Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | Digital SLRs | Canon

Camera TypeSLR/Professional
    Interchangeable LensInterchangeable Lenses
    Image Resolutions4272 x 2848
    Shutter Speed30 - 1/4000 sec
    White BalanceAuto • Manual • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Cloudy (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Tungsten (Preset) • Shade (Preset) • Flash (Preset)
    Frames Per Second3.5 Frames
    Memory TypeSD Card • SDHC Card
    Compression ModesFine • Normal • Uncompressed
    Compression TypeJPEG • Raw Image • DPOF 1.1 • EXIF 2.21 • DCF 2.0
    File Size (High Res.)15.3 MB (8 images on 128MB card)
    File Size (Low Res.)0.8 MB (about 160 images on 128MB card)
    ISO SpeedsAuto • 100 • 200 • 400 • 800 • 1600
    Flash TypeBuilt-In & External
    Flash FunctionsFlash Off • Auto Flash • Red-eye Reduction Flash • Manual
    ViewfinderOptical (Through-the-lens)
    LCD Panel Size3 in.
    Interface TypeMini-USB
    Battery TypeRechargeable Li-Ion Battery
    Battery Life400 Images
    Self Timer2 Sec. • 10 Sec. • 12 Sec.
    Tripod MountWith Tripod Mount
    Operating SystemApple Mac OS X • Microsoft Windows 2000 • Microsoft Windows XP • Microsoft Windows Vista
    Warranty1 Year
    Included AccessoriesUSB Cable • Video Cable • Lithium Battery • Battery Charger • Strap
    Release DateApril, 2008

For stunning photography with point-and-shoot ease, look no further than Canon's EOS Rebel XSi. It features Canon's EOS Integrated Cleaning System, Live View Function, a powerful DIGIC III Image Processor, plus a new 12.2-megapixel CMOS Sensor and is available in a kit with the new EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens with Optical Image Stabilizer. The EOS Rebel XSi's refined, ergonomic design includes a new 3.0-inch LCD monitor, compatibility with SD and SDHC Memory cards and new accessories that enhance every aspect of the photographic experience.

Submitted by reidsprincess20028 a Beginner

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2009

Strengths:    great picture quality. easy to use

Bottom Line:
This is an amazing Camara. The continoues feature allows to capture great shots. The megapixels are amazing, the composition is amazing. The LCD screen is remarkable, has great color. The lens that come with the camara is a great lens for beginners.

The manual that comes with this camara is a great manual, but has very small print. The video that comes along with the camara is boring but can be educational. There are some interesting inserts that also come with the camara that is very interesting.

This Camara is good for beginners, it is easy to use and understandable. If you are an advanced photographer, you will probably need a better lens then the one that comes with it.

Purchased At:   Future shop

Submitted by dominoair a Casual

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2008

Strengths:    14bit processing
color (especially for protrait)
Fast GPU (No delay, unlike D60)
Takes all canon lens (except FD)
Light Weight
Very user friendly interface (Probably better than 5D but of course there are less functions)
Well priced

Weaknesses:    Live view isn't take magical
Since D90 already intro video recording function, it will be good if this one has (But I am ok with this)
Pixel density could be higher ^ ^

Bottom Line:
I've been using DSLR for many years.
I still remember when 300D first came out. I keep waiting for the price to drop so I can afford one(I was a student back then)
I actaully bought my first DSLR which is a Pentax.
And then I changed to Sigma SD10 (Bad camera but relatively good pic)
And I got myself a 1D MK2.
And then a 5D (A fantastic camera)
After so many changed I decide I am going to pick a small, light weight, and good pic quality camera.
After months of search and test. I found it.
450D. Not only it fits my requirements.
It is very reasonable priced.
Picture quality is outstanding (with the kit lens)
I recommend this to anyone who would like to have fun in photography.
And forget about the myth of the L lens.
Yes, it's better.
But you can take professional pictures with just the kit lens.

Purchased At:   Australia

Similar Products Used:   Pentax K100D
Sigma SD10
Canon EOS 1D MK2
Canon EOS 5D

Submitted by flashlight a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2008

Strengths:    Ease of use in both program and creative modes. Great big bright screen for previewing. Instant shooting (turn it on and shoot). Super fast AF (compared to what I'm used to). Easy to use AF (push a button and turn the dial to select the AF point). Light weight. Picture clarity. Amazing level of detail. Film like.

Weaknesses:    None discovered yet, but I've only used this for 3 days so far.

Bottom Line:
Wow. So far, I'm very happy with this camera.

Some background: This is my first digital slr. Back in the day, I took a couple of photography courses and read a few books on the subject. I could coax some pretty decent shots from my Canon AE-1.

In the past 7 years though, it's been all digital, all the time. I've used a number of point and shoot and semi-automatic cameras.

After wanting a DSLR for about a year, I finally caved in this week when Best Buy put the Canon XSi on sale for $850 with both 18-55 and 55-250 IS lenses. I haven't stopped taking photos since

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Similar Products Used:   NA

Submitted by Martin Doshé a Professional

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2008

Strengths:    Easy to use,,,

Weaknesses:    Have non!!!

Bottom Line:
Can´t say nothing bad about this camera,,,
i have the 18-200 SIGMA and i had "BIG" problems with frontfocus,,,
and i mean BIG!!! but now after a trip to service i´m VERY pleased !!!

Yours

M

Purchased At:   EL-GIGANTEN(MY WORK)

Similar Products Used:   NIKON D80
EOS 400D

Submitted by jsuber a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2008

Strengths:    I take it out on the water and photograph the sites I see like alligators, Herons, lighthouses, and general guys catching and releasing fish. I really like the camera and it has some great standard settings for someone like me who is too busy with different activities to become a really mediocre photographer let alone a good one. This camera has helped me to overcome some of those obstacles. It takes photographs that are good enough for me to get published in magazines, and on different websites.

Weaknesses:    have recently tried to take pictures of night skylines which REQUIRES you to use the manual settings. This thing will not even snap a shot in the basic configurations at night except with the Flash, and then it does not always work. I am also disappointed that I cannot leave the shutter open for no more than 30 seconds unless I keep my finger on the shutter button in the BULB mode. However this creates camera shake and seems pretty ridicules that 30 seconds is the maximum exposure.

Bottom Line:
I shoot a lot of pictures while kayak fishing and wanted something that was lightweight and durable that could stand up to the rigors and demands of saltwater exposure. I keep it in a Pelican box when not photographing. I bought this from Best Buy as a package and it came with Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens and Canon - 55-250mm f/4-5.6 Telephoto Zoom Lens. It also had a Lowepro Slingshot 100 Bag and a Sunpak Platinum Plus tripod. I also purchased a Sandisk Ultra III 8 GB with a transfer rate of 15 MB/s. I went to a different place to buy a UV Filter and a Circular Polarized Filter.

Other than that I love the setup, and its very light when compared to some of the full frame cameras.

Purchased At:   Best Buy