Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | Digital SLRs | Nikon

Nikon D3S Digital SLRs

5/5 (4 Reviews)
LCD : 3 in. Display | Max. ISO : Auto

• Product ID90831632
    Memory TypeCompactFlash Card Type I • CompactFlash Card Type II • IBM Microdrive
    Battery TypeRechargeable Li-Ion Battery
    Included AccessoriesSoftware • USB Cable • Driver • Battery Charger • Strap • AV Cable • Li-Ion Rechargable Battery
    Release Date2009
    Battery Life4,700 Images
    Image Sensor TypeCMOS
    Interchangeable LensInterchangeable Lenses
    ISO SpeedsAuto • 100 • 200 • 400 • 12800 • 25600
    ViewfinderOptical (Through-the-lens)
    Interface TypeUSB 2.0 • HDMI
    Self Timer2 Sec. • 5 Sec. • 10 Sec. • 20 Sec.
    Video Resolutions1280 x 720 • 320 x 216 • 640 x 424
    Flash TypeExternal
    White BalanceFluorescent (Preset) • Incandescent (Preset) • Shade (Preset) • Sunset (Preset) • Flash (Preset) • Colour Temperature Adjust
    Video FormatAVI • Motion JPEG • HD (High Definition)
    Family LineNikon D
    Shutter Speed30 - 1/8000 sec
    Digital ZoomWithout Digital Zoom
    Compression ModesNormal • Uncompressed • Basic
    Video Speed24 fps
    Camera TypeSLR/Professional
    Frames Per Second9 Frames
    Compression TypeJPEG • Raw Image • DPOF 1.1 • EXIF 2.21 • DCF 2.0
    Image Resolutions1776 x 1184 • 3552 x 2368 • 4256 x 2832 • 3184 x 2120 • 2128 x 1416 • 2784 x 1848 • 2080 x 1384 • 1392 x 920
    Tripod MountWith Tripod Mount
    Flash FunctionsFront Sync Flash • Rear Sync Flash • Red-eye Reduction Flash • Slow Sync
    LCD ScreenWith LCD Screen
    LCD Screen Size3 in.

Nikon's latest professional digital SLR body, the 12-megapixel FX-format D3S pushes the ISO limit to an incredible ISO 102,400 (Hi 3 expanded). Designed for photographers who need speed and low light capability, the D3S is perfect for sports photographers, photojournalists, concert and event photographers. Basic Specs:
  • 12.1 megapixel full frame CMOS sensor
  • Sensitivity range: ISO 200 to 12,800 (expanded to ISO 102,400)
  • D-Movie mode: 720p at 24 frames per second
  • Frame rate: 9 FPS full resolution NEF RAW
  • 3-Inch 921,000-dot LCD Monitor
  • 51-point auto focus system
  • 100% viewfinder
  • Sensor cleaning

Submitted by zerodog a Professional

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2011

Strengths:    High ISO Performance. Blows EVERYTHING out of the water in this area. No other camera made right at this moment even comes close. In a league of its own.

12megapixels. This leads to smaller files and is easier to deal with for event work

Very fast autofocus and very reliable tracking

Big serious camera. Feels solid, looks solid. Built to last like no other camera I have held in my hands.

Very nice looking video even in very very low light.

Weaknesses:    No flash or other means to trigger the Nikon CLS for off camera flash.
    The color Red and Magenta. Tends to blow them out badly under certain conditions.
    Big and heavy but this is also sort of a plus depending on how you look at it.
    No AF tracking in video

Bottom Line:
    The D3s is an amazing workhorse camera. It has changed the way I go about taking pictures due to the high ISO ability. I shoot mostly low light action. I have probably shot more at 10,000 and 12,800 ISO than any other setting. It is just stunning. At these levels the noise is completely manageable in LR3.

In use the D3s is big and heavy. But it balances very well with bigger lenses such as a 24-70 and 70-200. So it doesn't seem to wear me out. At normal ISOs the colors and textures that big sensor puts out are beautiful and rich. The controls are all easy to find and use. If you use any other Nikon DSLR you will instantly be able to use the D3s.

The only complaint I have with this camera is that it doesn't have a way to trigger off camera flashes. Not that it needs a pop up flash itself. Just a way to emit the signal to trigger the Nikon CLS. I use this quite a bit and it would be nice to use my SB900 as a flash, instead of a trigger.

Purchased At:   Pictureline in SLC

Similar Products Used:   D300s, D700

Submitted by Michealblad a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2010

Strengths:    Amazing picture quality, fast auto focus, high iso performance, superb build quality, excellent layout, beautiful lcd screen, best dslr ever (imo)

Weaknesses:    Only one. I wish you didn't have to hold the AE-L, AF-L down to use it.. On a Canon 1d body you only have to press it once to lock it. no other weaknesses

Bottom Line:
    First, I will say that i have owned many high end cameras, mostly Canon. I owned the 1D mark II, 1D mark III, 5D, 5D mark II. I recently switched to Nikon. First, the D700, which was an excellent camera, and now the D3S. I have to say that it is the best camera i have ever held, or used. Its sensor performance is amazing! I've taken photos at iso 12800 and 10000 with no noise reduction other than in camera, and the photos were so clean and colorful, i couldn't believe it. The functions and buttons are well laid out as so many other nikon users say. I am still new to the camera system, but i feel it is better than any other I have used. A winner for sure. I cant wait to use it more and more. Now i must buy some more lenses. I currently use my 135mm f/2 DC on my D3S and a 60mm f/2.8g micro. Both are super sharp lenses which fully compliment this camera.. I need a long lens now. Anywho, happy picture taking to all.

