Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | Digital SLRs | Canon

Camera Resolution19 Megapixel
    Image Resolutions2592 x 1728 • 3888 x 2592 • 3456 x 2304
    Video FormatQuickTime
    Shutter Speed1/60 - 1/8000 sec
    White BalanceAuto • Manual • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Cloudy (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Tungsten (Preset) • Shade (Preset) • Flash (Preset)
    Frames Per Second8 Frames
    LCD Screen Size3 in.
    Interface TypeUSB 2.0 • HDMI
    Battery TypeRechargeable Li-Ion Battery
    Battery Life1,000 Images
    Self Timer2 Sec. • 10 Sec.
    Family LineCanon EOS
    Included AccessoriesSoftware • USB Cable • Neck Strap • Battery Charger • AV Cable • Battery Pack
    Release DateSeptember, 2009

Made to be the tool of choice for serious photographers and semi-professionals, the EOS 7D features an all-new 18.0 Megapixel APS-C size CMOS sensor and Dual DIGIC 4 Image Processors, capturing tremendous images at up to ISO 12800 and speeds of up to 8 fps. The EOS 7D has a new all cross-type 19-point AF system with improved AI Servo AF subject tracking and user-selectable AF area selection modes for sharp focus no matter the situation. The EOS 7D's Intelligent Viewfinder, an entirely newly-designed technology, provides 100percent coverage and displays user-selected AF modes as well as a spot metering circle and on demand grid lines. New iFCL Metering with 63-zone dual-layer metering system uses both focus and color information to provide accurate exposure even in difficult lighting. The EOS 7D also captures Full HD video at 30p (29.97 fps), 24p (23.976 fps) and 25p with an array of manual controls, including manual exposure during movie shooting and ISO speed selection. The EOS 7D features a magnesium alloy body that is dust- and weather-resistant and shutter durability of up to 150,000 cycles. Compatible with over 60 EF and EF-S lenses as well as with EOS System accessories, the creative opportunities - not just with stills but also with video - are beyond amazement.

Submitted by nikond80 a Expert

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2016

Strengths:    The shutter sound is softer than the original 7D but louder than a 6D. Silent drive mode fades operation to pianissimo, but with slower performance, making it ideal for ceremonies.

Weaknesses:    The only AF nitpick thus far is my existing lenses needed micro adjustment (calibration) for optimal sharpness. Oddly, most of these same lenses were fine at default on my old 7D.

Bottom Line:
Shooting with the 7D MKII was immediately intuitive and natural: operation, balance and appearance are similar to my old 7D. While it felt like an old friend in my hands, the 65-point AF array is what got me to lay down my hard earned cash. Here are my impressions about the 7D MKII after a month of shooting.

James

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   7D MKII, Nikon D800

Submitted by Digital SLR Seller a Professional

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2015

Strengths:    Get it here--------->>> http://amzn.to/1P9YaIS only $1299.95
Canon EOS 70D 20.2 MP Digital SLR Camera with Dual Pixel CMOS AF Full HD 1080p Video with Movie and EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM with Canon EF-S 55-250mm STM f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer Telephoto Zoom Lens + 58mm 2x Professional Lens + High Definition 58mm Wide Angle Lens + Auto Flash + Uv Filter Kit withwith 24GB Complete Deluxe Accessory Bundle

Weaknesses:    Get it here--------->>> http://amzn.to/1P9YaIS only $1299.95

Bottom Line:
Get it here--------->>> http://amzn.to/1P9YaIS only $1299.95

Submitted by ksbryan0 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2010

Strengths:    Between the AF abilities, high frame rate and pro-level options, this camera has been fantastic for my outdoor shooting. The LCD allows excellent image reviewing in the field and the camera controls are located in the right places to quickly become easy to adjust on-the-fly without needing to take your eye away from the view finder. Battery life has been excellent, generally only requiring me to recharge the batteries (2 batteries with the Canon battery grip) every 3 weeks or longer and well over 900 images and many hours of the camera being turned on while hiking during shooting. The dual Digic-4 processors do a great job of quickly writting the images to the CF (UDMA) card. I think I have only had to wait for the buffer once or twice while images were being saved, which is quite a feat considering I only shoot high quality RAW and often fired off multiple sequences or high fps shooting.

