Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | Digital SLRs | Canon

Interchangeable LensInterchangeable Lenses
    Focus TypeAutofocus & Manual Focus
    Image Resolutions3504 x 2336 • 2544 x 1696 • 1728 x 1152
    Shutter Speed30 - 1/8000 sec
    White BalanceAuto • Manual • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Cloudy (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Tungsten (Preset) • Shade (Preset) • Flash (Preset)
    Frames Per Second5 Frames
    Compression ModesFine • Normal
    Compression TypeJPEG • Raw Image
    File Size (High Res.)8.7 MB (15 images on 128MB card)
    File Size (Low Res.)0.6 MB (about 213 images on 128MB card)
    ISO Speeds100 • 3200
    Flash TypeBuilt-In
    ViewfinderOptical (Through-the-lens)
    Interface TypeUSB 2.0
    Battery TypeProprietary Lithium
    Battery Life1,100 Images
    Self Timer2 Sec. • 10 Sec.
    Tripod MountWith Tripod Mount
    MPN1234B004
    UPC013803065114
    Product ID30041923

The EOS 30D incorporates a host of new features with Canon's highly acclaimed 8.2 megapixel CMOS sensor and DIGIC II Image Processor. The EOS 30D includes enhanced operational features such as a new 2.5 inch LCD monitor, true spot metering, a durable new shutter mechanism and Canon's Picture Style feature, all in an sturdy, magnesium-clad body.

Submitted by digital1 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2008

Strengths:    -Camera feels great in the hands
-Superior build quality
-Fast cycle speed
-Accurate focusing
-Low noise levels at high ISO levels

Weaknesses:    -A bit heavy
-White balance not always accurate indoors

Bottom Line:
This camera has an excellent build quality which in my opinion clearly exceeds the entry level DSLR offerings of Canon, Nikon, etc. I have 3 lens, the 50 mm f1.4, 28-135mm stabilized lens and the 70-300mm stabilized lens. The camera captures beautiful photos with all of these lenses with consistent results across the lens array. The 50mm 1.4 is outstanding for indoor family photos and portraits without a flash. The low noise level of the D30 at ISO 1,600 allows this lens to work beautifully in low light.

The camera cycles quickly, focuses fast and functions exceptionally well. The image noise level at 1,600 and 3,200 is quite low compared to other cameras I've used. The image sharpening of the camera, noise level, cycle speed, feature set and build quality are hard to fault. The 30D's pixel count makes excellent poster size photos. This makes me question the need for higher pixel counts.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Similar Products Used:   Nikon D200
Canon Digital
Nikon D80
Olympus 510

Submitted by Adriana a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2007

Strengths:    well constructed
easy to use
has picture styles
shoots great at 1600 with min grain
can shoot fast in RAW
preview is fast and easy
screen is big enough to see image clearly
can use tons of lenses

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This is by far the best camera I have used since I got it. Its well constructed, easy to handle, accepts many lens. I can go on. The quality I get from it was worth the price. Its very easy to use and the buttons are in the right place. Its not heavy and it fits nicely in my hands. I have better control over it than my last camera. I shoot in manual mode mostly and it works flawless. Has several metering modes, picture styles and so forth I really can't explain everything about this but all I can say it is one of the best out there.

Purchased At:   Dell

Similar Products Used:   Canon Digital Rebel XT

Submitted by Danny a Beginner

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2007

Strengths:    * For the money, this is the greatest camera you can buy as it is equally suited for portraits, wildlife, sports, whatever.

* Good noise control on higher ISOs.

* GREAT ergonomics - Can't be stressed enough

* 5 FPS shutter speed.

* Maybe the most versitile DSLR around $1K

* Solid Feel

Weaknesses:    Some weather proofing would be nice.

Bottom Line:
I felt a bit guilty when I bought this camera. I had an old Maxxum5 film SLR that I played around with but wasn't what you would call a photographer. But being a beginner and the lack of instant feedback via digtal pictures, my photography hobby quickly flamed out.

Well, that was a little while ago. New Job, better money, and I wanted get back into it. I shot around a lot with a friends 350D. Good camera, but it just didn't feel right to me.

So, I opted for the 30d. Most people would probably tell you that it is not the best camera for a beginner, especially at it's price point and that is why I felt a little guilty purchasing it. But when I put my hands on it, it just makes me want to take pictures. It really instills confidence in the picture taker. I can't think of a situation where this camera would let you down. And believe it or not, there is confidence knowing that when you have a bad photo, it is YOUR fault and not the camera's.

Anyways, after a couple of weeks you get so used to the controls that you can change setting in literal seconds. The ergonomics on it are great, although I would recommend getting a grip for it as well.

I have taken the best pictures of my life with this camera, and I have only had for a little more than 3 months! I am shocked that even up to 1600 ISO, it is still highly usuable. It is great for low light shooting as long as you have a reasonably fast lens.

This camera is just a great camera. Right now it is the reason why I love photography. I can grow with this camera but I will never outgrow it. Great piece of consumer electronics.

Purchased At:   Online Store

Similar Products Used:   Maxxum 5 Film
Canon 350D XT

Submitted by Bob a Expert

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2007

Strengths:    Comfort in hand
Multiple frames
Durability and
Relatively good price!!

Weaknesses:    None that I've found yet, though I do a lot of winter photography, we'll see how it performs in very cold weather.Kodak P850

Bottom Line:
I have used Canon cameras for about 40 yrs., starting with my Canon EOS SLR, moving to a PowerShot A50 and then eventually to the EOS 30D. I between I used a Kodak P850, which was a nice camera but in lacking in the areas I most needed from a digital camera. The 30D does it all and the multiple images within a .5 sec burst is awesome to say the least. The picture qualiity is excellent, the lack of noise in blown up photos is surprisingly nice, and the sturdiness of the camera is perfect for me, being an outdoor photographer. Also, since I have a 35mm Canon I already had a good selection of lenses!!
Many might hold out for the 5D, but for me the 30D is peeeerfect!!!

Purchased At:   BuyDig.com