Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | Above 10 Megapixel | Fujifilm

Fujifilm FinePix S100FS Above 10 Megapixel

• MPN15781764
    UPC74101422108

The FinePix S100FS provides continuous shooting of 3 frame/second at the full 11.1 megapixels. There is a choice of 14 different scene settings (SP1, SP2) optimized for each subject type. It incorporates a high-magnification 14.3x zoom lens which covers a broad zoom range from 28mm to 400mm and Super Macro for shots as close as 1cm from the subject.

Submitted by Gundi a Beginner

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2010

Strengths:    with 28-400mm lense, it is a good thing which makes easier for people to capture any photo for any range. 28 mm is wide enough and 400 mm was pretty long range for it. it is such a compact lense. Compare to DSLR camera, mostly, we need to change the lense again and again, probably the object runs/flies away while we change the DSLR lense. if you want to get such a lense (wide and long range)for DSLR, it will cost you more than the DSLR camera itself.
The next thing, this camera is good at handling a shot on a dark room/low light.Do Not Use FLASH..
Try to use your hands but no tripod, and compare the result with another bridge camera, you will be impressed for it's performance.

Weaknesses:    What I hate from this camera, I t has a bulky appearance, and it is heavy (almost reach 1kg)
The battery live is short as well.. you probably need 2 or 3 spare batteries.
Quite slow on focus.

Bottom Line:
Compared to other "bridge camera", I think fs 100 is the best for its class.
Dont compare this camera to DSLR class, but compare it with "bridge camera" classes.Iit is a nice camera for beginners.

Similar Products Used:   Panasonic Lumix FX28, Nikon D90, Panasonic G1

Submitted by dynast a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2009

Strengths:    very fast and likable camera. continuous shooting of 7 fps on 3 Mp is excellent for sports. low light shooting with high ISO is better then any compact or even some budget SLR's.external setings mean you don't have to go into manu's that often. zoom and focus on the lens is next to none. once you pick it up you don't want to put it down. I replaced Canon EOS 30D with Fuji S100FS and don't regret it at all. No more dust on the sensor.

Weaknesses:    Would prefer optical view finder and battery could last a bit longer. get a spare one, thought.

Bottom Line:
Very capable machine. fast focus and shooting. love the external buttons and setting. it has a full SLR appeal. Sceene mode is very usefull.

Purchased At:   T Dimension

Submitted by dtrsommer a Expert

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2009

Strengths:    like Summary

Weaknesses:    - the first time you turn the camera on and the time you need to set up the camera when you can take a photo.
- the battery life
- range of the aperture / shutter speed ( 4sec. f.8) !

Bottom Line:
S100FS provides a nice balance between solid feel and light weight.
In first place stays my Nikon camera (D80) using a Sony as back up camera but wanted to know about the new S100FS , so I am still "testing" but must admit some features are very well designed compared to Sony and Nikon !
The camera is reasonably fast, performs well at higher ISO settings, and has extended dynamic range to prevent loss of highlight details , I would recommend the camera to any serious photographer, it takes a little time to get used to the camera settings but it doesn't mean the programs are hard to handle , I guess it takes some time with every digital SLR Camera / Bridge Camera !

Similar Products Used:   Sony cybershot R1 , Fuji Fine pix 9600, Pentax K10 , Canon EOS 350,

Submitted by Len a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2008

Strengths:    Great Lens 14x 67mm, with good Marco
The 1st , 2x digital zoom That I thinks looks good and dont hurt the pictures like most
Looks and holds like a DSLR
Great screen menu
Great control over all the camera settings
Cheap Battery's for adding extras
Great Digital Image Stabilization
Jpeg and CCD-RAW file settings, std and fine in Jpeg
Nice Lens hood w/ door for filters
Good low noise at 100 - 400 ISO
Fast focus
Good speed writing std and raw files for a super zoom
Construction is really great
Like the XD ,SD,SDHC setup.

Weaknesses:    None so far but one !
Need more accessories made for this camera.

Bottom Line:
Excellent Camera. I'm glad I mad the change from my DSLR to this camera. No more
bags of lens, and One Camera,One Lens, and no DUST !! Man this is great.. The lens has a excellent range,2.5 LCD works great and the tilting screen rocks! EVF works good. all the controls and switches are lead out great. I'm very impressed with this camera . the only few things that make it NOT A DSLR is changing the lens and a little smaller CCD. This camera can hold its on in the ISO 100 - 400 with the DSLR (entry-level) Cameras. It takes great pictures. Go to the pics users have posted Let the pics do the talking.

Purchased At:   BHPhotovideo.com

Similar Products Used:   S602Z
S6000
DS
K10D ( DSLR and 9 lens)

Submitted by Nate a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2008

Strengths:    Great shooting range 28mm to 400mm with single lens.
Film simulation works well for me.
DR work well capturing subtle levels in the shots
Good low light shot up to 1600 with little noise. ISO 10000 is fun for shooting without flash where the room is very dark. Grainy, but I get clear shot without blur.
I though it was TTL when I first looked through the EVF. It's really good.
Good balance between GREAT pictures and user friendliness for the non-expert.

Weaknesses:    Extra battery is hard to find.
Rubble grip started to peel after 4 months. Superglue helped good as new.
Sometime focusing in low light is a little hard

Bottom Line:
Outstanding camera with great lens. The camera is the fastest point and shoot that I have ever used. I can usually get a clear shot from someone standing on a corner driving by at 30 MPH from the time that I see them to turning the camera on to getting the shot and it is a very sharp photo.
Feels like a DSLR (people on the street are always fooled including other DSLR users). Picture are good, color is very good. Got a clear shot of an F22 at the air show zoomed and using digital zoom 800mm equivalent. Yes it had some PF, but I got the shot for much less than the $1200 and up price for an 800mm lens. My friends were impress including a DSLR owner. My friends shooting outdoors on a windy day at the rodeo refused to change lens. They missed opportunities.
At a closer range the shots I take look good to the average everyday Joe's eye. They can't tell the differense from mine and my friend's D40., and I don't need to change lens.
Zoom shot through 400mm are the best I have seen with a point and shoot. Very clear.
Also, I find that the macro lense works well from a distance using the zoom lense with the macro setting. Great for my bad back.
The average person that I know personally that owns a DSLR does not shoot well enough to justify a DSLR. As for the price, a DSLR on the cheap with lens to capture 28mm to 400mm would be much more expensive than $700-800. For me as an intermediate occasional shooter, I can't justify the cost of a DSLR (and the lens that I would want) at this time. For those like me, the camera was a God send.

Purchased At:   Camer Central