Weaknesses:    I expected better high ISO performance from the 7D, but am generally only satisfied with images taken up to ISO 1600. Using Noiseware Pro, I have been able to adequately clean up a number of images at ISO 3200 and higher. I have done some landscape photography with the 7D and an EF 24-70 2.8 L, but I have generally found a lack of crisp sharpness on distant features within the image at any F-stop. I have only shot one video, just to see how it turned out, but didn't necessarily want or care about video options. To me, the video is really a weakness because it represents a new potential area for the camera to fail, while at the same time adding significant cost to the purchase price. Perhaps someday I will find a need for the video and it may become a strength at the time, but until then-it doesn't provide me any value.

Bottom Line:
Being wildlife photography enthusiast with a lot of bird shooting opportunities, the highly regarded AF and multiple AF points of the 7D encouraged me to take the plunge and make the upgrade from my Rebel XSi. I have primarily used this body with an EF 100-400 4-5.6 L, but have occasionally mounted an EF 70-200 2.8 L on it. The combination of the APS-C sensor and the 100-400 mm lens make filling the frame with a wildlife subject pretty easy work. I purchased the Canon battery grip for this camera to extend my shooting time and help to balance it's feel when tied to a long lens. I used Arthur Morris' 7D User's Guide as a starting point for the camera settings, but as I became more comfortable with the camera and critiqued my results, I made further adjustments to finally obtain a relatively high keeper rate. There are a number of features of this camera that I never or seldom use, including it's ability to produce video. My use of this camera for outdoor wildlife and family activity photography has yielded high quality RAW files that have allowed me to take my photographic results to a higher level.

Purchased At:   F11 Photo

Similar Products Used:   Canon EOS Rebel XSi
Canon 5D Mark II

Submitted by poker a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2010

Strengths:    Bright LCD
Bright 100% Viewfinder
Fast 19 Point Auto-focus
Excellent Metering
Built in Canon Flash Control
Dust and weather resistant
HD video with selectable frame rates
8 FPS

Weaknesses:    Weight - 2 lbs 6.6 oz with battery, CF card, and Canon 50mm f1.8 lens

Settings and custom functions are out growing Canon's menu format. In my opinion they should re-think their interface to keep it simple.

I have not experienced this but overheating is said to be an issue with long video recordings.

Bottom Line:
I bought this camera to replace my Canon 30D and to supplement my 5DMKII. I wanted something durable and this is the least expensive Canon DSLR with a weather resistant body. Viewing clips of this camera in snow and rain was a selling point for me. I want to go on my next dusty 4x4 trip without having to worry about the camera.

The first thing I noticed after shooting with the 7D is how well it meters the image. I get great contrast even when lighting is harsh. I had a tendency to get blown highlights while using my 5DMKII. The bright LCD is the icing on the cake when reviewing photos.

The 19-point auto-focus is so cool and almost futuristic. It's fast and seems like it read my mind on where to focus. It took me sometime though to figure out how to change the auto-focus settings. This only means it is more advance than the past Rebels and xxD series that I've used.

HD Video with a Canon DSLR is always fantastic now with more frame rates available. Unfortunately, auto-focus is still NOT like your typical video camera. It takes getting use to. Once you get use to it and assuming you have a powerful computer, your home video will be like no other.

I’m happy to know that Canon finally has built in flash control. After using a Nikon D80 and the built in flash control, I felt bitter that Canon didn’t have the same. I have yet to test it out though.

I believe the extra cost over the xxD series is well translated in the features of this camera. I can imagine the 7D being used much longer than my Canon 30D.

Purchased At:   Bel Air Camera

Similar Products Used:   Canon 30D
Canon 5DMKII

Submitted by agunther a Expert

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2009

Strengths:    18 MP resolution, exceeding the resolution of previous Full Frame cameras.

Very fast (8fps). This will come in handy if you need to catch action shots. Its one of the fastest cameras on the market right now. This feature, combined with the resolution and the extended lens reach of the APS-C format will make it a top choice for action shooters.

Video: 7D supports all common frame rats 24fps / 25fps / 30fps at 1080p and faster rates at lower resolution (720p)

Bright large viewfinder

Electronic level is extremely useful. We all struggle with tilted horizons at some point.