Purchased At:   www.donsphoto.com

Submitted by photodoggy a Professional

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2010

Strengths:    Duel CF slots, manual controls, Absolute incredible high ISO, silent mode,

Weaknesses:    Price, Low light cameras should have buttons that light up as well - I could really use that feature,

Bottom Line:
    Scared out of my mind, a couple weeks ago I sold $10,000 Canon equipment to get this camera and switch to Nikon. I shoot concerts professionally and was using a 5d mark 2. I used it because I love full frame and using super wide angle lenses. I have not shot any concerts with the D3s yet, but not being bias toward either brand, Let me just say this camera is amazing. Canon I feel has led the race until now. I've been testing the camera since I received it about a week ago, I usually shoot 3200 Iso with my 5d mark 2, besides the autofocus being terrible in low light, I would always have a battle with noise. This camera I tested in low light in my house on some christmas figurines and I shot at 6400, I AM TRULEY AMAZED!!!!!!!!! Almost no noise with no noise filters added. With adding Noiseware Pro added, All noise was gone and looked like 400 iso. I am in total disbelief. Also low light focusing is amazing as well. Also, I personally need super wide angle. I personally switched because my Canon 16-35L 2.8 on the new mark 4 would be roughly 21mm at its widest setting. NO GOOD for me. The new D3s with the 14-24 will be a true 14 mm. Last the duel CF slots and Manual controls secured my decision. After using the manual controls instead of searching Canon menus for the same options that have a manual control on the Nikon, I will never go back. If I may also add, and most who read this will think I am crazy but in addition to the camera I purchased the 70-200 2.8 VR II, This rez this lens can produce is breath taking, sharpness beyond anything I've ever seen come from a zoom lens and many prime lens. Super Tack sharp, even when zoomed way in on the Camera LCD. The D3s with this lens is a surreal combo.

Purchased At:   JR music world

Submitted by knowbody a Professional

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2009

Strengths:    Low noise at unbelievably high ISO ranges. Extremely fast in all respects such as continuous shooting, focus and high shutter speeds due to its ISO range.

Weaknesses:    I haven't really found any weaknesses yet, other than it's very big and heavy (of course for a pro body). Lenses are also bigger because of the full frame FX sensor to get the focal lengths I need.

Bottom Line:
    With a few weeks of use under my belt, the D3S certainly lives up to all the hype. My shots at ISO 12,800 with standard in camera high ISO NR are close to perfect. All my experimental shots at ISO 25,600, 51,200 and even 102,400 are better than acceptable, especially if I apply noise reduction using Dfine 2.0 using a standard profile. Shots taken at ISO 102,400 were in what I'd call darkness, so I was impressed that the camera could even focus and take any shot. I saw things in those images that were not visible to the naked eye.

Although it's not the reason I bought the camera, the movie mode is fun. The camera uses the contrast detection focusing system and auto-focuses very nicely while making a movie. I have been able to take pictures in near darkness since it can go all the way to ISO 102,400, which is pretty amazing. The video quality is excellent even at 720p.

Purchased At:   Amazon.com/CameraHer

Similar Products Used:   Nikon D2Xs, Mamiya 645 Pro TL, Zenza Bronica ETRS II, various Canon bodies.

Nikon D4s AF much faster than D3s?

I am just wondering whether there is anybody here who has/had both the Nikon D3s and D4s. I would like to find out whether it was worth upgrading from the D3s to D4s. Does the D4s have a better, more accurate AF? Any aspects you like? I am a wedding photographer and would like to have somebody's ... Read More »

A few night soccer shots with the D4 and D3s

D3s with the 70-200mm [ATTACH=CONFIG]90910[/ATTACH]D D4 with the 400mm f 2.8 [ATTACH=CONFIG]90911[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]90912[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]90913[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]90914[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]90915[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]90916[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]90917[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]90 ... Read More »

First D3s Basketball pics.

Just got the Nikon D3s, here are a few of the first pics with this camera. Shot at ISO 5000 at 1/500 and f2.8.Read More »

Nikon D3s has landed!

I pulled the trigger on a Nikon D3s on Cyber Monday. I have bee tracking them on the major photography sales outlets and Ebay for the last month or so. On Monday the price was the lowest I had seen it since I started looking and I pulled the trigger quickly Monday morning. It arrived this afterno ... Read More »

Night football with the D3s and High iso

Shot with the D3s, 400mm f2.8 and 200mm f2. All are at 5000 and 8000 iso. 1 [IMG]http://jacobovitz.smugmug.com/photos/1006490765_EwHUS-L.jpg[/IMG] 2 [IMG]http://jacobovitz.smugmug.com/photos/1006490922_BRbYg-L.jpg[/IMG] 3 [IMG]http://jacobovitz.smugmug.com/photos/1006490519_gLqSf-L.jpg[/IMG] ... Read More »