Home | Reviews | Cameras | Digital Cameras | Digital SLRs | Nikon

Nikon D7000 Digital SLRs

Resolution : 16 Megapixels | LCD : 3 inch Display | Max. ISO : 6400

• Camera TypeSLR/Professional
    HD Recording Format1080p (HDTV) • 720p (HDTV)
    LCD Screen Size3 in.
    Interchangeable LensInterchangeable Lenses
    Image Sensor TypeCMOS
    Image Resolutions2464 x 1632
    Video Resolutions640 x 424 • HD (1280 x 720) • 1920 x 1080
    Video Speed24 fps
    Video FormatQuickTime
    Shutter Speed1/2 - 1/8000 sec
    White BalanceAuto • Manual • Daylight / Sunny (Preset) • Cloudy (Preset) • Fluorescent (Preset) • Incandescent (Preset) • Shade (Preset) • Flash (Preset)
    Frames Per Second6 Frames
    LCD ScreenWith LCD Screen
    Interface TypeUSB 2.0 • HDMI
    Battery TypeRechargeable Li-Ion Battery
    Battery Life1,050 Images
    Self Timer2 Sec. • 5 Sec. • 10 Sec. • 20 Sec.
    Tripod MountWith Tripod Mount
    Depth3 in.
    Family LineNikon D
    Included AccessoriesSoftware • USB Cable • Battery Charger • Strap • AV Cable • Li-Ion Rechargable Battery
    Release DateOctober, 2010

The Nikon D7000 is a 16-megapixel DX format (APS-C sensor) digital SLR with 1080p HD video and improved low light image quality. It has completely redesigned AF and metering systems and full-time continuous auto focus in movie mode. It has a sturdy body construction with a magnesium inner chassis, built for professional use.

Nikon D7000 Pro Review

Nikon’s 16-megapixel D7000 fits into their DSLR lineup between the entry-level D3100 and the pro-spec’d D300s DX format cameras. It delivers near professional-level camera performance in a compact, user-friendly body. It’s packed with pro-level features like a six frames-per-second burst rate, new 39-point auto focus system and a digital level, yet it still has scene modes and a pure auto mode for beginners. It also has full HD video and continuous auto focus in movie mode. I’ve been using the D7000 for a few months and I’ve shot skiing, bike racing... Continue reading →

Submitted by zoomdaddy a Expert

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2012

Strengths:    Image quality

Custom settings - manual focus lens (non chipped lenses can be registered (up to 10)

Flash control

Movie mode is very good, the auto focus in movie mode is good not great,

Movie quality is very good

Weaknesses:    I do prefer CF cards over SD,

not to much to consider a weakness

Bottom Line:
Bought the D7000 with extras (lens,grip extra battery, extras) Just moved away from shooting Sony for about 6 years. I wanted a system that I could build with felt like Nikon is it. SO far I have not been disappointed.

I do have some Nikon glass which is very good but I have found that even 3rd party glass works very well, I do not have any VR rated lenses and have not found that to be a problem as of yet, even in low light situations, not having the Stabilization means you need to get your technique down.

Overall a very good camera with a great feature set

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Sony A580

Submitted by tmoffatt a Expert

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2011

Strengths:    I have a number of non-autofocus quality Nikon lenses, and the D7000 makes it easy to store their details of focal length and maximum lens opening. It allows nine different lenses!

Speed of use - the reaction speed for instant photography when the button is half depressed is little short of amazing. I always considered the D2X fast, but the D7000 is even faster, at least in the field.

Focus accuracy - Besides the internal workings generally being fast, both the accuracy and speed of the focus system deserves special praise.

Flexibility - This camera allows such a variety of different ways of working that it should be adaptable to most image-makers.

Reliable - I have found this camera always does what it says it will do. It is a docile thoroughbred.

Weatherproofing - While there would certainly be bounds for this camera - I would not like to have it out in a hurricane - it is quite well weatherproofed. I used it in major deluges of rain while slogging along the banks of the Margaree River in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, merely mopping the camera on occasion, and it was fine.

Weight - This is a well balanced camera that is not too heavy, yet is rugged enough. Balances well with my favorite lenses, such as the Nikon 12-24.

Weaknesses:    Flash "thinking" - The one area I found that a time lag existed was when it was calculating and preparing flash for complex lighting situations.

Onboard microphone - The actual sound circuitry is good, and does well with an external microphone (I have a Rode Videomic Pro).

Bottom Line:
I purchased a Nikon D7000 (ever so lightly used) on Ebay, to supplement my Nikon D2X I had bought about 7 years ago. the D7000 immediately became my favorite of the two. First, the autofocus is incredibly fast and accurate. Secondly, the lag time is very, very short. I work in Atlantic salmon restoration, and in late June was taking photos of leaping salmon - often they are out of the water 1 sec. or less. I achieved a great number of successes due to the fast reaction time of the camera.

The D7000 felt perfect in my hands, which are of average size, and the arrangement of the main controls was both logical and most definitely an improvement over the great D2X.

The feel of the camera is of a high end professional model, and I have been very happy with the results.

I used the HD Video capability, especially in a work trip to northern Newfoundland, and most especially visiting the Underground Salmon Pool, where Atlantic salmon swim upstream through caverns. The video was flawless, although naturally the sound from the inboard microphone leaves much to be desired.

This review is concentrating on the "use" of the camera, and I will give it 4.8 stars out of five for fast, efficient use. Everything is where it should be, lens changes happen efficiently, etc. I would deduct .2 stars (1/5) just because it is so capable, that there were a few things I needed to check the manual on before setting in the menus. Nevertheless, the menu system on this model is excellent.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   D2X - Used for about seven years
Earlier film based Nikons of many sorts.

Submitted by Marcus a Intermediate

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2011

Strengths:    Good sensor
Good dynamic range
Good high iso performance
100% viewfinder coverage
2 SD card slots
Nice Auto ISO configuration.

Weaknesses:    - Not enough buffer space for continious mode shooting. So if you need more then 10 frames/ 2 seconds continuous shooting don't buy this camera.

- On high contrast scenes bright areas may be compromised. I.e. sunny blue sky can become white. but Focus point is always correctly exposed. So I guess we dont get analogue quality yet. These problems can be resolved easily with CaptureNX2 control points and only occurs in specific situation.

Bottom Line:
I was looking for my first DSLR. Canon did not feel good in my hands at all, Nikon felt perfect. Had to choose between nikon D90 and D7000. Chose the D7000 because of the better sensor.

For me the buttons and menus make perfect sense on this camera. Sensor is really really good. Good dynamic range good color bit depth good high iso performance, nikon is superior in this department beats canon easily.

With regular photoalbum size pictures you can easily go to 3200 ISO and it still looks good.

Sensor is so good that it actually needs very good lenses. I advise at least nikkor 16-85mm or nikkor 70-300mm EDGVR kind of lens quality.

Only disappointment on this camera is the buffer. It gets into trouble after ten 14 bits raw files in continious mode.

Purchased At:   Mediamarkt

Similar Products Used:   Its my fiest DSLR, Only had a Canon G9 before and that one was out of focus all the time.

Submitted by Aungwin a Beginner

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2011

Strengths:    Low noise up to ISO-1600

Bottom Line:
The Nikon D7000 has low noise in higher ISO for the price of camera for 16.2MP clean up to ISO-1600. Like the custom pre-set dial of U1 and U2.

Purchased At:   Internet