Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | Above 10 Megapixel | Nikon

Camera TypeStandard Point and Shoot
    Interchangeable LensNot Interchangeable Lenses
    35mm Zoom Lens35 - 105 mm
    Digital Zoom4x
    Focus Range1.3 - 11.2 in. (w) / 1.3 - 6.6 in. (t)
    Macro Focus Range1.6 in. (w)
    Focal Length5.8 - 17.4 mm
    Battery Type2 x AA Batteries
    Battery Life100 Images
    Self Timer10 Sec.
    Mp3 Built In
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS X • Microsoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows 98SE • Microsoft Windows ME
    Warranty2 Years
    Exterior ColorBlack • Gold • Champagne
    Included AccessoriesSoftware • USB Cable • Video Cable • 2 x AA Rechargeable Batteries • Battery Charger • Strap
    Release DateSeptember, 2004

The Nikon Coolpix P5100 is a 12.1-megapixel full-featured compact digital camera with a 3.5x optical zoom lens, designed for optimal performance in a compact digital camera. It offers full manual exposure control, sensitivity to ISO 3200, VR vibration reduction, and a magnesium body.

Read The Complete Nikon Coolpix P5100 Pro Review >>

The Nikon Coolpix P5100 is a compact, 12.1-megapixel consumer digital camera with a 35-123mm (equivalent) optically stabilized zoom lens. Along with the usual features like face detection, movie recording, and high ISO capability, the P5100 offers an optical viewfinder and a flash hot shoe. Nikon accessory lenses are also available.

Nikon Coolpix P5100 Review Contents:

Nikon Coolpix P5100 - front and back

Read The Complete Nikon Coolpix P5100 Pro Review >>

Submitted by jorger101 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2008

Strengths:    Plenty of features for such a small package.

Weaknesses:    Shutter Lag.
Manual focusing system very confusing.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this camera with the intention to use it in places where my digital SLR draws too much attention. I have had the experience to be told by security in several places not to take photographs. With a point and shoot camera I am not noticed as much. I choosed this camera because it has the option to use it manually and the picture quality is just as good as my larger DSLR ( I own a Nikon D80). After using the camera for several months, I can honestly say that I am impressed with its features. I have not been dissapointed with its operation and the results that I have obtained with it.

I love the ability of the lens to focus at macro distances. I took some macro shots that I can only describe as breathtaking. Pictures that I have taken of people are a different story. The camera has a shutter lag which is most obvious when shooting indoors with flash. I purchased the SB400 flash unit to see if it made a difference, but the lag is still there. The shutter lag is very annoying at times, but if you are aware of it, then it is not much of a problem. Sometimes you lose a shot because of the lag. Some people are impatient when I am taking their photograph with this camera.

In the first few days that I owned the camera, I had difficulty with the auto focus system. It seemed that at times, the camera would focus in the closest object that it found. After some doing, I trained myself to make sure that I had the right focus before I shoot. The camera has a manual focus adjustment that I find confusing. I cannot focus with the manual focusing system yet.

Overall the features of the camera are so many for such a small electronic gadget and I find that it could be somewhat overwhelming to a beginner in photography. This is not a camera for the casual point and shooter. In my case I find the features just about right, but I wished that the shutter lag was not there.

The quality of the pictures that I have taken are very impresive. I take pictures at the lowest ISO setting of 64, but there are times that I bumped up to 400. I did not notice a significant amount of noise in my photographs.

Purchased At:   Samy's Camera