Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | Digital SLRs | Canon

Image Resolutions2592 x 1728 • 3456 x 2304 • 5184 x 3456
    Video Resolutions640 x 480 (VGA) • 1280 x 720 • 1920 x 1080
    Video FormatQuickTime
    Shutter Speed30 - 1/4000 sec
    White BalanceAuto • Manual • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Cloudy (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Tungsten (Preset) • Shade (Preset) • Flash (Preset) • Colour Temperature Adjust
    Frames Per Second30 Frames
    Memory TypeSD Card • SDHC Card
    Compression ModesFine • Normal • Uncompressed
    Compression TypeJPEG • Raw Image • DPOF 1.1 • EXIF 2.21
    File Size (High Res.)6.4 MB (20 images on 128MB card)
    File Size (Low Res.)1.1 MB (about 116 images on 128MB card)
    ISO SpeedsAuto • 100 • 400 • 6400
    LCD Screen Resolution1,040,000 pixels
    Interface TypeUSB 2.0 • HDMI
    Battery TypeRechargeable Li-Ion Battery
    Battery Life440 Images
    Self Timer2 Sec. • 10 Sec.
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS X • Microsoft Windows XP • Microsoft Windows Vista • Apple Mac OS X 10
    Depth3 in.
    Warranty1 Year
    Family LineCanon EOS
    Included AccessoriesUSB Cable • Battery Charger • Strap • AV Cable • Battery Pack

The "flagship" camera of Canon's Digital Rebel DSLR camera series. The The Canon EOS Rebel T2i has DIGIC 4 processing, an 18-megapixel CMOS sensor and 1080p HD video with selectable frame rates. The sensitivity range is ISO 100 to 6400, expandable to ISO 12,800.

Submitted by Rivman a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2012

Strengths:    - solid feel, and quality build without being too heavy
- easy to use controls
- easy to change and read menue display
- excepts EF or EF-S lenses
- wide choice of creative and basic zone settings
- one button HD video capable
- HDMI out port

Weaknesses:    - low burst rate
- rear display panel smudges easily when using viewfinder

Bottom Line:
I purchase my Rebel T2i after a year of using a Rebel XSi, which was my first Canon DSLR, after a series of HP P&S's. The transition was fairly straight forward, and not complicted, and no doubt my early AE-1P film experience also made the transition to a newer model DSLR easier also.The T3i was released around the same time, but I don't use the video feature too often, so the resulting price difference for the older T2i and the newer T3i model resulted in a lower purchase price. I have shot about 5K pictures with the camera and am very satisfied with the results. While the 'kit' lenses do perform adequately, better glass will improve the capabilities of this camera. This camera is a perfect 'entry level' camera for anyone looking to enter the wonderful world of DSLR photography, or for someone looking to upgrade from earlier Rebel series cameras !

Purchased At:   evilBay

Similar Products Used:   AE-1P (film)
Rebel XSi

Submitted by Bill Slayman a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2012

Strengths:    Adequate build quality, fairly easy to use controls, view finder is bright, good balance and feel, 18 MP APS C sensor gives execllent results for such a small format. Steep learning curve switching from film to digital.

Weaknesses:    EF-S Kit lenses are not compatable with full frame, slow auto focus in low light, lack of sharpness with kit lens.

Bottom Line:
I finally decided to give digital a try after decades of film, using Canon FD L lenses. For my foray into the dark side (digital) I decided on a basic DSLR, the Canon Rebel T2i (550D) with the EF-S 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS lens, I did not want the T3i because I would rarely use the live view, and it is something else to break. I also borrowed a friends EF 24-105 f4.0 L IS USM to test. The following results are strictly my subjective opinions and are not based on hard data.

I started with the basic zone settings then the full auto setting then moved on to the creative zone. In all test shots I did not do any post processing,(have to learn how first), With the kit lens I was mildly disapointed with the results, as the 8 X 10 prints showed some softness, a minor lack of contrast and color rendering. At this point I was just about to go back to my A1's and F1 and my beloved FD L lenses, but a friend suggested that I try his EF 24-105 L lens. I made several shots on a tripod changing only the lens, WOW the L series 8X10 prints were as sharp, equal contrast and better color saturation, than my FD L lenses, and light years ahead of the kit lens. I was greatly releived that Canon has not lost their touch with the L series glass, and remembered that good photography has to start with good glass.

In summary the T2i with any lens other than L series is more capable than the lens, rendering acceptable to good photos and the L series lenses will allow one to use all the capabilities of the camera. In my humble opinion the T2i is an excellent basic camera for most amateur uses, especially with an L series lens. I will use this camera as my main camera until I can save the money for a 5D MKII then use it as a backup / second camera, and I will start building my collection of EF L series lenses.

Purchased At:   Robs Camera, Pensaco

Similar Products Used:   None in digital, F1 and A1 Canon FD Manual Focus Film.

Submitted by Mitwali Hax a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2011

Strengths:    - Image quality.
- Noise control.
- Stunning HD video with useful manual control.
- Easy to use.
- Lightweight.

Weaknesses:    - None.

Bottom Line:
This camera has every thing I need. The image quality is above average, all you need is a better lens than the ket lens..

Submitted by sankey a Expert

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2010

Strengths:    Love the image stabalisation and quality of the higher ISO settings. The good quality full HD video is a great feature also.

Weaknesses:    None that i have found so far

Bottom Line:
For the first time in over 20 years i decided to go to the Darkside, moving away from Nikon, to buy my first Canon. I'm loving it.