Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | Compact System Cameras | Sony

Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Compact System Cameras

5/5 (1 Reviews)

The Sony NEX-C3 is a compact interchangeable lens camera with a 16-megapixel APS-C sensor, 720p HD video and a 3-inch tilting LCD display.

Submitted by Tin-Tak a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2012

Strengths:    1. Stunning photo quality
2. High ISO peformance comparable to entry level DSLR
3. Responsive (short start up time + good AF speed)
4. Light weight * small size
5. Good function (anti-blur, MF assist etc)
6. Good battery life (over 300 photos)

Weaknesses:    1. Strange user interface (eg. red-eye reduction not within flash mode. Instead it is under Setup menu)
2. Quality of kit lens not the best among its competitor
3. Poor flash (need to zoon in to around 24mm to eliminate the dark corners)

Bottom Line:
: I was looking for a replacement to my old entry level DLSR (which I only have the lens that comes with the camera). What I mainly shoot is my young child (in door + outdoor) as well as landscape. The size and weight of the DLSR kept me away from bringing it everywhere with me. Therefore I decided to go for ILC.

Initially I checked out Olympus E-PM1, Panasonic GF3 and Nikon J1. You are right, no Sony. I was never a Sony fan as I thought Sony = fancy + pricey. My mom has a Sony compact camera but I've never liked it. However after I've looked at this camera and compared it with what Panasonic, Olympus, and Nikon offers in the market, I decided to give this NEX C3 a try and bought the dual lens package (16F24 + 1855).

"Outstanding" is the word I'll give this camera after I've used it for a few months. AF is slower than my old DSLR but fast enough for shooting my young child. Outdoor is as crispy and indoor (especially under low light) is better then my old DSLR. Even under ISO3200, it can still capture lots of detail. After removing the grainy noise and applying lens correction in Photoshop, big prints as large as S8R still looks very good to me. Someone may say that the kit lens are not very good. Yes, it suffers from some degree barrel distortion at wide angle and chromatic aberration at wide-angle. But it can easily be corrected/removed in Photoshop lens correction.

However the menu system is really "Sony". Likely it has 4 custom buttons which I can set the functions I need most. Basically I don't need to go to the "Sony" menu when I am shooting. The flash included is another thing that I don't like much. The coverage is similar to other ILC in-camera flash but it has dark corners at wide angle. You need to zoom in to about 24mm to take away the dark corners. However, thanks to the excellent high-ISO performance, I seldom need to use the flash.