Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | Above 10 Megapixel | Nikon

Interchangeable LensNot Interchangeable Lenses
    35mm Zoom Lens28 - 112 mm
    Digital Zoom4x
    Focus TypeManual Focus
    Focus Range19.7 in. to Infinity (w)
    Macro Focus Range0.8 in. to Infinity (w)
    Focal Length6 - 24 mm
    Image Resolutions640 x 480 • 3264 x 2448 • 2592 x 1944 • 2048 x 1536 • 1600 x 1200 • 1280 x 960 • 1027 x 768 • 4224 x 2376 • 4224 x 2816 • 3168 x 3168 • 4224 x 3168
    Aperture Rangef2.7/f5.9 (w/t)
    ViewfinderOptical
    Interface TypeUSB 2.0
    Battery TypeRechargeable Li-Ion Battery
    Battery Life200 Images
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS X • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition • Microsoft Windows XP Professional • Microsoft Windows Vista
    Included AccessoriesSoftware • USB Cable • Lithium Battery • AC Power Adapter • Strap • AV Cable

13.5 Megapixels, 4x Wide Angle Optical Zoom-NIKKOR ED Glass Lens and New EXPEED Image Processing

Read The Complete Nikon Coolpix P6000 Pro Review >>

The Nikon Coolpix P6000 is Nikon’s flagship compact camera, improving on its predecessor the P5100 with 13.5 megapixels of resolution and a wider 28mm - 112mm (35mm equivalent) zoom lens. The P6000 also brings back RAW format, and adds things like GPS and online connectivity. I reviewed the P5100 in 2008 and this review of the P6000 is concerned primarily with changed specifications and performance. The P5100 just needed a couple tweaks to be a strong photographic tool. Does the P6000 clear those hurdles? Well, as one might expect from a 13.5-megapixel camera, the P6000 produces excellent images at low ISO and acceptable quality at higher ISO settings. But my overall feeling for the Coolpix P6000 is one of indifference rather than the enthusiasm I felt for the P5100.

Nikon Coolpix P6000 Review Contents:

Nikon Coolpix P6000 - front and back

Read The Complete Nikon Coolpix P6000 Pro Review >>

Submitted by gregbartos a Expert

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2010

Strengths:    Cute and full featured

Weaknesses:    Cute and full featured mean nothing in a poor quality product. I can find nothing to recommend in this camera. It's even a lousy GPS unit.

Bottom Line:
I bought the Nikon P6000 to replace my Fuji Finepix E-900, which, unfortunately, I lost. I have several Nikons, including a D2x, so I thought I'd try Nikon's pricey compact for my "carry everywhere" camera. At the time I bought it, based on Nikon advertising and the price, this was their "best" digital point and shoot camera. This will be a short review.
This has been the worst camera I ever owned, film or digital, at any price. I had hoped for high resolution (13.5 megapixels, after all) and pictures with good tonality. By tonality I mean good dynamic range, with reasonable details in the highlights and shadows. This camera delivers none of the above. At ISO 64 or 100, this camera produces pictures of comparable quality to a $100 unit. At ISO 400, it's a throwaway.
I sent the camera back to Nikon, and they replaced the lens and focusing mechanism. It came back in less than two weeks (thank you), at no charge to me. It was somewhat improved, but very little. It's still the worst camera I ever owned. I learned a hard lesson. Don't pay too much attention to the name on the camera. The D2x is a fine camera and has served me well. It should, for the price. The P6000 should therefore give me nice results too, right? Wrong. I assume this camera is out of production. I find no ads for it anywhere, and didn't find many shortly after I ordered it. I've talked to a few dealers about this camera and mostly I got frowns. Nikon should know better than to put their name on junk.

Purchased At:   B&H Photo Video