Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | Digital SLRs | Canon

Interchangeable LensInterchangeable Lenses
    Focus TypeAutofocus & Manual Focus
    Image Resolutions2784 x 1856 • 5616 x 3744 • 4992 x 3328 • 4080 x 2720
    Shutter Speed30 - 1/8000 sec
    White BalanceAuto • Manual • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Cloudy (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Tungsten (Preset) • Shade (Preset) • Flash (Preset) • Colour Temperature Adjust
    Frames Per Second5 Frames
    Memory TypeCompactFlash Card Type I • CompactFlash Card Type II • SD Card • SDHC Card
    Compression TypeJPEG • Raw Image • EXIF 2.21 • DCF 2.0
    ViewfinderOptical (Through-the-lens)
    LCD Panel Size3 in.
    Interface TypeUSB 2.0
    Battery TypeProprietary Li-Ion
    Self Timer2 Sec. • 10 Sec.
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS X • Microsoft Windows XP • Microsoft Windows Vista
    Exterior ColorBlack
    Included AccessoriesSoftware • USB Cable • Video Cable • Neck Strap • Lithium Battery • Battery Charger • AC Power Adapter

An entirely new 21.1-megapixel full-frame Canon CMOS sensor delivers astounding image quality. Cutting-edge features-such as a large 3.0-inch LCD monitor with Live View Function, and a fast, precise 45-point AF system-make the EOS-1Ds Mark III powerful and versatile.

Submitted by toddegg a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2008

Strengths:    Build, improved ergonomics, ability to configure settings to personal needs, great viewfinder, live view, good 3" LCD - great compared to anything previous, amazing resolution at 21.1 megapixels, fast fps ability at such high resolution

Weaknesses:    cost, could use AF in live view

Bottom Line:
I have owned the 1Ds, 1DsM2, and have a XT that I use as a backup. When I found out that Canon was going to release a DsM3, I sold my M2 on eBay. In the interim, Nikon of course released an awesome camera, the D3. I looked long and hard at both cameras. I had 3-4 lenses for the EOS system including two L's (one I got for Christmas). Therefore, my first inclination was to stick with Canon. After playing with the D3 at the local camera store - a shooter showed me his personal D3 (they had only one in stock, and didn't want to take it out of the box). He walked me through the various functions and capabilities, and I really liked the camera. Now I had a quandary to deal with. Sell my Canon gear and switch or go with the sight-unseen 1Ds Mark III. I think I then read every word on the internet that remotely resembled a review or hands-on with both cameras. I even looked hard at the 1D Mark III. Eventually, I based my decision to buy the Ds on the fact that 5fps is fast enough for what I do, and the pictures seemed to be more detailed from most reviews. The D3 has a great ISO capability that I got to try out first hand, but 3200-6400 (stretched in PS on the Ds) on both are good. The D3 takes photos you couldn't take on anything else right now - at 12-25000 ISO. They are very noisy and are not what I'd be shooting anyway. The trouble of switching also played a minor factor, but not that much.

So, I got the M3 and began learning it. First thing - the 3" LCD is great. The Nikon was a little sharper, but at 3" - they're both "on camera LCD's" - not a frigging monitor for heavens sake. Point being - sure the Nikon was a little sharper, but the Canon is great as well. Definitely not a dissapointment.

Next, menu system is much easier to navigate. Thank you Canon.

3rd. Live view is great - manual focus or not. I'm happy with it. AF would be nicer, though.

4th. AMAZING photos all the way up to 3200 iso. I am VERY happy with the photos I've taken so far. The 21.1 megapixels gives me a new dimension for landscapes, cropping, and printing.

5th. 5fps is slow if you're shooting Tony Parker on a fast break, but for me it's incredible to capture 21.1 MP at 5fps.

6th. Viewfinder is amazing, large, has all the right info.

I am sure there will be people who will need to choose the Nikon or the 1D Mark III for reasons of their own. If you want a top Canon camera and have been looking at the 1Ds, I think it is an important upgrade to the M2, and I am very happy with it. I can say that I recommend it.

Purchased At:   Lighthaus Camera Haw