Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | Digital SLRs | Canon

Memory TypeCompactFlash Card Type I • CompactFlash Card Type II • SD Card
    Battery Type1 x CR2025 • 1 x NP-E3
    Included AccessoriesLithium Battery • Battery Charger • Remote Control
    Release DateSeptember, 2005
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS X • Microsoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows 98SE • Microsoft Windows ME • Microsoft Windows XP
    Battery Life1,200 Images
    Image Sensor TypeCMOS
    Interchangeable LensInterchangeable Lenses
    ISO Speeds50 • 100 • 1600 • 3200
    ViewfinderOptical (Through-the-lens)
    Interface TypeUSB • FireWire
    Self Timer2 Sec. • 10 Sec.
    Flash TypeExternal
    White BalanceAuto • Manual • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Cloudy (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Tungsten (Preset) • Shade (Preset) • Flash (Preset)
    Shutter Speed30 - 1/8000 sec
    Compression ModesFine • SuperFine • Normal • Uncompressed • Basic
    Camera TypeSLR/Professional
    Focus TypeAutofocus & Manual Focus
    Frames Per Second8.5 Frames
    Compression TypeJPEG • Raw Image
    File Size (High Res.)7.9 MB (16 images on 128MB card)
    Image Resolutions3504 x 2336 • 3104 x 2072 • 2544 x 1696 • 1728 x 1152
    Tripod MountWith Tripod Mount
    LCD Screen Resolution8.5 pixels
    File Size (Low Res.)1.1 MB (about 116 images on 128MB card)

• Sensor: 4.15 megapixels
  • Max resolution: 2496 x 1662 (Canon RAW format)
  • Lens conversion factor: 1.3x
  • Focus: 45-point Area AF w. One-Shot AF, AI Servo AF, and Manual Focus
  • Exposure: Program, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Depth-of-Field, E-TTL Flash, Manual
  • ISO Range: Equivalent to ISO 200-1600 (in 1/3 stop increments)
  • Max burst rate: 8 fps for 21 shots in Large/Fine
  • Magnesium alloy chassis
  • "Most extensively (weather)protected camera in its class"

Submitted by reflections a Expert

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2007

Strengths:    Fast auto focus Fast write time Fast burst rate.

Auto focus is more accurate than 30D

Since it is only 4MP the file sizes are smaller than the 30D and you don't need as many memory cards.

Weaknesses:    Not good at for long exposures at night. (creates white dots all over the image)
    Batteries don't last as long as 30D batteries.
    Since it is only 4MP cropping is more limited. Just get closer and this isn't a problem.
    Sensor gets dirty easier than 30D.

Bottom Line:
    This is a great camera even though it's old technology (2001) before i purchased this camera I had a Canon 10D & 30D. I sold my 10D off to purchase this camera. I still have the 30D so I've been able to compare the 2 cameras. For most jobs I choose the 1D over the New 30D. The big differences between the cameras is speed. I never noticed the shutter lag in my 30D until I got my 1D. It is like the difference between a point and shoot Digital and the 30D.

The auto focus on the 1D blows away the 30D. The 1D's tracking is just amazing. I went to a motorcycle race this summer and took both cameras. The 1D didn't have any problems tracking the motorcycles and most shots came out great. The 30D was a different story. only about 1/2 the shots came out good. The rest of them were miss focused. I used my canon 70-200 L for all the shots.

I've compared the two camera's ISO and I'd have to say they look about the same. Not much of a difference between the two. Both camera are have less noise at higher ISO speeds that the 10D.

The only major flaw in this camera is the ability to do long exposures at night. When I tried to do some long exposures there were lots of dots all over the image. The dots start around 2 seconds, by 8 seconds the images are unusable because the the dots. I never had any problems with my 10D or 30D in this area.

