Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | Digital SLRs | Nikon

Nikon D300 Digital SLRs

4.68/5 (19 Reviews)
LCD : 3 in. Display | Max. ISO : 100

• MPND300
    Memory TypeCompactFlash Card Type I • CompactFlash Card Type II • IBM Microdrive
    Battery TypeRechargeable Li-Ion Battery
    Included AccessoriesSoftware • USB Cable • Video Cable • Lithium Battery • Battery Charger • Strap
    Exterior ColorBlack
    Release Date23 August, 2007
    Image Sensor TypeCMOS
    Interchangeable LensInterchangeable Lenses
    ISO Speeds100 • 200 • 3200 • 6400
    Interface TypeUSB
    Self Timer2 Sec. • 20 Sec.
    White BalanceAuto
    Compression TypeJPEG • TIFF • Raw Image • DPOF • EXIF 2.21 • DCF 2.0
    LCD Panel Size3 in.
    Image Resolutions4288 x 2848 • 3216 x 2136
    Tripod MountWith Tripod Mount
    Flash FunctionsFront Sync Flash • Rear Sync Flash • Fill-in Flash • Red-eye Reduction Flash • Slow Sync

Introducing the D300 — A new 12.3 effective-megapixel DX-format CMOS image sensor, Nikon's original EXPEED digital image processing concept, Scene Recognition System and the new Picture Control System advance all aspects of system performance.

Read The Complete Nikon D300 Pro Review >>

The Nikon D300 is a 12.3 megapixel high-end digital SLR designed to meet the needs of the advanced amateur and professional photographer. Nikon has positioned the D300 as both the class-leading DX body and a smaller companion body to the new D3 full-frame digital SLR. In the tradition of the F-series film camera bodies that made Nikon a household name, the D300 offers all of the features of a professional body at a fantastic price.

Nikon D300 Review Contents:

Professional Reviews:
Nikon D300 Review at Imaging Resource

Submitted by Anthony Reiss a Professional

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2011

Strengths:    Solid mag alloy body feels like a tank.

Nicely balanced ergonomic design handles well on long shoots.

WB-QUAL-ISO mode button is superb and better than the analog mode dials of other cameras.

Weaknesses:    Memory Bank A, B, C, D.

For your piece of mind and sanity, forget about these. Don't even go there.

This is the equivalent of the C1 and C2 of the Canon mode and the equivalent of the U1 and U2 in the D7000.

But in the D300, everytime you change a setting, the whole bank changes to that setting! There is NO WAY you can LOCK a setting you have arranged!

Just use the A banks and forget about the rest.

Nikon should come out with a firmware patch to totally remove this Banks because it just creates confusion and frustration.

Bottom Line:
Basically a great all around camera camera to use for a long time as it has all the features one will ever need for the next 5 to 7 years sans the video mode.

It is the body of a D700 with the Full Frame sensor taken out and replaced by a 1.5 cropped APS sensor.

Love the sound of the graflex like snap of the reflex mirror. Estimated to let you hear that sound for at least over 150,000 times.

What a large top LCD!

Canon 5D
Canon 600D (T3i)

Submitted by Brad Tillotson a Expert

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2011

Strengths:    Megapixels! I know it is more expensive than the D200 like the review above said, but the beauty is you can crop out so much 'noise' and blow up your cropped picture to a 10x14 or 16x20 without losing anything. Continuous shooting with a battery pack you can shoot 7-9 shots a second. I bought a DVD on the 'how toos' of the camera and once you get familiar with it, you will want to hold it all day.

Weaknesses:    It is a bit heavy... Specially on summit day!

Bottom Line:
I took this beast up to the top of North America. Yes, all the way up to 20,320feet on top of Mount Mckinley and I am going to photograph a wedding in 3 weeks. From -40F to capturing a couple's love... this camera has rocked my world. I love it.

Purchased At:   B&H photovideo

Similar Products Used:   F100, This is my first Digital Camera

Submitted by Prettym1k3 a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2010

Strengths:    6 frames per second, ISO 1600 is moderately clean, can auto-focus AF-S as well as non AF-S lenses, can meter off of all sorts of lenses, easy user menus, sturdy billed, water resistant, fantastic battery life, and well built.

