Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | Above 10 Megapixel | Nikon

Nikon Coolpix AW100 Above 10 Megapixel

A first for Nikon - the new Coolpix AW100 is a rugged 16-megapixel pocket camera built for abuse. It's waterproof to 33 feet (10m), it can take drops of 5 feet (1.5m) and it can handle temperatures as low as 14F (-10C). It has 1/2.3-inch backlit CMOS sensor, a 5x 28-140mm Nikkor VR lens and full HD video. It's perfect for mountain bikers, fisherman, skiers, kayakers, surfers, etc.

Nikon Coolpix AW100 Pro Review

The Nikon Coolpix AW100 is Nikon’s first rugged, waterproof digital camera. It can handle drops of about 5 feet, it’s waterproof to 33 feet and it’s also freezeproof – perfect for the kind of rough, outdoor funtography that I love! It’s got a 16-megapixel backlit CMOS sensor, full HD video, a 5x zoom lens, 3-inch LCD display and built-in GPS. It even has a nice fast burst mode – 7.1 frames per second for 3 frames. All-in-all, it’s a very compelling little outdoor fun camera that’s ready for pretty much anything... Continue reading →

Nikon Coolpix AW100 Intro >>

Submitted by Michelle a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2012

Strengths:    Its waterproof. I use it at waterparks and to snap quick shots of kids. I also dont have to worry about a small fall or my kids taking pics.

Weaknesses:    This is the second AW100 I have owned. The first one leaked on a trip to Hawaii during snorkeling. Not sure if we didnt close it up right however it was covered by Nikon warrenty with no issue. I would have never purchased another. The quality of the images are great about 1/8 of the time. I have complained to Nikon about the circle in the middle of 1/2 my pics and they tell me its due to humidty. I do live in Houston, however its a water camera...so shouldn't the camera work with out problems of humidity build up. I have owned several other cameras with houses cases for water use and never had any issues with humidity effecting clarity to the level. Save your $$$ buy something else.

Bottom Line:
This camera might be great for capturing images standing still. Its a multiuse camera. Its nothing fancy. Wouldn't recommend for high Humidity areas such as Texas or the Carribean.

Purchased At:   Dell.com

Similar Products Used:   Nikon Cool Pix with housing Unit/ Canon with housing unit

Submitted by TK

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2012

Strengths:    Clear sharp pictures. Easy to use.

Weaknesses:    Lens fogged up from the humidity.

Bottom Line:
We took the AW100 to an outdoor car show. After about an hour, the lens fogged up and our photos had a cloud in the middle of the shot.

Submitted by (fixie) Dave Nice a Casual

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2012

Strengths:    Maybe its what I was used to before (Coolpix L22) but it's such an improvement in image quality over the last camera I owned .It can survive a 4-5 foot drop onto concrete or slick-rock. I'm a klutz and this camera is great for me. Have had it out in the rain with me and seems to be fine

In dawn and sunset mode in the EZ picture-taking modes the low light performance has been pretty awesome...

It came with ARC Panorama Maker 5 software and that has been fun to make some panoramas.

Very happy with my purchase and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this camera to someone who was looking for a tough, waterproof camera to haul on adventures. The user interface is very easy to use, at least for me!

Weaknesses:    The battery life isn't the best when using the flash or zoom a lot. That may be an issue for some of the longer rides i have planned this summer.

Image stabilization and auto focus are slow when zoomed...

Grainy images at higher ISO

Bottom Line:
When my Nikon Coolpix L22 started to get old, with a broken battery cover, over 5000 images taken and a scratch on the lens, I started to look at my options for replacing it.

I mountain bike a lot and like something I can have on my shoulder and can grab quick to capture a cool shot of a cool move on the bicycles.

After a few evenings of fondling cameras, I chose the AW100. I'm a touchy, feely kinda guy. It has a user interface I am used to. Also, its ability to be semi drop-proof and waterproof.

It's been just over a month with few hundred pictures taken and I think I chose pretty well.

Purchased At:   best buy

Similar Products Used:   Several other cameras in Nikon Coolpix series, the waterproof Olympus.