Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | 8 to 10 Megapixel | Pentax

Interchangeable LensNot Interchangeable Lenses
    35mm Zoom Lens28 - 140 mm
    Digital Zoom5.7x
    Focus TypeAutofocus & Manual Focus
    Focus Range19.68 in. to Infinity (w)
    Macro Focus Range0.36 - 11.76 in. (w) / 3.96 - 23.64 in. (t)
    Focal Length5 - 25 mm
    Image Resolutions640 x 480 • 2592 x 1944 • 2048 x 1536 • 1024 x 768 • 3072 x 2304 • 3648 x 2736
    Video Resolutions320 x 240 (QVGA) • 640 x 480 (VGA) • 1280 x 720
    Video FormatAVI • Motion JPEG
    Aperture Rangef3.5/f5.5 (w/t)
    Shutter Speed1/4 - 1/1500 sec
    White BalanceAuto • Manual • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Tungsten (Preset) • Shade (Preset)
    Frames Per Second3.6 Frames
    ViewfinderWithout Viewfinder
    Interface TypeUSB 2.0
    Battery TypeRechargeable Li-Ion Battery
    Battery Life205 Images
    Self Timer2 Sec. • 10 Sec.
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS X • Microsoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows XP • Microsoft Windows Vista
    Depth1 in.
    Included AccessoriesSoftware • USB Cable • Lithium Battery • Battery Charger • Strap • AC Power Cord • AV Cable
    Release Date2008

Waterproof Optio W60 Shoots Deeper And At Colder Temps. Take your Pentax Optio W60 to new extremes. With 10 megapixels and a 5X internal zoom, this waterproof Optio shoots deeper, wider and at colder temps. A new design allows the Optio W60 to operate up to 13 feet underwater for two hours and at extreme temperatures well below freezing. Perfect for photography in adventurous settings, the Optio W60 captures a wide variety of scenes including expansive landscapes, architecture, and group photos in confined spaces as well as close-up telephoto shots. Available in Ocean Blue or Silver, the Optio W60 also feature High-Quality Movie mode, Face Recognition, Smile Capture, and Blink Detection.

Submitted by Randy a Casual

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2010

Strengths:    I have not had to worry about keeping it dry or dust free. It has survived being left in a car in 90 degree weather with the window rolled up for 8hrs. As well as being sat on, dropped from small heights, set down on counters & rocks none to gently. Like the post office it has delivered no matter, rain, snow or shine. I've never had to decide on IF to take the camera with me because of where I was going, the weather or what I was doing. Though I did take it out of my pocket and set it with everything else (phone, keys, etc...) when playing football with my sons at a family party.

The length of the video is limited to the space on your SD card and battery life.

The 5X optical zoom is great compared to most point and shoot cameras that only have a 3X.

Weaknesses:    I don't like the fact that I can not zoom in and out when taking video. You have to set the depth to where you want it and then start taking the video.

I do not use the High def video due to the low frame rate.

I'm afraid to use it underwater due to other reviews of it not to survive this as well as the reviews of poor customer service after having problems. Though I do imagine this is mostly due to, you get one good customer review per 20 bad reviews. People tend to be more vocal when they feel slighted.

I would like to have a view finder and an lcd I could set to the default of being off and turn it on or off via a dedicated button to conserve battery life. Haven't been able to find any "rugged" camera that has this feature.

Have had trouble taking shots at night and low light conditions. Trying different settings have given a multitude of results. Low light, the best seems to be the sports setting with the flash turned off. Night time you have to get close (within 15') for the flash to work or if it's a moon shot, turn the flash off and stabilize it on a walking stick or something of that nature. Plan on taking 5-10 pictures to get a keeper. Might be my own inadequacies as I am not a pro taking pictures by any means.

I haven't found a reset to default settings after accidentally adjusting some settings I know nothing about.

Bottom Line:
This was my first "Rugged / waterproof" camera. I purchased this camera specifically for using when camping/ hiking/ canoeing. I purchased extra batteries, protective skin case (PESOW60C), LCD Invisible Shield, Floating wrist strap, and 2 crucial 8Gb memory cards in June of 09.

I tried it at home a little bit to familiarize myself with it. Then it went on a 12 day backpacking trip at Philmont Scout Camp in New Mexico. I took over 900 pictures on that trip using both memory cards, switching them at lunch time each day so if one died I'd still have half of my pictures. I went through 10 batteries over the course of the trip. I did not spend a lot of time reviewing the pictures on the trip, just taking them. I especially liked the fact I could turn it on, focus, take a picture and turn it off again in a matter of seconds. This comes in handy when hiking with 10 other people that you don't want to hold up to take pictures. I was also able to take twice as many pictures as other people in the same amount of time when having people stop in front of scenery for a "Kodak moment". This allowed me to pick out the best photo's after the trip to distribute. Some of the pictures I had enlarged to poster size, framed and hung up. One of which I cropped out 80% and blew up only the 20% to a 20" x 30" poster with no blurring or visible pixel's.

I now carry this camera with me about 75% of the time on a daily basis. It's nice to have, to take that quick picture of wildlife or the license plate of that guy that just cut you off.

I did not buy this camera for underwater use and have not tried it due to other reviews. I did buy it so I wouldn't have to worry about it in my pocket or taking a picture in the middle of a down pour. It has survived many rain storms. Splashes of river water when canoeing as well as snowballs being thrown at it. I have also had to rinse it off in the sink a few times. It has had no ill effects from this so far.

This camera is mostly used in Michigan, so it has seen a multitude of weather varieties. I haven't had to wait the 15 minutes or travel the 5 miles for a change in the weather just to take a picture.

Purchased At:   JR.com

Similar Products Used:   I have used about 5 other $200 - $300 digital cameras. None of them being "Rugged" or waterproof. Most have not made it past a couple of camping trips. One would think I would have gotten a rugged camera a lot sooner.

Waterproof disposable cameras have been the closest to the ruggedness of this camera but can not compare to the picture quality, quantity, nor take video. Not to mention the cost.

I have a Kodak camera with a 10X optical zoom that I really enjoy being able to zoom in at the kids functions while up in the stands. Tho it is about 5yrs old now and in need of being replaced.

Submitted by bitflogger a Expert

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2010

Strengths:    Macro shots, form factor and image quality compared to its peers.

Weaknesses:    Weaknesses are not at the camera as much as the type. One needs to know the modes and watch the ISO settings. I limit ISO at 400 and use green button mode to go higher in a hurry to make sure I don't have too much grain. Battery life is not great.

Bottom Line:
This has been a great camera. Small and has stood up to dirt, water and had use. The optional rubber skin helps.

Similar Products Used:   Olympus.

Submitted by dls619 a Casual

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2009

Strengths:    Takes good quality pictures
Small size
Long battery life
Nice screen size
Decent price

Weaknesses:    Not waterproof! Need I say more?

Bottom Line:
I liked the camera at first. No problem with light water contact. Took the camera on a river rafting trip and it stopped working after the first day rafting. Let it dry out (saw signs of water on the batter) and it started working again. So I took it on the river again and it stopped working as soon as we hit the water. Let it dry out that night and it started working again. Took it to a water park and it stopped working after a few minutes in the water and has not worked since even after drying out. I do not know where the water is getting in, but the gasket for the battery/memory card does not seem to be very good. I was thrilled to get a waterproof camera but now I am upset because I missed getting some great pictures because the camera failed me.

Purchased At:   On Line (Ebay)