Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 8 to 10 Megapixel | Olympus

Interchangeable LensInterchangeable Lenses
    Camera Resolution10 Megapixel
    ISO Speeds50 • 100 • 200 • 400 • 800 • 1600
    Self Timer12 Sec.
    White BalanceAuto • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Tungsten (Preset) • Overcast (Preset)
    Video FormatAVI • Motion JPEG
    Family LineOlympus Stylus
    Built-in Memory Size42 MB
    Resolution10 Megapixel
    Shutter Speed1/4 - 1/2000 sec
    Digital Zoom5x
    Camera TypeCompact

Whatever your family’s idea of adventure, the Stylus Tough-6000 is ready for action. Anytime, everywhere. So durable, it’s even shockproof up to 5 feet -- extra protection against accidental drops and rough handling. Life can be tough, this camera is tougher. Rugged metal body and revolutionary shock-absorbing construction are designed to withstand a 5-foot drop, bump, or other mishap. A revolutionary system of waterproof seals and gaskets keeps water out so you can take pictures as deep as 10 feet underwater. Boldly enter that winter wonderland without worrying about your camera. The Stylus Tough-6000 is winterized to perform at below-freezing temperatures. Operate picture playback, shadow adjustment and flash mode just by tapping the top, back and sides of the camera. Ideal for underwater use, wearing gloves or other situations where traditional buttons may be impossible to use.

Submitted by John a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2011

Strengths:    Strength. Durability,
Never question whether to bring it along!

Weaknesses:    Low light w/o a flash.
Charging the battery. It must be removed from the camera to charg in a seperated charger.

Bottom Line:
I loved the Camera. Used it for Kayaking, skiing and all general uses too. I was very happy with the picture quality except Low light w/o flash.
Very well built. The camera fell off of my motorcycle in its lightly padded case onto concret at about 40 mph, I don't think it was run over. Aside from some road rash on the case have been NO issues and I have used it almost a year since. It was not in the case when I retreived it.
I gave that camera to my daughter and I am buying the 8010 for me.

Submitted by mattbikeboy a Professional

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2011

Strengths:    •Small
•Waterproof -- fun for pool and lake shooting, but you'd better have a model that can hold still!
•Tough
•Good image quality when objects aren't moving

Weaknesses:    •SLOW!!!!!!!
•Everything about this camera is slow, even when shoot mode has been changed to Sport
•Buttons are small and unusable when wearing gloves
•Did I mention Slow!!!!!

Bottom Line:
I bought this camera for my wife to replace our aging Olympus 5060 Widezoom (she loves the 5060). I wanted a rugged camera for her since she has been known to drop electronics in bodies of water of various sizes (pools, ponds, oceans, etc). The problem is that she hates this Stylus Tough -- it's too slow to catch the ever moving kids.

I am also annoyed by its lack of focus, shutter actuation and write speed, but it does get decent photos when you catch the subject and it's not moving. I have vowed to figure out how to get better action shots with it when I go riding with my buddies and don't want to carry a DSLR.

Purchased At:   Costco

Similar Products Used:   Various Point and Shooters from Olympus and Canon and my Pro Level Nikon DSLRs.

Stylus tough -6000?

HI, I recently decided to get Stylus tough -6000 point and shoot to carry around for photo opportunities when I cannot or don’t feel like carrying around my large DSLR camera. My issue has to do with image orientation upon image importing from the camera to the computer. All of my images that are s ... Read More »