Weaknesses:    The D300s has a dedicated LiveView button. Doesn't matter much to me, but that would be nice. Also, the focus points when looking through the view finder of the D300s seem better placed and slightly more accurate. On the d-pad on the back of the camera, the D300s has an "ok" button smack in the middle of the d-pad that I really wish the D300 had. Guess I should upgrade sometime soon? Lastly, on my body in particular, I've found that sometimes my M, S, C switch will wander or creep from "S" to "M". I usually pick up on this right away, and it's not the end of the world, but it's happened a few times.

Bottom Line:
I love this camera. I purchased it used in late 2009 from a private party who absolutely babied it. It was, and still is, in immaculate condition. The controls are perfect, the body fits in my hand "like a glove", and everything is easy to reach, easy to adjust. The camera takes awesome photographs, with usable ISO's up to 1250 or, in some circumstances, 1600, although I wouldn't go much higher than that.

Purchased At:   Private Party

Similar Products Used:   Nikon D50, Nikon D40.

Submitted by jim-green a Casual

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought a nikon d300 camera from www.glad-shopping.com about a week or two ago and have so far been very pleased.The camera is a bit heavier, but you're moving into a more solid body compared to the intros and even the middle grade D90. The ability to use remote flashes and take easily 6fps shots without thinking is wonderful. The 3D tracking system if you adjust the autofocus refresh time is amazing.

Purchased At:   www.glad-shopping.co

Submitted by William Kazak a Professional

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2010

Strengths:    AF works well once you understand your settings. Sturdy/pro level results. Nice preview screen.

Weaknesses:    AF is very hard to understand with all kinds of options which seem silly to me. Simplify it so that we can immediately get the idea. Pre-flash does not work with all settings nor does your focus point become visible at all settings. Menu seems overly complex and not intuitive. I don't trust the meter because I don'rt know what the Matrix is really doing. Therefore, I use an external meter and I leave the camera on M. The built in meter seems handy but you must learn to make tweaks with it for best results.

Bottom Line:
I moved up from a pair of D70s digital bodies to a pair of D300 bodies and I am glad that I did. This camera has a nice preview screen, the AF works better and I get better results with the SB-800 flash units. Higher ISO is also better as well as more dynamic range. I shoot everything in Nikon NEF. I import to Adobe Lightroom, tweak a few settings and I am good to export as JPG.
This camera handles well for my small hands and it has all of the features I need and more. I always shoot with the camera in M for control. I tweak my fill flash using the SB-800 with the D300 in M and I know what the camera is going to do. The camera will not over ride my tweaks when in M mode.
This camera was a lot of money for me but for the weddings it shines. I like the DX crop factor, being a people photographer, and it works well at the darker receptions. I never used Live View at all nor active D lighting because I don't need it. I don't use the fastest cards either and the camera writes fast enough for me to get a short burst if necessary without the SB-800 flash. Battery life is just fine. I carry a spare with me, even taking it to the beach.
Make no mistake about it. This is a pro levelcamera to me. Get a hand held meter and use it for consistent results.

Purchased At:   Dave's Camera Munste

Similar Products Used:   This reminds me of my old F3 camera bodies; pro level build and works well with my small hands for many years of service.

D300 or 7000

I was originally thinking of getting the 7000 so i could also shoot some video. However i now have a gopro i use for shooting the action sports video that i was going to use the 7000 for. Now it seems i can get used 300 or 7000 bodies for close to the same price. Any suggestions/ opinions?Read More »

nikon d300

Good morning everyone, I would buy a Nikon D300 on "planet iTrade stores' someone knows him, can you trust? hello thanks to allRead More »

File size on D300

I just got a d300s, I installed and reformatted my 8gb mem card and noticed that with my currents settings; quality fine and size large it will hold about 715 pics. I thought that was weird because that same card with the same size options on my d90 holds slightly over 1000 pics. Why would the d300 ... Read More »

Indoor sports - D300 at 6400 ISO

The Salon Modial Body Fitness is always a technical and aesthetic challenge. It brings together a host of Bodybuilders and Fitness fans for 3 days in a conference center lit only by standard neon lights for activities which move very fast. This year I wanted to do pictures of one of the Step cour ... Read More »

Nikon D700, Nikon D300, Canon EOS Kiss X3 15MP DSLR Camera

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]ACCESSORIES LIMITED, We specialize in a wide range of products such as laptops,Apple mobile phones, digital cameras,plasma & lcd tv, mp3 & mp4 players, video games console, ,camcorder, dvd players (Etc) at cheap & affordable prices EFFICIENCY: We are committed to serving ou ... Read More »