Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | Digital SLRs | Nikon

Interchangeable LensInterchangeable Lenses
    ISO Speeds125 • 800
    ViewfinderOptical (Through-the-lens)
    Interface TypeFireWire • Serial
    Self Timer2 Sec. • 20 Sec.
    Flash TypeExternal
    Mp3 Built In
    Camera TypeSLR/Professional
    Frames Per Second3 Frames
    Compression TypeJPEG • TIFF • Raw Image
    File Size (High Res.)12 MB (11 images on 128MB card)
    LCD Panel Size2 in.
    Image Resolutions4024 x 1324 • 2000 x 1312
    Tripod MountWith Tripod Mount
    Flash FunctionsAuto Flash • Front Sync Flash • Rear Sync Flash • Fill-in Flash • Red-eye Reduction Flash • Slow Sync
    File Size (Low Res.)0.36 MB (about 356 images on 128MB card)

• Sensor: 23.7 x 15.6mm 5.3 Megapixel CCD
  • Max resolution: 4,024 x 1,324 pixels
  • Super high-speed image processing
  • 3 frames per second for up to 9 consecutive shots
  • Storage media: CompactFlash Type I and II
  • Flash sync speed to 1/500 sec

Submitted by brittstokes a Professional

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2004

Strengths:    Speed of autofocus, lens selection, great image quality - I have made 20x30 inch enlargements from images shot in fine JPEG mode that turned out fine - much better than blowing up a 35mm image to that size. With the buffer upgrage (included in newer production cameras) you can shoot a lot of images in a hurry.

Weaknesses:    TTL flash is miserable. Inconsistent. I tried the SB28DX first, now use the SB80 which is somewhat better but still not consistent. I find that for indoor shots, setting the shutter speed to about 1/30th to 1/60th and setting aperture to f/4 or f/5.6, manual exposure mode, flash set to TTL, will work fairly well most of the time. I am suddenly having a major problem - the camera is dropping images when shooting in RAW mode. I shot about 200 shots last weekend for a band - there are about 25 missing images that didn't record to the compact flash, no missing numbers. Doesn't seem to happen shooting in JPEG modes, so off to Nikon it goes this week...

Bottom Line:
    This is a wonderful camera. It has great strengths - excellent resolution, good color fidelity (shot in Adobe 1998 mode), ability to use manual focus lenses (I shoot a lot with specialty lenses). I have shot 20,000 + images with this body, several thousand of which have been published in print or on the internet.

Purchased At:   Arlington Camera, Ar

Similar Products Used:   I previously shot with my trusty F5. After getting the D1X, I almost completely quit using the F5 in favor of digital - the only time I used it in the last year was when the D1X was getting the memory buffer upgrade at Nikon. Previously used the N90, and the FA before that. I still own a bunch of Nikon F2 cameras that I will probably never sell...

Submitted by scenephotography a Professional

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2004

Strengths:    Built solidly except for control dial
    Auto-focus is fast and acurate

Weaknesses:    Lacks Lattitude
    Inacurate colours, some greens it struggles with.
    Batteries need replacing to often
    Dust on Chip
    Software problems
    Micro-drives get eaten along with images

Bottom Line:
    I use this camera proffesonaly on location and in the studio. Having read other reviews I'm surprised that there are people out there who rate this camera highly. Firstly we only use it when our clients ask for it and to get the best results shoot raw files then process them in the capture software. The quality is no-where near that of film, the latitude is poor and it will totally bleach out in highlights if the scene is to contrasty-(Easy with this camera!) The battery may last half a day but its life is short, we are on our sixth with two spares. Dust is a constant problem and only 100% alchohol cleans without a smear. Skintones arent always nice to look at. And it eats micro-drives too. Resolution is ok but behind its rivals. Button fell of the back. Processor went in it and had to be sent back twice. Software isn't as good as phase one and has had to be constantly upgraded to de-bug it.

Purchased At:   Leeds Photo Visual

Similar Products Used:   Phase one H20 Digital back

Submitted by G Ogilvie a Professional from Oregon

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2003

Strengths:    Solid built-feels like a camera
    Can pound nails like a framing hammer.

Weaknesses:    Metering- round and round she goes where the meter stops, nobody knows(never consistent).
    Overpriced
    Overated

Bottom Line:
    I have had my D1x for close to a year now. and now it is time to write a review. Switching from my bullet proof F5, I had great expectations from Nikon for the digital side, I believe now the best use for my D1x is as a door block or as a tent peg hammer. I will explain...When I first recieved it, it was very impressive in size and appearance, but alas, much can be said about good camouflage. TTL matrix metering was notably off (based on the right-on metering of the F5) rubber material on grip started to peel off, when SB80dx was used, never the same exposure twice in a row, and these were only a few flaws. Don't believe the hype on this camera, there are other manafacturers out there with as good or better for a lot less money. If Nikon built this as good as their F5, this review would have been glowing.

Purchased At:   B&H

Similar Products Used:   Kodak 760
    Nikon D1H

Submitted by jzuffoletto a Intermediate from San Francisco, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2003

Strengths:    Rugged construction
    Excellent ergonomics
    Excellent autofocus performance
    Excellent battery life

Weaknesses:    Poor flash performance
    No useful software bundled with the camera - Photoshop is a must
    LCD cover should be clear, not milky
    CCD gets dusty very easily
    Easy to lose the LCD cover and other protective caps, and expensive to replace them

Bottom Line:
    Overall this is a great camera, with a solid, professional feel. Construction is excellent, with great material quality and heft. Except for the LCD on the back, the D1X is rugged and durable.

If you buy one, READ THE MANUAL, especially concerning the 30+ options settings in one part of the menu system (I don't have my camera with me for reference right now). My outdoor photos had a strong blue cast because I discovered the Hue/Saturation setting was set that way out of the factory. Once I set it to the neutral setting, the color cast went away.

Also, especially if you're using Photoshop, set the color space to Adobe RGB, not sRGB (the default). You'll get much better color.

I agree with the comments about poor flash performance. I have yet to take even a GOOD flash photo with the SB28DX without making massive exposure adjustments. This has been a major disappointment - even fill flash in sunlight looks terrible.

I'm happy with the D1X overall, but it takes a lot more work than my N90S to get great exposures in all conditions. I've gotten much better at Photoshop since buying this camera.

Purchased At:   San Francisco

Similar Products Used:   None

Submitted by Tom Schwartz a Professional

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2002

Strengths:    -Still solid F5-like construction
    -Somewhat intuitive controls

Weaknesses:    -Flash Exposure
    -Software
    -1.5 CCD mag. factor

Bottom Line:
    Very dissapointed with several things:
    -The Nikon digital flash system: I shoot a lot of indoor sports, and using an 80-200 f/2.8 ED-S, especially at hockey games, the subject is never properly exposed, usually under, with the background overexposed. Now don't say I don't know how to use the equipment. I've been shooting Nikon for 24 years, and used a F5 before the D1x, and know how to set the camera up. I don't know what Canon uses, but a buddy of mine with a 1-D gets much better results using the same lens/equivalent flash. Called Nikon repeadetly, they said it was a settings problem, but when I explained what I was setting, they were baffled. I sent the whole thing in (body, lens, flash), still no improvement.
    -Software problems: the software Nikon makes you purchase **Separately)** is totally useless. It's a poor interface. I'd suggest using photoshop.
    -The 1.5 CCD factor. Other camera makers are putting out mag. factors of 1.3 and lower. Where's Nikon??? My wide angle shots just aren't the same, and I've been forced to get the 17-35, which still gives me 25.5mm minimum.