Since a used 1D and a new 30D is about the same price I would recommend the 1D over the 30D unless you shoot a lot of night shots or heavily crop your images.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Canon D30, 10D, 30D
    Canon 28-105, 28-80L, 24-105L, 70-200 F4L, 100-300L, 50mm, 135 SF, 28
    Tamron 28-75, 28-300, 19-35
    Tokina 12-24, 300 F4

Submitted by MAK a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2006

Strengths:    - weather proof sealing and solid build quality
    - 45 point of focus
    - 8.5 frame/sec
    - 2.5 inch screen
    - worth every peny.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
    I've just discovered that the 1D series bodies ar true master pieces, i like it's practicality and handling , they are build like a tank comparing to the smaller bosies like the 5D, 20D, 30D, 350D, in which i discovered that i've wasted my time with the lower serieses of canon SLR mounts. The 1D Mark II N had an amazing fast focusing with super amazing view finder that contain 45 point of focus which is more that enough, the 8.5 frame per sec. is another amazing story specially for wild life photography and sports. The image quality and the preformance of the Camera is amazing but still not go as the 1Ds mark II or the 5D that equiped with the wonderful full frame sensor. they are alot of talk and alot of breath taking specification on the 1D mark II N. the end bottom is that if you got the money don't waste it on a lower digital mounts serious. the 1d is a long term invesment.

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   EOS 5D currently along with it

in the past 30D, 20D, 350D

Submitted by Mihai Spiridonica a Professional

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2006

Strengths:    The famous 1 series build - gaskets, magnesium body and so on. Everything worked just fine and was functional. Less the abovementioned controller... but then again, I expect that error to be software-related.

Weaknesses:    Slow AF, software errors, everything I've mentioned in the general description. And, again, too soft images...

Bottom Line:
    I've been used the MKII for more than a year, as it was part of the photo kit I've been given by the newspaper I work with. Contrary to my expectations (I was the owner of a 10d back then) I've had problems with focusing, which really was too soft. No matter what we were working on, it never produced the crisp clear images we were expecting from it (them, as a mattter of fact, as we were using 3 MKII bodies at that time).

After some 6-7000 exposures a strange incident occured - 50% of the times the camera was powered on, the upper controller (which I had set for Tv) stopped working. It was a matter of turning the camera off, wait 2-4 seconds then turn it back on in order to restore the controller's function. Strangely, the portrait mode controller replicated on the other handle never did that. Frustrating, to say the least of it.

Another major issue of the camera was concerning the use of IS pro lenses. I've tried the 400/2.8 IS and the 70-200/2.8 IS. Whenever the stabilizer was set to ON, the mirror jammed and the camera was displaying an error message (I apologize for not recalling the exact code, but it was an "Err XX" nevertheless.) It happened to all IS pro lenses I've tried on it, mine or colleagues', it didn't really matter. No problems without the stabilizer on, or with similar lenses without IS, though.

Finally, the AF system itself was too d***slow for, say, soccer or rally. It could work well for a fashion show, but soccer, hell, no. Especially in artificial light, since most of the soccer games were held at night on artificially - lighted stadiums. Keepers, yes, I've had them at a rate of 30%. It's a pity considering the total no. of exposures guaranteed by the manufacturer, and a waste as well - the shutter doesn't last forever.

Purchased At:   IT&S Romania

Similar Products Used:   10d, 20d, D30, D60, Kodak DCS620, Kodak D2000

Submitted by I_Fly a Professional

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2005

Strengths:    Speed, speed, speed. Focusing & fps.
    It meters accurately.
    Very nice viewfinder.
    All the professiona 1 series features/options.
    As of 6/2005: price!

Weaknesses:    High ISOs are very noisy.

Bottom Line:
    I shoot primarily aircraft photos. I was a little hesitant to get the 1d because of the 4 megapixel sensor. It didn't take long to fall in love with the camera. It's super fast focusing, I don't use the 8 fps often but it's handy when needed. I shoot raw exclusively and generally only need to sharpen the photos a tiny bit. I've recently printed, and sold, several 20"x30" posters. As long as you compose properly to use a full frame image, they look great. A couple of things to be aware of, it uses batteries up fairly quickly, especially if using IS on a Canon lense. It's a heavy camera but I consider that a positive, it's a little steadier in a wind than a light camera, such as my 20D I use as a backup. It's a wonderful camera, even more amazing considering the age of the technology in it. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone shooting fast subjects with good light (high ISOs are very noisy). It would be nice to be able to zoom in on the LCD preview but...can't have everything. The price is currently very close to a new 20D. Even now, I would seriously consider a 1D before a 20D, depending on what you shoot.

Purchased At:   Adorama