waterproof or shockproof

Submitted by Jonathan Edge a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2011

Strengths:    Robust construction.

It just lived in my pocket with no issues and was ready for use faster and easier and much better than a phone camera.

Battery life was perfectly acceptable.

Picture quality is good.

Easy to use (single handed)

It just worked and never missed a beat.

Weaknesses:
Shutter lag is not up there with the newest ones so you may struggle to get the dolphins (though the record a short video starting 2 seconds ago worked)

The lens is recessed so when it has snow, salt spray or even rain on it, it can be fiddly to clean whilst skiing or whatever you are up to.

As with all compact lens cameras it did not perform well in low light but was certainly not bad.

Bottom Line:
This was my pocket camera for over a year. I only stopped using it because I gave it away and really miss it. I replaced it with a Sony TX5 which though more shiny, I did not prefer.

This is a rugged little camera - it does not leak unless there is dirt or hairs in the seal (like any wp camera or housing)

The pictures are perfectly acceptable for all but fine portraits etc.
It can be used single handed (great for skiing, climbing etc)

I would buy another and probably will now my sony was stolen.

Purchased At:   Jessops

Similar Products Used:   Sony TX5

Submitted by bean02 a Casual

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2011

Strengths:    Able to go underwater.
Durable - dropped several times with no damage.
Good quality pictures.
Many scene options to pick from.
Rechargeable battery.

Weaknesses:    Low-light and night shots aren't great quality.
Menu isn't great, and unneeded buttons.

Bottom Line:
I have had this camera for just over 2 years. The thing I loved most about it was the fact that it could be used underwater! The picture quality underwater were pretty good. Portrait shots are good as well, but low-light photos aren't very good, and night shots are pretty grainy. I recently took this camera on a trip to Cuba, and used it all the time in the pool. While using it it all of sudden stopped working, so now it's broken. I think water must have gotten into it, though it wasn't taken deeper than instructed. This really disappointed me, but up until then I had no problems.

Submitted by julie m a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2010

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    see above

Bottom Line:
I bought this camera to specifically take on a snorkeling trip to Hawaii.
The second day I used it, the LCD screen fogged up. Fortunately it was under warranty-- and was sent in for repair. It was returned with a note to "make sure I keep the camera closed while underwater". Duh.
Unfortunately, I was in Hawaii for a week and wasn't able to take pictures of all of the cool stuff I was seeing while snorkeling.

The next time I used this camera was several months later, again on a snorkeling trip to honduras. Guess what, on DAY ONE it again stopped working. Of course, now it is out of warranty and they want me to pay an astronomical sum to fix it. Now, given that I shelled out a fair amount of money for this camera in the first place, and it has FAILED me every time I tried to use it in the water----- why oh why would I bother to pay to fix it again???

Olympus customer service= not helpful.

Save your money and get something else. This one is not worth it.
Interestingly enough-- we ran into another person while on vacation that had the same thing happen to their camera (the same camera.)
hmmm...

Similar Products Used:   I have owned many cameras and this was BY FAR my worst purchase.
Maybe I will stick with canon in the future ---although I haven't tried their waterproof one.

Submitted by LMM a Casual

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2010

Strengths:    Underwater and daylight shots.

Bottom Line:
I am not a photographer by trade or hobby. I simply like to capture the important (and not-so-important) events in my life. I bought the Olympus Stylus 850SW shock and waterproof camera about 2 years ago prior to a family trip to Walt Disney World. I am constantly surprised and pleased with how my pictures turn out. I think this camera takes wonderful underwater shots in pools (it has been used countless times in my backyard pool and has been tested at well-known water parks) and awfully good shots out of water. It also captured the aftermath of copious amounts of snowfall (and the subsequent digging-out).

I think my only complaint is that in "auto" flash mode, I end up with a lot of red-eye in my subjects, but those are easily fixed with most computer programs. I also never figured out all of the scene settings, and could probably be getting better pictures in certain circumstances if I knew what setting to put the camera on. Overall, I have had the most success with daylight and underwater photos. Recently, the camera stopped working in video camera mode, and it goes on the fritz a bit if you try to use the video setting (screen goes funny, etc.). Returning it to still camera mode and turning it off and on seems to make it able to take pictures again. I don't know if the malfunctioning video is a result of water getting inside the camera, or if it is due to the many falls the camera has taken (or is completely unrelated to either). I will say that I have not been at all careful with the camera and I have put it to the test in circumstances in which I would never have considered bringing a regular camera. The beauty of a digital camera is that you can just keep shooting and get rid of the photos that don't come out (although those are few and far between).

I am considering getting a new waterproof camera, but will likely wait until I have completely killed this one. When I do go shopping again, I will definitely consider getting an Olympus again. I have been thoroughly satisfied with my 850 SW, and often have been pleasantly surprised by its output. It has beautifully captured some really wonderful moments in my life.

The 850 SW is simple to use, and a great camera for the casual photographer. My teenagers take it out to the pool often and my 5 year-old nephew was able to use it without me worrying about whether he would break it. It is a great camera to just throw in your pocket and take with you, wherever you are heading. Bring on the rain, the snow, the amusement park rides, and the deep end of the pool. The 850 can handle them all!