Environmental sealing if you find yourself fighting for survival in a blizzard and wanting to leave a HD video will. Just talk fast to keep it below 12 minutes.

Being able to shoot at very high ISO levels can make the difference between getting the shot or getting the blur.

Weaknesses:    None really, these are only minor things.

I would love to have a low-resolution mode (4.5MP that combines 4 standard pixels) with even higher ISO. A mode like this would be very useful for location scouting.

No A-Dep mode (see above).

A swivel screen would be nice to be able to hold the camera high above my head or low to the ground while in live view shooting mode.

At 18MP resolution, I calculate a theoretical minimum aperture of f/8. Smaller apertures will already start to show softness due to diffraction. You need to apply more sharpening for those. Only expensive lenses can resolve that much even at the corners.

Canon’s RAW software DPP doesn’t seem to work correct with monitor color profiles. Pictures look different in Photoshop (yellow tint). DPP also could use a curve tool.

Bottom Line:
With the new EOS 7D, Canon drives the Megapixel hype to the next dimension. The 7D claims the crown of the resolution king among the APS-C crowd and puts the competition to shame, at least after reading the specs. Can the 7D really fulfill the high expectations?

I thought long and hard about the 7D. Should I invest this much money into a camera with crop factor or should I get the 5DM2 instead. The full frame 5D promises much lower noise levels, due to the larger pixels size.

Several factors tipped the scale in favor of the 7D.
The crop factor sensor means I can keep running for a while with my current lens setup and that I can get more reach for my buck. In the telephoto range, a 400mm lens will have more reach than a 600mm on the 5DM2. Lenses in this category are very expensive. The difference between 400 and 600 is huge. I already got the wide-angle range covered with a Tokina 12-24 EF-S lens, which wouldn’t fit the 5D anyways.

The 7D is a newer camera, has two digital signal processors and offers 24fps 1080p video (5DM2 does not have that mode). It has an electronic level, built-in flash and a couple of other goodies and it was cheaper than the 5DM2. Eventually everything comes down to economics. The 7D is a good choice for travel photographers like myself. The weight difference between a telephoto lens for a APS-C and a Full Frame camera with the same reach is not negligible.

Since previous reviewers already covered the technical aspects and since you can always look at the datasheet, I will focus on the practical aspects.

A killer feature for me is the electronic level. You can use it in live view mode or on a tripod, but it doesn’t show in the viewfinder. It helps you to straighten your camera and get level shots. Crop losses due to tilted horizons are history now. No more running around with stupid green levels in the flash shoe either.

I don’t believe that the 100% viewfinder really matters. At 18MP you can afford to crop a bit from the edges. On the other hand, the viewfinder magnification and viewfinder illumination really help. This is just what I need for low light outdoor shots.

The 7D currently offers the most High Definition Video Modes of all cameras. It is the first camera to feature 24fps. Paired with the wide range of EF and EF-S lenses available, manual controls and high ISO performance, it is thus one of the most advanced movie recording systems available on the market. However, at 5.5MB/s and a maximum recording length of 4GB at once, there are some limits (about 12min at max resolution). Most of us won’t record clips that long. I don’t have much use for video, but it’s a nice to have feature.

The 19-pont auto focus is one of the best Canon ever made, or so they claim. I have yet to test the limits, but I expect superior performance tracking moving subjects (wildlife, sports, children). Landscape artists like myself may miss the A-Dep mode, at least when you have come to appreciate it. A-Dep automatically adjusts aperture for optimum depth of field.

It’s good to have environmental sealing, but I suspect that 99% of 7D users won’t need it. I had trouble at extreme temperatures before, but no experience yet how the 7D behaves. However, a professional photographer, whose likelihood depends on the photographs, cannot put her camera away just because of the weather. Ask yourself if you really need it!

One thing that really sold me on this camera is the maximum ISO setting of 12800. The pictures come out very noisy, but scaled down they are very usable.
You can see some examples in my Field review (http://www.aguntherphotography.com/reviews/canon-eos-7d-field-guide.html) that I constantly update with new insights.

Purchased At:   Amazon.com