Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | Digital SLRs | Nikon

Nikon D600 Digital SLRs

MSRP : $2099.00

The Nikon D600 was designed for photographers who want the image quality and low light performance of a full-frame sensor at a more reasonable price. It has a 24-megapixel FX-format (full-frame) CMOS sensor, 1080p full-HD video with full-time auto focus and 5.5 FPS high-speed burst. It also has a durable weather-sealed body with a 100% optical viewfinder and 150k-rated shutter assembly.

Submitted by Eddie Clark a Professional

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2013

Strengths:    Excellent image quality and high ISO performance. Very wide ISO range. Excellent video quality. Light-weight, robust body, weather sealing, lower profile than D800 or D4. Generic scene modes, and programmable U1 and U2 settings. Ittl control for on camera and off-camera Nikon speedlights. Pop-up flash that is adequate for closer photos. Dual SD slots to support 64gb total memory. Battery holds charge well. Large accurate display. Lot's of programmable options for personalized settings.

Weaknesses:    No aperture control in video/live view, new zoom in/out button position makes them feel like they're reversed compared to the D4, 39 point vs 51 point af sensor, max 1/4000th shutter speed, no 10-pin remote terminal but MCDC2 port provides same function with different cable, and dust issues early on that were easily corrected by cleaning the sensor with Visible Dust solution and V-Swabs. Except the dust issue, none of these are weaknesses so much as they are simply less features from what's offered on the more expensive D800 and D4 bodies. And, even the dust issue goes away with a little use, and every camera sensor will require cleaning if lenses are changed outdoors. To elaborate on the left side buttons a little more, I'd be happy if they ditched the picture control/touch-up button on the D600, and made all the left side buttons/functions identical to the D4- it's what really messes me up.

Bottom Line:
I've owned and shot Nikon's D100, D200, D300, D700, and the D4 (my current work camera) as well as numerous point and shoots and even a mirrorless 4/3rds camera over the last 10 years, so yes, I am biased towards full frame sensors. With that said, IMHO, it's irrelevant to compare a D600 to an APS-C or mirrorless camera so if you own DX lenses or are looking for something that is cheaper and delivers less results, then move on to a different review. My D600 was purchased 4 months ago to replace a D700 as a backup body, travel camera, walk-around camera, and back country snowboarding and mtn bike camera, which it has done brilliantly- no regrets here!

While I pointed out several weaknesses, I don't see any of them as a true weakness but instead things to expect if you're wondering whether or not this body is for you. Now for the good, this is an amazing and capable camera body. Image quality rivals the D800e and surpasses everything else in the Nikon line. Look up the DXO sensor tests if you don't believe me. With a 24mp sensor, it's no problem to switch to DX mode to extend the focal length of the lens being used while still being able to render a completely usable image that will hold up in print. This is a notable point for staying low profile in street or travel use where big lenses generate big attention making it harder to take the photo you're looking for. Throw a 20mm 2.8D, 28mm 1.8G or 50mm 1.8G on this body, and you've got the perfect light and relatively compact setup. Nothing says "rob me" or shy away from the camera like a big lens.

Particulars, having a 39 point AF sensor doesn't limit this cameras ability, especially if you program/use the AF/AEL features to recompose properly, and lastly the files are so big that a slight crop leaves plenty to work with when going to print. Viewfinder field of view coverage is something like 96 percent, which like the 39 point AF sensor, is also a non-issue. Pretty much everything I wrote about in the Weakness section is a non-issue for my use of this camera.

Also, I bought my D600 as a kit from B&H on a 48 hour sale for less than $2000, which included a 24-85 VR lens (that I sold for $330 on Ebay), a spare battery, 32gb SanDisk Extreme memory card, and a LowePro 170 camera bag and Oben monopod. $1670 for a new body with basic accessories was a great deal! If you get on the Adorama and B&H mailing list and stay on top of your email you'll occasionally be able to jump on these excellent but seldom offered deals.

For a review of photos I've taken with this camera, have a look at these Costa Rica trip photos taken last month. All were shot with either the Nikon 28mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8G, or 85mm 1.8G lenses. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rky_mtn_srfr/

Price Paid:    $1996.00

Purchased At:   B&H

Similar Products Used:   D100, D200, D300, D700, and the D4

Submitted by dl4449 a Casual

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2013

Strengths:    I have had my D600 for a couple of months now.
Just a few observations
I bought it as a backup for my D700 but after a few day of shooting the D700 is now the backup.
I like image quality; It is lighter than my D700. The ISO performance is great, it has a remote sensor on the back as well as the front, which I think is great, you have to set the camera to remote before via the mode dial before using the remote. It uses the ML-L3 remote, which is inexpensive $16.00. I did not purchase it for the movie function but after shooting a few minutes of video and viewing on my 52in TV I am impressed. I don’t feel the need to carry my video camera, as the movie quality is quite good.
The user1 and user2 function looks like it would be nice to set up for different shooting situations.
For what it is worth it also has 19 different scene modes.
With dual card slots you can assign the second card for overflow, backup or movies.
You can take stills while shooting video as it has a separate button for movies.
It also has a auto DX crop mode that can be turned on and off. When activated the 600 will detect Nikon DX lens.
You can also manually the image area to be used, which the 600 will apply regardless of what lens is mounted. Your choices are FX or DX

Weaknesses:    What’s not so good for me.

With 25-39 Meg raw files it takes a long time to upload to the computer
I would prefer CF cards instead of SD I think they are faster.
Controls are very different than the D700 still getting used to that.
I miss the focus lock no the back of the camera near the main dial (I think you can program on of the other buttons for that function).
I don’t like the push button on the mode dial kind of awkward (I will have get used to it).

Bottom Line:
I think this camera is definitely worth the money

Price Paid:    $1995.00

Purchased At:   San Jose Camera

D600 with Tamron 150-600mm

I took this today hand held at 600mm with my new Tamron 150-600mm lens and D600, Jeff [ATTACH=CONFIG]93085[/ATTACH]Read More »

Tip for easily changing from FX to DX mode on the D600

[h=2]Changing from FX to DX mode easily[/h] [INDENT] Tip for changing from FX to DX mode on the [URL="http://nikonites.com/products/dslr-3/d600-238/"]D600[/URL] This is something that you may not use a whole lot but would be nice to have easy access to it if you are out shooting and need the ex ... Read More »

Nikon to replace D600 shutter free of charge

Nikon will replace D699 shutters free of charge even if your camera is not under warranty. [url]http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/hs309y82/Technical-Service-Advisory-for-Users-of-the-Nikon-D600-Digital-SLR-Camera.html[/url]Read More »

D600 at ISO 6400

I shot this image hand held of my son carving pumpkins at [COLOR=#ff0000][B]ISO 6400[/B][/COLOR] with my D600 using a Nikon 70-200VR lens with a 20E III 2X teleconverter. This is straight out of the camera except for re-size so I could post it. This is a JPEG image. [ATTACH=CONFIG]92251[/ATTACH]Read More »

Nikon Pumps Up The D600 - New D610

[ATTACH=CONFIG]92237[/ATTACH] Nikon announced the D610 tonight. Basically, it's the D600 with a new shutter that allowed them to increase the burst rate to 6 FPS. Learn all about it, here: [url=http://reviews.photographyreview.com/nikon-d610-fx-format-dslr-speed-6-fps][B]Nikon D610 Announced[/B] > ... Read More »